Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honesty in Golf

• 19-11-2009 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Isn't nice to play a sport where integrity and honesty prevails; where you can call a foul on yourself, though it might stick in your craw for a while, you feel better...later.. as each time that human trait of 'I think I got away with it' diminishes with each admission and makes you a better person. That's why I could never play soccer...my team mates would string me up every time I called off-side on myself or if I HANDLED THE BALL.

Sorry; couldn't leave it alone...had to comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I suppose, the thing about (most) games of golf, is that it's you against the course. So cheating, is just about cheating yourself. However, don't be fooled into thinking that it does not happen :). A little search on this board will reveal numerous cases of cheating, and I actually once caught a good friend of mine cheating at golf!!

A lot of Pro's have been pulled up for it, Monty and Vijay are two that come to mind, and I also remember a huge spat between Harrington and Olazabal, after Harrio made a comment to Ole when he was repairing a number of pitch marks. I remember Tiger being slated for moving a "stone" (which was about 500kg) and treating it as an immovable object (when in reality it was an integral part of the course).

But you are correct in your argument that, the prevalence of cheating in other sports, such as soccer, track and field, cycling is huge, when compared to golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Hobart wrote: »
    I suppose, the thing about (most) games of golf, is that it's you against the course. So cheating, is just about cheating yourself.
    And that really is the crux of the matter....providing you are totally aware of all the nuances of Rules of Golf. Like your friend, it is amazing how many people are observing your every action on the course. I'm dumbfounded when I hear at meetings that 'such and such' a person is 'under-observation'! But all in all I think we're a decent bunch :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Heard a story yesterday that horrified me, a young guy (that will go unnamed) and a very fine player with a bright future.

His card was signed by his playing partner, in pencil, and a score of 28 points recorded. Later the same chaps name appeared in the prizes with a score of 38 points. Seems an eraser came into play and the whole card was re-written. The playing partner spotted the results and the rest is history.

A 9 month ban by the GUI and a reputation that will never be repaired, and for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

'scorthy wrote: »
    And that really is the crux of the matter.....

Isn't that really the crux of all sport & games? Sport & games are an optional undertaking for humans, in which you agree to pit your abilities against an opponent, within a pre-defined set of rules. If you break those rules, then there is some sort of penalty.
    If you have managed to get away with those penalties, by whatever method, you haven't really proved your abilities to be better than your opponent. Thus you are cheating yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

If you have managed to get away with those penalties, by whatever method, you haven't really proved your abilities to be better than your opponent. Thus you are cheating yourself.
    Dare I mention it...Eeemh..like 'Onre ;).
    Who was it that said "one of the best tools in a golfers bag was his eraser"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

A 9 month ban by the GUI and a reputation that will never be repaired, and for what?
    Wow, thats some cheating ! but not on Henry's scale tho !!!! :p fesker :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Wow, thats some cheating ! but not on Henry's scale tho !!!! :p fesker :mad:

I hear the GUI are not impressed with Henry either, lifetime ban for him! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭BombSquad

'scorthy wrote: »
    Isn't nice to play a sport where integrity and honesty prevails; .

Except when it comes to the huge numbers of bandits holding their handicaps for the captains prize or those guys who specialize in winning fourballs and classics.

The are plenty of people who play football on a Saturday and golf on a Sunday. I don't see how their character is going to change dramatically from one day to the next. I detest playing either sport with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hobart wrote: »
    I suppose, the thing about (most) games of golf, is that it's you against the course. So cheating, is just about cheating yourself. However, don't be fooled into thinking that it does not happen :). A little search on this board will reveal numerous cases of cheating, and I actually once caught a good friend of mine cheating at golf!!

A lot of Pro's have been pulled up for it, Monty and Vijay are two that come to mind, and I also remember a huge spat between Harrington and Olazabal, after Harrio made a comment to Ole when he was repairing a number of pitch marks. I remember Tiger being slated for moving a "stone" (which was about 500kg) and treating it as an immovable object (when in reality it was an integral part of the course).

But you are correct in your argument that, the prevalence of cheating in other sports, such as soccer, track and field, cycling is huge, when compared to golf.

How could something which was moved be immoveable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

He called the rules official over and asked if the boulder / large rock fitted the definition of a loose impediment. Since it was not embeded, it was ruled it was a loose impediment and was allowed to move it.

Article Link
    http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcman/article/1999apr48.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

How could something which was moved be immoveable?

Think about it. I could move a stone wall if I really wanted to.

An obstruction is a movable obstruction if it may be moved without
    unreasonable effort, without unduly delaying play and without causing
    damage. Otherwise, it is an immovable obstruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    He called the rules official over and asked if the boulder / large rock fitted the definition of a loose impediment. Since it was not embeded, it was ruled it was a loose impediment and was allowed to move it.

Article Link
    http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/gcman/article/1999apr48.pdf

Just read this. Ok, so it was nowhere near 500kg then...

It pays to know the rules.

Advertisement