Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MP3 player with a good FM radio reception

• 03-12-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to source a decent MP3 player (or even portable radio) for a family member that has a decent FM radio reception. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

iPod Nano?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Based on the research I've been doing today, the nano is looking like the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Seen something in the bargain alerts yesterdat an 8gb mp3 player with fm radio, haven't got a clue how the reception is though, i'd link to the thread but i'm on my phone.

Edit: Think there selling them in xtravision, have a look on their website.

I think this is the thread:

Sansa 8G MP3 player in Xtravision
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055751355

Certainly worth considering given the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Yup thats the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I have a Phillips GoGear 8GB that has perfect FM radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I have a cowon d2 for the last 2 years and i wouldnt replace.

It has:
    - fm radio that you can record from
    -great battery life upto 45 hours i have got
    -you can expand the storage by getting an sd card
    -with regards to radio reception the headphones dictate this. I bought a cheap pair of stereo headphones and thd radio is top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think this is the thread:

Sansa 8G MP3 player in Xtravision
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055751355

Certainly worth considering given the price.

You can record the radio in full stereo .wav at the push of a button. The drag and drop the .wav onto your PC, if you wish.

I think it is one of the few players with which you can still do this. Creative disabled the feature on their media players a while back.

Reception is fine for what it is. Obviously, the headphones cord acts as the aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eastmeath

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an mp3 with a good quality radio i.e. that doesn't suffer badly from interference.

I commute by train for 3 hours or so a day and listen to Morning Ireland and Drive Time, but with the recent (last year especially) explosion of iphones and other devices all around me on the train, my radio (a Sony 'stick' mp3 which has strut it's stuff for about 4 years now) has appalling reception now most of the time (it used to be just for a minute if someone beside me was sending a text, or when the train doors were opening/closing or while the driver was applying the brakes!

Now, it's hard to hear what's being said on radio for pretty much the entire journey!

The Ipod Nano 5g has a radio, but I wonder if spending that kind of money will make a difference to reception (I barely have it, but would pull it together if it worked, given that I'm dealing with 15hours a week of my life )- or if they're all prone to that issue, equally??

eastmeath wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an mp3 with a good quality radio i.e. that doesn't suffer badly from interference.

I commute by train for 3 hours or so a day and listen to Morning Ireland and Drive Time, but with the recent (last year especially) explosion of iphones and other devices all around me on the train, my radio (a Sony 'stick' mp3 which has strut it's stuff for about 4 years now) has appalling reception now most of the time (it used to be just for a minute if someone beside me was sending a text, or when the train doors were opening/closing or while the driver was applying the brakes!

Now, it's hard to hear what's being said on radio for pretty much the entire journey!

The Ipod Nano 5g has a radio, but I wonder if spending that kind of money will make a difference to reception (I barely have it, but would pull it together if it worked, given that I'm dealing with 15hours a week of my life )- or if they're all prone to that issue, equally??

I think you will be dealing with reception problems no matter what player you have. You could listen to podcasts as a workaround. Provided you don't mind not listening to programs like Morning Ireland in real time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have the Sansa Clip+ and the reception is pretty poor. I wonder if I used different head phones with a longer cable would it improve.

With the iPod you could download podcasts and get around it that way.

yep the sansa clip radio reception is pretty poor - otherwise a good player though. you might be better buying a dedicated radio receiver if the radio reception is what is most important to you...

Advertisement