Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

diverting water to the east of the country

• 19-11-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I've just been watching the RTE news and weather conditions are again causing flooding with all the serious damage that goes along with it.
    I remember a few years ago it was suggested that to cater for the water supply needs in the east of the country ,that water could be diverted from the Shannon. At the time, this suggestion was derided by spokespeople from the west.
    It it time to look at this proposal again ?
    Given the climatic changes, the rainfall in the west of the country is only going to get heavier and huge areas to the Shannon basin will find themselves persistantly under water. Surely channelling water away from the Shannon has to be good for this area of the country.

Comments

• Stopping developments along and on flood plains would be more effective.

Flood plains do what they are supposed to do... it's just that idiots build on them and then try to stop the water going on to them with barriers, thus making it worse for others along the river bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Stopping developments along and on flood plains would be more effective.

Flood plains do what they are supposed to do... it's just that idiots build on them and then try to stop the water going on to them with barriers, thus making it worse for others along the river bank.

Agreed. Was just about to post on this subject in relation to what role people feel local councils and authorities have to play in all this?

I know that the weather conditions are particularly severe but over the last few years, I have heard numerous stories of large-scale developments on flood plains, streams/rivers being diverted, drains being blocked due to development etc.

Just seems like there was an awful lot of rapid development and you would have to wonder how much thought if any was given to flood plans.

I find it ironic that people are falling over each other to ring radio stations and to set up petitions to get a game of football replayed while the ineptitude/corruption of local officials doesn't even raise an eyebrow..

Advertisement