Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samuel Beckett Bridge

Options
  • 09-12-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Samuel Beckett Bridge to open for traffic 11th Dec 2009

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/news/story.asp?ID=1504

The Samuel Beckett Bridge Officially Opening - Fri 11th Dec
    Updated: 09/12/2009 16:46:35
    The Samuel Beckett Bridge officially opens at 7am on Fri 11th Dec.
    This will link Guild Street on the northside of Dublin City with Sir John Rogerson’s Quay on the southside. To facilitate the opening ceremony, which takes place at the Bridge tomorrow, Gárdai will close Sir John Rogerson’s Quay from 3.15pm to 4.30pm between the Cardiff lane and Lime St. jct. Motorists are advised to take alternative routes during this time.

Samuel_Beckett_Bridge_with_Conference_Centre_BIG_Ronnie_Norton[2].jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So in pseudomodern Dublin you must close a road to open a bridge, ****ing typical :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In fairness SJRQ has been closed eastbound between Lime St and Cardiff lane for a long time at this stage. Not exactly a massive change.

Great to see it opening though, should make a huge difference to traffic and maybe pinch a few quid off the Eastlink crowd (presuming you'll be allowed come from Macken St and turn right onto North Wall Quay).

I can see traffic becoming brutal outside the O2 though as a result, that little roundabout can't handle all the people that will choose this route home to the Northside areas like Clontarf, Raheny, Howth etc and it'll need to be upgraded to lights + slip left onto East Wall Road. What's East Wall Road like at rush hour these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

That building in front of it, is nothing but hideous. It's one of those buildings that an archtect was desparate to find a bold design, but came up with that heap of ****e! Square box with a pint tilted. Not creative at all, not to mention the design does not suit the nature of the building purpose.

I say knock it put a tree there, it would be lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

sdonn wrote: »
    I can see traffic becoming brutal outside the O2 though as a result, that little roundabout can't handle all the people that will choose this route home to the Northside areas like Clontarf, Raheny, Howth etc and it'll need to be upgraded to lights + slip left onto East Wall Road. What's East Wall Road like at rush hour these days?
    You won't be able to turn right onto NWQ from the bridge.

I've attached the traffic management for the new bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

An awful lot of restrictions on turning in that traffic plan. Looks like it's designed to take traffic from Pearse Street onto the North Circular / Portland Row at the Five Lamps, a very slow junction from that side. You can only use the right turn onto Mayor Street Upper if you are going for East Wall Road Clontarf area. Looks straight forward north to south NCR to Pearse Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

You wont get far going up Mayor Street. There are one way bits and turn restrictions, you wont get out to East Wall that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭obi604

One thing I noticed, so when im on the northside on guild street and I want to head towards the southside, looks like I cant drive straight over the bridge, can only take a left or right , but thats not detailed in the freeflow map.however, on the road markings on guild street, they only have left and right arrows just before the bridge , no straight on . anybody have any news on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I gather its no right turn to go to the Port tunnel? will people ignore the rules

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

This is being discussed on RTE Radio 1 LiveLine.

(You can listen back to the show at http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/ once it's uploaded.)

The assumption seems to be that there is

- no right turn allowed coming off the north end of the bridge
    - and no left turn allowed onto the bridge on the north end
    - etc.
    (see http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/Documents/SK-3004_Rev_D.pdf for a map )

in order to keep up revenues at the East Link toll bridge. :mad:

Whatever about right turns, "No left turn" is just plain stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone figured a way around the no turn restriction but as he said it out loud the Corpo will be on to it quickly to doubt.

It sounds like an utterly pointless structure from my (distant) vantage point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I used the bridge today,

Firstly, it is welcomed loads to have another crossing point.

But

Getting to it is not easy as there are so many turning restrictions, and when you cross you can't get to your street cos of more turning restrictions.

So after my trial run today I will be going back to driving through town.

Also, has anyone seen any direction signs telling motorists and cyclists how to get to it?

It seem funny that they can spend €60 million on a new bridge and not put up one proper direction sign for Ringsend or Spencer Dock, or City North or South. It is like a hidden route (if you don't need to turn).

I saw one finger post sign at the Five Lamps, and it looked so cheap small and tacky, and was already spinning around the lamp post in the wind. I only saw it cos I was stopped at the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

mysterious wrote: »
    That building in front of it, is nothing but hideous. It's one of those buildings that an archtect was desparate to find a bold design, but came up with that heap of ****e! Square box with a pint tilted. Not creative at all, not to mention the design does not suit the nature of the building purpose.

That's the National Conference Centre

dublin-national-conference-centre_03_Paoek_58.jpg

dublin-national-conference-centre_01_RM8OC_58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Walked past the bridge this evening. Looks fantastic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mysterious wrote: »

Pretty ignorant comment, and completely at odds with everyone else's view.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

spacetweek wrote: »
    Pretty ignorant comment, and completely at odds with everyone else's view.

I agree, i like the building but i suppose the guy is entitled to his opinion.

I have noticed that there are no bicycles painted on the bicycle lanes going from North to South. It's confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

mal1 wrote: »
    I agree, i like the building but i suppose the guy is entitled to his opinion.

I have noticed that there are no bicycles painted on the bicycle lanes going from North to South. It's confusing.

Review of the bicycle lanes, etc. on and near the bridge
    http://www.dublincycling.com/beckettbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

mambo wrote: »

It's unbelievable. I've been using the bus lane. The cycle lane is far too dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

mambo wrote: »

Thats a pretty comprehensive deconstruction of the mess that's been made of the cycling facilities around the new bridge - totally haphazard designs by people who don't cycle themselves.

AMontague - care to respond on behalf of the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Shame it's such a planning disaster from a cyclist and pedestrian perspective (cyclists have no hope in the area and pedestrians have to share their space with confused cyclists who get dumped back onto a road in incredibly dangerous positions). Ironic because the bridge is beautiful, and was built in Holland, where cyclists get prime space on roads.

Advertisement