Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

tackle shops

• 16-09-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

thought i would ask what other people think of their local tackle shops, the ones i have dealt with near me in the past are,
    rorys - remple bar in dublin - good to average - staff are poor - except for rory himself
    henrys ballybough in dublin - henry is a good bloke - limited stock
    anglers world in navan - good shop - excellent stock - good prices but not too much game gear - mostly course stuff
    southside angling - ardee street dublin - good stock - massive prices at least 15 - 20% more expensive for a lot of stuff than in other shops - snowbee flyfishing vest with built in life jacket i saw it at €260 in southside and €220 in henrys!, there are many other examples
    ABC - mary st - ok but very small shop - limited stock.
    Pat Cleere in Clane - game supplier -ok shop - staff a bit condensending
    T&J angling long mile road - smallish shop - mostly course gear - reasonablly priced stuff.
    Baumans - stillorgan - dublin - average to good stock - average staff - but on the expensive side.

these are the ones i can think of at the moment, interesting to hear what others think?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd add to Southside Angling that the staff are excellent, I've gotten very good advice out of them. The prices can be a bit on the 'premium' side, I noticed the clothing in particular looked quite expensive. But for the smaller things it's not too bad and they often have baskets around the shop with some good deals.

I'd also add to Baumanns that some of their stuff at least is decently priced, and their stuff tends to be cheaper on their website. I recently had to pick up a rod in a hurry and got a pretty decent quality telescopic pike rod for €25 in-store, and it's only €16.50 on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Id have to go with the ones i use in this order

Southside angling - Great staff consistantly good advice prices a bit high on some items but they do have good bargains
    Rory's - good prices and the staff are great try to help you when they can altho i find paddy to be the best of them but they can be busy at times
    ABC - nice little shop not a big selection but i try to buy what i can there as i think the old guy is great
    Henry's - I wont shop there unless i have absolutely no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Landers of Tralee, Kerry - one of the best in the country. Fantastic range of gear for the shooter, angler and other outdoor fanatic. :D

Fishing Tackle shop in Waterville, Kerry - dont like the place since Tadgh O Sullivan retired. I had many a chat with that man and he was very insightful into all aspects of fly fishing.

Murrays on Patrick st., Cork - Very claustrophobic feel inside the place with everything being behind glass. Still tho cheap and cheerful. :D

Kinsale Road Fishing shop, Cork - Great selection and sound lads working there although a reputation as being on the expensive side. :(

Sharkies, Pouladuff Rd. Cork - I would be banned from the angling forum if i said what I thought about this place.:mad::mad:

Fishing shop Midleton, Cork - Good value and sound man behind the counter and although I haven't been there in awhile there was a girl working there there who certainly made me that more eager to shop there ;):D

Lastly a word about the Tackle Shop, Cork - it was a bad day for fishing in Cork when the doors of this place closed recently. Always great for a chat and good selection of gear.

P.S. Mods, this thread, even though its early has the potential to be a sticky if a lot of people contribute and there's a good geographical spread. What ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

great post, couple of thoughts.

i like Rory's daughter and the other staff. I was in there a month ago when a scanger was being arrested for robbing two expensive jackets. he threw them in the Liffey, while the Gardai were arranging for them to be fished out, another scanger robbed them! running a tackle shop is a fairly thankless job!

I think Southside Angling is on Cork St. You do pay a bit more but the three lads really know their stuff inside out. I got a beauty of a fly fishing jacket with built in emergency inflatable thingy for 120 euro. I haggled a fiver off it!

There's a great tackle shop in a place called Halfway which is literally halfway between Cork and Bandon on the Owenboy river I think. It's a large blockbuilt shed behind the owners house but they sell plenty of gear at good prices. The owner is Dan Lynch and he is a dude. phone: 021 4885894. They stock plenty of bait for sea fishing too. Get down there!

There's a nice little tackle shop open on the main street of Clonakilty called Clontackle, they have a website. I hope they are doing enough business to stay open. There's also a hardware shop in durrus at the end of the world which sells a small selection of essentials. I think it's called Freeman's. The owners belong in a Hollywood movie about Ireland. And there's a fishing tackle shop in Skibbereen, a tiny shop with plenty of bargain gear.

Be warned West Cork is where anglers go after they've died and have been very good little boys. You may never come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I've always used ABC in Mary's Abbey since I was in my early teens. My father and grandad used it too. I think it changed hands a few times in all those years. The lady and the older gentleman there are very nice and always try to be helpful. On one particular day I was particularly impressed with the dignified patience they displayed when helping a young lad choose his first fishing rod. He was shown one rod after another before he made a decision...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Rory's I have gone off, the staff with the exception of Paddy just dont seem interested.

Cleeres, I have to say I find them very helpful and always forthcoming with advice. I asked about access to a stretch of river for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get to it with out a long walk but I knew there had to be a place you could park nearer. The assistant didnt know but promised to check it out. Two days later he rang with the details.

Southside angling great staff but they can be pricey.

Anglers world they are pike men and in that line they are second to none.

Viking angling (Bray) lovely lads but they can be expensive €3.50 plus a fly.

Baumanns. Not for me They plain lied to my face in order to try and get me to buy something inferior rather than say they didnt have the item in stock they told me it had been discontinued and they had not been able to get stock for two years (the same item i bought a month previous for a friend). Swore I would never cross the door again and have not done so.

Tallaght rod and gun. The guy who owns this needs a personality transplant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

No judgments. They are all subjective anyway, affected by personalities and price negotiations and other things.
    Just a list of where I spent my last money on tackle in Irish shops, I think this says it all.

Tallaght Rod & Gun
    Dunlaoghaire Cycles/Tackle
    Rory's
    Viking
    Southside

My last purchases were fresh bait and sea tackle. If instead they had been game fishing gear Southside and Rorys would be in higher up places on that list.
    My location in Dublin, south, has also affected my choices, in that more distant shops are not listed as a result and this does not reflect badly on them. Convenience counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

viking, yes i forgot to mention that shop - always found the guy with the beard - the owner, i think quite helpful
    never was in dunlaoghaire cycles/tackle where is it, next time i am out there i will drop in.
    rory and the daughter are good the rest of them well they are not the best.
    Mary is good in Cleeres.
    staff in baumans telling lies! never:D they just want to sell any stuff they want, whether it is what you want or not, well it doesnt matter to them.
    i do agree the southside staff are good but bring your wallet, you will need it well full.
    The old guy in ABC is spot on, old fashioned, polite, mannerly and helpfull the way a shopkeeper should be. sadly a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

- game supplier -ok shop - staff a bit condensending

Is that because they know about your poor spelling and grammar? Sorry, am I being condescending? :)

SeaFields wrote: »
    Fishing Tackle shop in Waterville, Kerry - dont like the place since Tadgh O Sullivan retired. I had many a chat with that man and he was very insightful into all aspects of fly fishing. I find the stories being banded around by the fella who took over as having a distinct waft of bullsh!t.

"The fella who took over" is Kevin Brain, originally from Wales, but living in Kerry for several years. He's an expert on Bass fishing. He likes to talk, but he's a decent bloke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Slasher.
    fella, bloke - :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 billy the bass

Hi Guy's
    This is my first time on the boards (too much time on me hands since being made redundent). Last week I was browsing the fishing threads when I came upon this one about tackle shops. I must be a formost expert on them since a large chunk of my income over the last twentyfive years has ended up in there pockets, but I do think that 'Sea fields' has been a bit harsh on a couple and missed out one of the best in Cork. Peter Horne's tackle in Blarney has the best selection of beach fishing gear in the Munster area and though I dont course or fly fish he has a load of top of the range stuff. Pete who I have known since he started has a reptuation for high prices, but then where can you buy off the shelf Zziplex, Centurey, Conoflex and all the others. The other small bone I would like to pick is what do we call a great tackle shop, is it one with all the gear and thats it. I think not and thats where I feel the rating for Sharkies and Kevin Brain in Waterville should be reviewed again. Since Brian Kennedy opened Sharkies He has made great efforts to get the local community and youngsters involved in fishing of all disiplins, under the umbrella of the RAI (recreational angling Ireland) I and many other instructors have given our time on days out to many local (and not so local) marks. Where Brian has funded baits, rigs, transport and give aways to as many as 60 youngsters at a time. I recongnise of course that the shop its self is small, yet there is always fresh bait and Brian will talk your brain to jelley if you let him. Kevin like any Welsh man will also talk away like mad, get him to show you pictures of the Welsh open wins he's had and all the other trophys he has won in a long competitive carreer. He is also the mover and shaker of the Waterville club and organizer of many of the big comps in Kerry. They are a great bunch from the likes of Irish team captains and ex world champion to the local post man. A few years ago Kev tried and failed to make a go of a tackle and bait shop along the Lee road in Cork but he will always be rememberd by me for being the only man to sell live sandeels, great bait from boats.
    Half way tackle is owned and run by Dan Lynch and there is no better man Ex Irish boat fishing captain and team member for a few years now, and untill very recently a club mate of mine.
    Brian Kev and Dan have one thing that makes them stand out, they know what there on about because there anglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Murrays on Patrick st., Cork - Very claustrophobic feel inside the place with everything being behind glass. Still tho cheap and cheerful. :D

If you're a coarse fisherman you could get arrested in there :D - I went into Murrays last year looking for some Hemp seed & the guy told me it was illegal to supply drugs and that the Gards would be very interested in the fact that I was asking :rolleyes:

P.S. Mods, this thread, even though its early has the potential to be a sticky if a lot of people contribute and there's a good geographical spread. What ye think?

I agree - I'll get the glue & stickify it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Hi Billy,

Welcome to Boards. :D

I don't think I was being overly harsh on the places I mentioned as not liking but to explain...

I shopped in Sharkies a couple of times. Certainly Brian K should be commended for what he does in the local community, introducing kids to fishing. I will agree with you there.

However, as for reviewing the shop itself, which was the aim of this thread, I find it too small and there always seemed to me like there was a couple of fellas in there chatting (buddies of Brian perhaps) looking over your shoulder as to what your buying. That did not sit well with me. On my final trip in there I went to the counter with my purchases to be greeted by a young lad, sprawled across a chair, scratching his balls, asking me where I was going. I told him I was off fishing, paid him and left. Just because it is a fishing tackle shop does not mean it should not strive to the same standards of professionalism that you would encounter in any other retail environment. You are, after all, paying for the service as well as the gear.

As for Waterville, I tend to have a dislike for angler that like to talk - the so-called "expert". Again Kevin Brain can be commended for his achievements in angling but I did prefer when Tadgh ran the place. I will in this case bow to your knowledge of the man and edit my original post.

Completely forgot about Peter Horne. Yes good selection and bought my first fly rod there which accounted for plenty of brownies and sea-trout and even a grilse (not bad for a 7ft fly rod!).

Haven't had much experience of the tackle shop at half-way. Think I was there once only but Doc Farrell gives it a good review in a subsequent post.

Again welcome to the angling forum Billy and we look forward to more posts. It would be good to have another Cork angler posting - too many of them Dublin boys around here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Hi guys,

great thread,

I'll make my little contribution.

In Kildare where I'm from

Countryman Angling Naas. Small shop but he wholesales to other shops so not all stock on display but they have most stuff. Brian that works there is very friendly and efficient. I like the owner John but some don't. If he sees you as a catch and release man your elected... Looking for barbless hooks gets you in good books. Good for deadbait and maggots but a little expensive at 4 per pint IMO

Griffen Hawe Athy. This place is a strange one. they have a fishing and shooting department upstairs and you could find anything in it. Guy behind the counter knows absolutely nothing. A lot of stuff is not priced properly or sometimes not at all. but there are some bargains for certain. I reckon alot of the stuff is priced incorrectly sometime well in your favour. A lot of the stock is older stuff and not too modern. Worth a visit if your down that way.

Carrick on Shannon.

Tooman Angling. This is an excellently stocked shop with loads of groundbait at good prices 6x 1 kg (sensas and van de eynde)bags for 20 euro compared to 5er each in Kildare. Cheapest around for brown crumb in 25kg bags. I find them helpfull and friendly but locals hate the place. They are a bit expensive for some stuff but they can be haggled. Maggots are good at 3 per pint but I did get a bad pint one day that nearly ruined our days fishing.... Tony is the owner

Shannon Tackle Jamestown

Well I saved the best till last. his place is about 5 miles from carrick on shannon in a place called jamestown. Shop a a guys house. Terry is his name and he's helpful and friendly and has loads of stuff at right prices. Big into his pike gear. Again ground baits 3 x 1kg for 10 euro (van de eynde only). Locals wouldn't shop anywhere else. He has deadbaits worms and maggots always in stock and will tell you exactly where is fishing well.
    Open 8am to 8 pm 7 days

Hi Guy's
    This is my first time on the boards (too much time on me hands since being made redundent). Last week I was browsing the fishing threads when I came upon this one about tackle shops. I must be a formost expert on them since a large chunk of my income over the last twentyfive years has ended up in there pockets, but I do think that 'Sea fields' has been a bit harsh on a couple and missed out one of the best in Cork. Peter Horne's tackle in Blarney has the best selection of beach fishing gear in the Munster area and though I dont course or fly fish he has a load of top of the range stuff. Pete who I have known since he started has a reptuation for high prices, but then where can you buy off the shelf Zziplex, Centurey, Conoflex and all the others. The other small bone I would like to pick is what do we call a great tackle shop, is it one with all the gear and thats it. I think not and thats where I feel the rating for Sharkies and Kevin Brain in Waterville should be reviewed again. Since Brian Kennedy opened Sharkies He has made great efforts to get the local community and youngsters involved in fishing of all disiplins, under the umbrella of the RAI (recreational angling Ireland) I and many other instructors have given our time on days out to many local (and not so local) marks. Where Brian has funded baits, rigs, transport and give aways to as many as 60 youngsters at a time. I recongnise of course that the shop its self is small, yet there is always fresh bait and Brian will talk your brain to jelley if you let him. Kevin like any Welsh man will also talk away like mad, get him to show you pictures of the Welsh open wins he's had and all the other trophys he has won in a long competitive carreer. He is also the mover and shaker of the Waterville club and organizer of many of the big comps in Kerry. They are a great bunch from the likes of Irish team captains and ex world champion to the local post man. A few years ago Kev tried and failed to make a go of a tackle and bait shop along the Lee road in Cork but he will always be rememberd by me for being the only man to sell live sandeels, great bait from boats.
    Half way tackle is owned and run by Dan Lynch and there is no better man Ex Irish boat fishing captain and team member for a few years now, and untill very recently a club mate of mine.
    Brian Kev and Dan have one thing that makes them stand out, they know what there on about because there anglers.

hopefully you'll post more often billy, bass fishing and west cork are a good combination. please cut up your post into smaller paragraphs if you can, my dodgy eyes can't take it! Waterville is a spot i'm hoping to visit soon.

Just thought of another shop in Bandon, its a sports shop but the owner supplies a lot of hunters and anglers of the Bandon river. I got such a shock to see all the damage the river has done down there this week. A lot of small businesses will have lost everything. It really is very sad. And the Bandon river is such a beauty. I hope the Halfway tackle shop didn't get hit too badly, its right above the river, you can see the back of it from the road., great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

In Cork

I think sharkies is a decent tackle shop.Talks a bit but will let ya have things rounded down to nearest euro now and again.seems to have a good interest in the gear he has too.

Peter in blarney would try to sell his dog to ya even though your looking for a spool of gut.(He try charge ya way above the current dog prices too:D)

Halfway Tackle is the most appealling,lots of room lots of gear and he seems to know what hes on about.Handy as its by his house so at akward times he might be still around to sort ya out.Thats very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Anyone know where Cork St is in Dublin's fair city? I'm going in there tomorrow I hope & just realised I don't know where it is:o

Thank you

Lb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Here ya go its were the little blue pin point is :)

ill be dropping in myself tomorrow

Southside Angling

Thank you so much..much appreciated!

Might see ya there tomorrow then;)

Ok, have to tell you guys,went to SSA..spent cash.

Trying to upload photos which is not going well:mad:

Guys are very nice,were very good to me but it's a bit male dominated it must be said. Didn't get a rod though:(,too much choice & I didn't know enough to narrow down the choice.

Great service in there though I did end up going off to a few other places for other bits

LB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Ok, have to tell you guys,went to SSA..spent cash.

Trying to upload photos which is not going well:mad:

Guys are very nice,were very good to me but it's a bit male dominated it must be said. Didn't get a rod though:(,too much choice & I didn't know enough to narrow down the choice.

Great service in there though I did end up going off to a few other places for other bits

LB

use www.imageshack.us and upload photos there and paste hotlink for forums here and away you go

Thank you, think the issue is my flippin phone tho grrr

Heard a great saying/joke in the shop today.

These lads were carrying on (as you boys will do;))

This guy is talking about another fella..he says 'oh he's a very good baiter',the others sort of mumble.

Few minutes later he says 'he's a super baiter' (can you see where I'm going with this) again the others mumble

finally he goes 'He's a master baitor':D:D

I nearly fell over laughing

LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Johnny Cunninghams Fishing Tackle outside Tullamore is a good shop. Nice selection and Johnny is a nice man. He has some good stories of his trips. Some say he's a little expensive. I only go to 2 shops and i find them both the same so...

Ernie O'Malleys in Mullingar. Not the best selection but has what you need if your stuck. Often made a trip in there while fishing on the Inny and i forgot something.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭I.C.U

hello lads im selling a 3 pice CENTURY CARBON METAL SRE pm me for price its like new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dr fell

there is a great little tackle shop on the pier in courtmacsherry
    i was in there a while ago and had an armfull of tackle . the owner asked me what i was going after i dont know i replied whats biting this time of year? mackerel he said and you wont need all that stuff, and with that he put back all the tackle i had save for a small bag of hooks and some small weights. those yokes will eat anything he said charging me less than 4 euro for my purchases. i had to admire his honesty

dr fell wrote: »
    there is a great little tackle shop on the pier in courtmacsherry
    i was in there a while ago and had an armfull of tackle . the owner asked me what i was going after i dont know i replied whats biting this time of year? mackerel he said and you wont need all that stuff, and with that he put back all the tackle i had save for a small bag of hooks and some small weights. those yokes will eat anything he said charging me less than 4 euro for my purchases. i had to admire his honesty

heaven couldn't be prettier, here's a picture of that spot, i love it down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 JakeH1979

Could any body please give directions to this shop

• Registered Users Posts: 4 noeman64

Toomans tackle shop is the one i use mostly and is ideally situated just over the bridge in Carrick on Shannon. They have a great selection of rods and reels, tackle and baits. I have bought a spinning rod and a feeder rod from here this year and both times have got great deals on them. English guy who works there is very friendly and helpful, promised to do me a good deal on a life jacket too.Well worth a visit if your fishing around that area, plenty of lakes close to here..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

'A Shore Thing' at Westport Quay, is excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone fishing in the Mayo or Connemara region.

From expert and invaluable local advice and details of marks to value for money gear it has it all.

Doug who runs it is an oracle of local marks, techniques, bait and is always happy to share his knowledge.

Best thing of all about A Shore Thing and its owner Doug - he gives great value for money for example he will tell you how to make a rig cheaper than buy one or sell you a cheaper reel that is just as effective and well made as a more expensive branded one. I don't think you could get ripped off in this shop if you tried... how all retailers should operate.

Can't recommend it enough, and I rarely say that about many retailers in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

'Outdoor Trek' based in Swords Mall has only this week begun stocking some fishing tackle and although they are not anglers themselves they do seem keen to stock items that appeal to all... always good to have a local store with friendly staff! :)

Advertisement