Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IDW Ongoing Comics(Stormbringer Spotlight Infiltration Escalation Devastation AHMetc.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'd ban them for not using spoiler tags.

But yeah there's prob no reason to read that issue now.

Eplains why
    Rodimus
    is suddenly so prominent though, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Interestingly, IDW are going on the new PSP comic digital download service, so I imagine TF will feature in that.

As for the storyline here... I'll still end up checking it out. I won't be happy because the entire story arc is a bit ruined, but I guess it's how they get to "that" stage in the story, and what happens after that matters.

Interestingly, IDW are going on the new PSP comic digital download service, so I imagine TF will feature in that.

As for the storyline here... I'll still end up checking it out. I won't be happy because the entire story arc is a bit ruined, but I guess it's how they get to "that" stage in the story, and what happens after that matters.
    We all know Primes going to have to be released/find faith in himself to fight whatever the series big bad is, and the autobots will appear incompetent in the meantime. How many times did Marvel work this angle?

I hope the above is totally wrong by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Finally picked up Ongoing #1 today and it's a good read. If it werent for all the preview spoilers and that BIG spoiler on tfw2005 I would have been blown away.
    Still not completely sold on the robot faces though. While there was some good emotion in there, Bumblebee and Hot Rod have basically the same face. I loved Spike Witwicky's ironic "Where do they come up with these names?" quip.
    Anyone notice in the issue 2 cover preview it labelled Hot rod as Rodimus? Hmmm......... It seems to be fixed now though.
    Newsarama have a five page preview of #2. It's not as spoilerific as issue 1, but viewer discretion is advised:
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=32253

I love Brawn's new design. Very macho. I like where the story is headed.
    Gotta love the new Omega Supreme too:
    TF_ONGO_02_final-page3.jpg

edit: I have also been informed that due to great demand #1 has had a second printing. Here is the new cover:
    attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=25418

Wait wait wait, WHAAAAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!??!?!?!
    There's HOW MANY issues of All Hail Megatron?

Didn't
    Megatron die at the end of issue 12?
    I'm picking up AHM volume 2 today.

PS: I have edited the thread title so this can be our thread for discussing all things in the IDW continuity.
    The IDW Beast Wars, Hearts of Steel, Marvel reprints etc. can be discussed elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ooh i like that new cover for the reprint !

very nice.

the lads on the IDW site are saying the second issue tones down the facial features a fair bit so i think dons still finding his feet with his new style. the dinosaur i have in work wont let me see the preview pages properly but i got an email off my supplier telling me the second issue is due out this thursday so hopefully i'll have it in my mits by monday.

from what i COULD make out the tone seems to be quite intrigueing and i have to admit brawn does indeed look great

i still havent got issue one yet (its being packaged with issue two and TOTF 4 ) but im looking forward to getting em.

not as much as the wreckers book in january mind, but still im giving it a chance.

Second preview looks much more inriguing and moody to me.

So I read All Hail Megatron Volume 2 and thought it was a good read. I'll spoilerise my thoughts and questions just for safety.

The good:
    Great to see Omega Supreme finally cut loose.
    After a disappointing showing in the Dreamwave comics
    where he gets beaten by Sunstorm
    and in Spotlight: Optimus Prime
    where Monstructor batters him
    I also really enjoyed the scenes involving the Autobots on Cybertron. There was some great tension and character building there, while the Swarm posed as a real menace.
    Bombshell's character was well written as an intellectual schemer. His argument with Skywarp, not to mention the argy bargy between the Insecticons and Thundercracker and Skywarp, were both well done.
    Speaking of Thundercracker, finally a comic gets his character spot on!
    Megatron taking on Devastator was pretty epic. The artwork was great there too.
    There was a really creepy scene with Reflector toying with the human/talking to himself. I loved it.

The bad:
    The artwork gets really crap when Spike and the other humans fight Rumble. I could have drawn that well, which isn't saying a whole lot. In fact, that whole scene was a bit ridiculous. I mean, Spike charging out on a motorcycle was very cringeworthy.

Optimus Prime's return was pretty out of the blue. One minute he's practically dead, then Ratchet does something and he's back, better than ever!

Questions:
    Drift:
    Is he supposed to be Ramjet or something? He calls Thundercracker his brother at one point while Bumblebee questioned his right to bein the same room as the Autobots. Plus he has a similar colour palette. Simon Furman did say at one point that Ramjet might not be gone for good.
    Maybe I'm reading into it far too much. I don't think anyone as sadistic as Ramjet could ever become an Autobot.

Dirge and Breakdown:
    They end up on Cybertron with the Autobots and it's heavily implied taht the Autobots unload a can of whoop-ass on them. But, Breakdown is on Earth in ongoing #1.

Refelector: In Spotlight Wheelie
    don't the Reflector bots die? According to Continuum this story takes place long before AHM. Or is Reflector meant to be a seperate entity from Spectro, Spyglass and Viewfinder? They did look different...

Volumes 3 and 4?
    I mean where is the story set to go from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nemesis Prime

Dublin City Comics have moved into Modelmania in Crow St, Temple Bar and are now selling the latest IDW Transformers titles. The best thing is that they are selling them at the Cover price in Euros, so $3.99 on the cover means you pay €3.99 which is cheaper than all the other comic stores. To find out more or start up a standing order ,contact them at dublincitycomics@yahoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Galvasean wrote: »
    Refelector: In Spotlight Wheelie
    don't the Reflector bots die? According to Continuum this story takes place long before AHM. Or is Reflector meant to be a seperate entity from Spectro, Spyglass and Viewfinder? They did look different...
    Yup. But AHM is Fanfic and has no bearing on the overallIDW story.

AHM brought out the hater in me big time.

Even if Drift wasn't in it. It just stunk up the joint.
    And made little or no sense with what has come before.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Optimus Prime's return was pretty out of the blue. One minute he's practically dead, then Ratchet does something and he's back, better than ever!
    Yeah I figured the trade I read had some missing pages. but apparently not.

And Transformer versus Nuke was silly when DW did it. Why did the nuke have to be dropped atall if the plane was decepticon.

• Advertisement

MarkHall wrote: »
    And Transformer versus Nuke was silly when DW did it. Why did the nuke have to be dropped atall if the plane was decepticon.

I felt it was better done this time round. I think
    Megatron wanted to let the nuke be dropped in order to spite/kill the Autobots

Oh yeah, I slapped some spoilers on your post mark, just in case.
    Dublin City Comics have moved into Modelmania in Crow St, Temple Bar and are now selling the latest IDW Transformers titles. The best thing is that they are selling them at the Cover price in Euros, so $3.99 on the cover means you pay €3.99 which is cheaper than all the other comic stores. To find out more or start up a standing order ,contact them at dublincitycomics@yahoo.com

Yeah, it's so refreshing to pick up a comic for less than a fiver. I've already got my standing order for ngoing, Bumblebee and Wreckers.

Speaking of the Wreckers I'm really looking forward to that one. Loved Nick Roche's work* on Maximum Dinobots. That guy can really do an action scene!

*that said I loved the James Raiz bits. He really captured the gritty atmosphere of
    the Monsterbots' ship. Speaking of whom, what a surprise that was! (well, had it not been written on the back of the TP..)
    I think Raiz is my favourite of the TF comic artists. His robot faces display amazing amounts of emotion. Anyone know if he has anything in the pipeline?

Spotlight Prowl is coming in April :)

Another Q&A session with Andy Schmidt. Some tough questions posed here:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/interviews-27/idw-publishing-qa-answers-for-november-2009-168879/

edit: oh hey, our very own ChopperByrne is in there :)

No problem Sean.
    Should have done it but I was in rant mode.

Wreckers should be Bloody great. Nicks Kup back story in AHM. Was one of the few bits I enjoyed.

The Bumble Bee mini has had some good covers.

6 page preview of Bumblebee#1:
    http://www.previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=23&s=216&ai=89837&ssd=

Looks promising. Atwork is fairly retro but I like it.

i have to say ive caved and decided to get that bumblebee mini.

i wasnt going to get it but the solicits were showing a really interesting story and the art harkens back to the really early days of the ol marvel uk series with a lovely kinda washed painted feel to it.

i really like the way omega looks in that pic and the sence of scale with BB in the foreground really comes across.

its also fun to see the ol "how do we get fed ?" angle being touched on again. i bugged me big time in the movie that their fuel was never broached after 2 years on earth living in a garage , so things like omega being so low on energon that he cant transform is kinda cool.

it shows a logical progression of "real world" thinking at work by the writer that bodes well for the story.

oh and on the AHM trades thing.

its just a marketing ploy to cash in on it . apparently for all the slagging it got off fans AHMs made a bloody fortune. the next two trades are really just the coda series of short stories and the last four (or is it five? ) spotlights , cliffjumper , metroplex etc
    oh and on the nuke thing , i thought it was megs plan from the start to level new york to send out a signal to the humans that he couldnt be stopped while "theyd" just killed all the remaining human refugees. ok it wasnt made clear if the structure he was building was shielded or not. but it was clear he knew what was going on thanks to the troops he had stashed amongst the army (one of the BEST reveals after such an overt story), not to mention octane himself (refuse to use the tankor name :) ) carrying the bomb

oh and on the AHM trades thing.

its just a marketing ploy to cash in on it . apparently for all the slagging it got off fans AHMs made a bloody fortune. the next two trades are really just the coda series of short stories and the last four (or is it five? ) spotlights , cliffjumper , metroplex etc

Ah crap, I have spotlight Cliffjumper and Metroplex and hav eordered AHM3 and 4. Crap.

Bumble Bee is in Charge? How the heck does anyone go for that?

Cause everybody else worth their salt upped n' left?
    I would have thought Prowl and Hound would have been higher up in the pecking order.

And Wheelies trapped on an unknown planet.

Shame he didn't get the Matrix before prime went.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Didn't realise my question was used for that Q&A.

Unfortunate that they can't legally continue any DW stuff as the Armada/Energon comics were really good.

Ongoing #2 was very good as was Bumblebee #1.

Very happy with IDW at the moment and hope they keep the license for many years.

• Advertisement

I woonder if the Stunticons are actually showing up properly, or is it just a fun cover?

attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=25901

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ooooh Menasor could be fun.

Speaking of really big Decepticons, here's a preview of Wreckers:
    attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=25993

is that Flywheels?
    Well done Mr. Roche

It's none other than Overlord.

Preview of issue 3.
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=1625

edit: what a twist! :eek:

i have to say im really getting turned off that art style now.

i applaud the audacity to try this, but its just not my cup of tea. im liking the story though and its going in some interesting directions but its getting so i may just leave it for trades now like what i do for avengers and x men.

have to admit i never thought i'd say that about a TF book. :(

The new style face suits Jetfire. Alas, it doesn't fit everyone else. If they just toned it down a little it would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nemesis Prime

Last Stand of the Wreckers issue 1 is out now. And it's awesome!

Check out our short chat with Nick when he popped into J in Modelmania last weekend.

http://tfio.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=staffaves&action=display&thread=716&page=1

• Advertisement

Wreckers is Fun.

Plus Impactor.
    :)

Advertisement