Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont think its necessarily begrudging to point out that if he wants to become the best in the world (or even a contender) that there are somethings he needs to address.
    Shortgame and physical fitness have been mentioned as two candidates and I dont see anything wrong with this. Surely you agree, for example, that he has plenty of scope for improving his fitness?

I do however think its silly to say things like "he will never be as good as" etc, but I dont think that just because he is Irish we should ignore some faults he has. He has proclaimed that he isnt a big fan of practicing. In my opinion thats not going to help you get to #1.

Was also rooting for Duval, he seems to have vanished again and missed his card for next year :(

He's on tour 7 months, lets give him a chance at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He's on tour 7 months, lets give him a chance at least!

But a chance to what? Decide that he should get fit and practice?
    Seems to me that as a professional in the modern era those decisions should have been made before he turned pro. Otherwise stay as an amateur or be happy as a journeyman.
    btw, being a journeyman is no bad thing!

But a chance to what? Decide that he should get fit and practice?
    Seems to me that as a professional in the modern era those decisions should have been made before he turned pro. Otherwise stay as an amateur or be happy as a journeyman.
    btw, being a journeyman is no bad thing!

Have you not read the indo article referenced in the thread?

He seems to be addressing that fitness with eric miller. An expert in biomechanics, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you not read the indo article referenced in the thread?

He seems to be addressing that fitness with eric miller. An expert in biomechanics, apparently.

Yeah I have read it. But I stand by the opinion that this should have all been happening from the day he decided he wanted to become a pro. It seems to me a bit like the day we made this decision was the same day he actually turned pro whereas I think for most other youngsters they decided they wanted to be pros very early on and did everything in their power to achieve that.

Im not knocking his achievements, just saying that I think he has not put 100% into it...yet.

Im not knocking his achievements, just saying that I think he has not put 100% into it...yet.

Yeah, thats a fair statement. Lets hope he does, He's obviously got a lot of talent.

Also its so hard to win your first tournament. Look at Harrington and Mcilroy.
    Perhaps, winning the irish open, will give him a lot of confidence in the future.

Physically, if he turns out like his dad, he will be an excellent athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Yeah I have read it. But I stand by the opinion that this should have all been happening from the day he decided he wanted to become a pro. It seems to me a bit like the day we made this decision was the same day he actually turned pro whereas I think for most other youngsters they decided they wanted to be pros very early on and did everything in their power to achieve that.

He's spoken all along about slowly finding his feet and i think he's doing that. You have to remember that in his mind, he though he was going to have another 6 months minimum as an amateur before making the move to the pro ranks the gradual way (tour school etc).

Turning pro as suddenly as he did was probably enough for him to deal with without all of a sudden having a strict fitness programme thrust into his routine. The 2 year exemption means he can do so. He had to see how his game/physique etc held up on tour before deciding what changes he needed to make surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Personally I think Shane will turn into decent player over the years maybe not in the greats bracket but still think he can win his share trophies on tour.

Yes first thing he needs to look at his fitness. It has become a major player for likes of Woods and Harrington to watch what they eat and develop there muscles to become stronger and agile. Shane will have put bit time in gym.

Does anyone know his coach maybe he needs to get a decent pro especially in the short game department maybe someone like Mark Roe? Who I hear is getting good reviews from his pros anyway.

Mark Roe - Are you serious??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

golfbgud wrote: »

He's done wonders for Lee Westwood's game. Not sure whether Lowry would be the type of client he would take on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

golfbgud wrote: »

One of the best short game coaches in Europe, worked wonders with Lee Westwood ......

Sifter just beat me to it, coaches Ross Fisher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jersey Girl

Folks, give the kid a break. How many 22-year-old guys in Ireland have amassed €245,000 in six months?

• Advertisement

f22 wrote: »
    One of the best short game coaches in Europe, worked wonders with Lee Westwood ......

Sifter just beat me to it, coaches Ross Fisher too.

Has Lee Westwood and Ross Fisher actually fully and openly endorsed Mark Roe as being their wonder short game coach?

Shane is a very likable young man who has talent. That's a proven fact.

He has made the tough decision to part company with his original caddy and invested in an experienced tour caddy (Dermot) - A good move and a clear investment in his career.

Unlike others, Shane has gone straight from Irish Club Golf to ETour Golf without the breeding/training grounds e.g. Challenge Tour. This is far from easy. It's not an impossible step just more difficult.

He's Irish and it's great to see him on tour along with Peter, Damien, Gary, Paul and Padraig.

As for fitness and and routines etc - don't be fooled into thinking that all the Tour Players are sold on this stuff as a lot of them are NOT. Yes, there are lots of fitness coaches hovering around wanting to advise the players and get a cut of their winnings.

Shane should set himself some sound realistic goals for the 2010 season (with good advice), not targeting on #1 but a series of realistic and achievable steps to build his confidence and experience.

Let's give him a chance and see what happens. He's young and has plenty of time to grow and mature.

Best of Luck to him........

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

he is 22 and coming to grips with being a young rich sportstar.id say he will no a lot of home cooking and guiness this xmas and why not.next year there is plenty of time to get fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Im tired looking at all of this tbh, im not name dropping here but as a friend and team-mate of shanes i am seeing how much work he is doing on his fitness, with Eric Miller, the focus isnt on losing weight, hes working hard on strength and flexibility, which are way more important than being pencil thin. And as for this rubbish you lot talk about his short game????? LMAO the boy has a wonderful short game, iv seen it up close for the past 4yrs!!Hes doing something right, as a major club manufacturer has secured his signature for 3yrs starting in january. So stop being armchair experts and know some bloody facts before knocking a guy that has achieved one of the greatest irish sporting achievements!!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

gorfield wrote: »
    So stop being armchair experts and know some bloody facts before knocking a guy that has achieved one of the greatest irish sporting achievements!!!!!:mad:

:D:D:D

on of the greatest my ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

one of the greatest irish sporting achievements!!!!!:mad:

lol,what are you like ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Begrudgery

A peculiar disease of the Irish which seemingly renders them unable to to feel good about the success of their fellows. As soon as some Irish man or woman makes a name for themselves at home or abroad, the mutterings start: "Of course, everyone really knows how s/he really got their money." "Sure, isn't the stuff s/he writes all well and good for highfalutin Yank professors, but what does it say to the average Joe Soap in the street?" And so on, ad nauseum.

http://www.beerandloathing.com/glos_b.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

mag wrote: »
    Begrudgery

A peculiar disease of the Irish which seemingly renders them unable to to feel good about the success of their fellows. As soon as some Irish man or woman makes a name for themselves at home or abroad, the mutterings start: "Of course, everyone really knows how s/he really got their money." "Sure, isn't the stuff s/he writes all well and good for highfalutin Yank professors, but what does it say to the average Joe Soap in the street?" And so on, ad nauseum.

http://www.beerandloathing.com/glos_b.htm

thanks for the English lesson

tiptap wrote: »
    thanks for the English lesson

Poor english is a known trait of trolls.....

hey gorfield did you run out onto the green when lowry finally won the irish masters there earlier in the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

conno16 wrote: »
    hey gorfield did you run out onto the green when lowry finally won the irish masters there earlier in the year?

Would you celebrate if your mate won the Irish open?

Oh wait, your mates would be studying for their junior cert!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

conno, aren't you the same conno that got a 3 month ban from here for your previous Lowry trolling?
    Sailing too close to the thin ice, to mix a couple of metaphors...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

Í haven't read every post on this thread but I really don't think its fair for people to pass comment on Shane Lowrys fitness just because he carries a few extra pounds. Its quite possible he has good cardiovascular fitness and enough stamina to perform at a high level. He may also have a high enough level of strength and flexibility also. How are people judging him? Based on what they see on the television? No-one can make an assesment of someones fitness from a photo or from watching on TV. I doubt there are many top class amateurs or professionals who know or have played with the guy personally, posting here so any views are pure speculation. People don't seem to realise how talented Shane Lowry is. You'd think he's some podgy lad who got lucky in Baltray and is now having a shot on tour. He was one of the best amateurs in the country. We should be proud of him

conno16 wrote: »

He doesnt play snooker conno

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

...... People don't seem to realise how talented Shane Lowry is. You'd think he's some podgy lad who got lucky in Baltray and is now having a shot on tour. He was one of the best amateurs in the country. We should be proud of him

excellent post, here's to him going on to great things in the future.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chemicalfred

Im tired looking at all of this tbh, im not name dropping here but as a friend and team-mate of shanes i am seeing how much work he is doing on his fitness, with Eric Miller, the focus isnt on losing weight, hes working hard on strength and flexibility, which are way more important than being pencil thin. And as for this rubbish you lot talk about his short game????? LMAO the boy has a wonderful short game, iv seen it up close for the past 4yrs!!Hes doing something right, as a major club manufacturer has secured his signature for 3yrs starting in january. So stop being armchair experts and know some bloody facts before knocking a guy that has achieved one of the greatest irish sporting achievements!!!!!:mad:

Nice to hear someone qualified to judge, making sense for a change. I don't know who you are gorfield but you obviously play championship amateur golf so you know what your talking about. A lot of bull been posted here by the sort of bluffers I have to listen to in the members bar after a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

2008 - he was ranked at a career high sixth in the World Amateur Golf Ranking.

Theres pedigree for you. Now lets discuss his apparent lack of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Gorfield, like it or not, your buddy is in the public domain now. Rightly or wrongly, he's going to be criticised by know-nothing shyte talkers, and will probably get (is getting?) flak from more knowledgable sources too.

He's also going to be praised to high-heaven by the same breed of idiot, and "expert analysts" when he performs well once again.

He's not an amateur anymore. He's being paid money derrived from the golfing public, and the golfing public will have their say. I've never met the guy, but I will say that I think to defend him like that on a public forum does the chap a disservice. I can see your frustration, but if I were you, or in Lowry's camp, the last thing I'd be doing is dignifying such idle criticism with the his details above. It's pointless, and only serves to add merit to what would otherwise be a throw-away argument.

Licksy wrote: »
    conno, aren't you the same conno that got a 3 month ban from here for your previous Lowry trolling?
    Sailing too close to the thin ice, to mix a couple of metaphors...

dont see how i've been "trolling" tbh
    i certainly dont think some bloke who wins in a poor field on his favourite course in bad weather conditions could be deemed one of the greatest irish sporting achievements of all time
    if thats not trolling (making that sort of claim) i dont know what is

• Advertisement

f22 wrote: »
    Would you celebrate if your mate won the Irish open?

yes i would
    but my celebrations wouldn't involve me jumping up on down on a green like some sort of redneck that had just been released for the day
    decorum is required on the golf course at all times

Advertisement