Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ps3 dilema (YLOD related)

• 01-12-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

So for the second time in 3 months my 60gb ps3 got the YLOD . So after i repair it this second time i am going to trade it in for a ps3 slim . Gamestop are offering a slim and COD MW2 for 300 euro and would give me 180 euro store credit...Now do you guys think i should wait till before or after christmas to get the slim..? i mean will it be much cheaper after christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I doubt that the price will come down much after they've recently dropped it! Getting €180 for your PS3 is as good as it will get, maybe throw in some games and reduce the amount ya pay on the slim...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Ya i geuss thats makes sense plus i dont have to wait for another month to get back to playing my ps3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not sure I follow, so you're going to pay 160 to fix it then another 120 for a new console?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

amacachi wrote: »
    Not sure I follow, so you're going to pay 160 to fix it then another 120 for a new console?

Maybe he'll be fixing it himself?

correct whiterebel ill be fixing the rx chip malfunction myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah fair enough so.

As said above do it sooner rather than later, strongly doubt there'll be any more price cuts in the near future.

Ya ill try and do it before x-mas ...does anyone know if theres much demand for the slim this x-mas , like will i have much trouble gettin one or will they be sold out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah there's a demand but I wouldn't think there will be a shortage or anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, ie. fixing my console and then trading it in for a new version but before i proceed does anyone know if gamestop will accept a ps3 for trade with the warranty seal voided?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

They accepted mine. Had the exact same issue as the OP. YLOD so I fixed it myself and then traded it in. I put the warranty seal back on mine though, you would have to look closely at it to know it was removed.

If there's any questions regarding the warranty seal you could always just say you had to return it to Sony at one stage while it was under warranty because the Blu-ray drive stopped reading discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Do you lose all games you have downloaded from PSN if you upgrade to slim? I presume as they are installed on the hrad drive that you do but it doesnt seem right? Maybe they are associated with your PSN ID and you can re-download them to the slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah they are associated with your psn account, you can allways "backup" your ps3 before you sell it or whatever, then just do a system restore on the slim.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

saltie wrote: »
    Do you lose all games you have downloaded from PSN if you upgrade to slim? I presume as they are installed on the hrad drive that you do but it doesnt seem right? Maybe they are associated with your PSN ID and you can re-download them to the slim?

Yeah you can re-download them. I've had to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah they are associated with your psn account, you can allways "backup" your ps3 before you sell it or whatever, then just do a system restore on the slim.

CC
    smooch71 wrote: »
    Yeah you can re-download them. I've had to do it.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Would ya not try sell it on ebay or adverts.ie? Your average 60gb sells for around 300...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just wondering what exactly YLOD is lads and how easy is it to fix?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

madmoe wrote: »
    Just wondering what exactly YLOD is lads and how easy is it to fix?

Cheers,
    M

Yellow Light Of Death

Not to be confused with BROD

Blu Ray of Death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Vorrtexx wrote: »
    They accepted mine. Had the exact same issue as the OP. YLOD so I fixed it myself and then traded it in. I put the warranty seal back on mine though, you would have to look closely at it to know it was removed.

If there's any questions regarding the warranty seal you could always just say you had to return it to Sony at one stage while it was under warranty because the Blu-ray drive stopped reading discs.

ive got the YLoD for the 2nd time in 6 months too...i dont want to spend another 150 for sony to fix it...can you tell me how to do it myself?it would be great as im a little tight on money right now:o

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

marko91 wrote: »
    ive got the YLoD for the 2nd time in 6 months too...i dont want to spend another 150 for sony to fix it...can you tell me how to do it myself?it would be great as im a little tight on money right now:o

Part one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

There's six parts in total.

Advertisement