Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with saved data on your PS3 if you but a new slim one?

• 16-11-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

What happens if you but a new slim PS3. Do you lose all your saved data?
    Can it be migrated over?

I have a 40gb PS3 which is plenty of space but I have to admit I do want one of the new 250gb slim ones.

What about games I have downloaded and paid for?

Anyone come up against this problem recently?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Games you have downloaded you can re download from the store ( top right corner) The game saves can simply be copied onto a USB stick and saved on the new one. Easy peazy !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭liverpo

Not all games can be saved on a memory stick - I think K2, SvR10 along with a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Get yourself an external hard drive and you can back up all your saved data as well as music, photos and films.

The games on the other hand you will have to download again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Guys slightly offtopic here but I want to put in a 250gig drive into my 60gig ps3.

Can them game installs (I.e those annoying waits beofe you can play your game) get copied across?

Yea before you take out the 60gb HD back it up to an external HD then put in the new HD, format it and load the stuff back on. It all takes about 2 1/2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

When you say download them again I assume you dont mean pay for them again.Are they saved as paid for on my PSN or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

When you say download them again I assume you dont mean pay for them again.Are they saved as paid for on my PSN or something?

Yes, as long as you log in with the PSN ID you purchased them with, you can re-download them from the Download history section within the PSN Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭LittleLebowski

Cheers for that!

Yea go into the Playstation store in the top right corner you have 4 icons view cart redeem code and view downloads , click the view downloads and it lists everything you have bought or downloaded just click to download it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

I was under the impression that a full backup took the entire harddisk contents inclusive of games/saves/installs/login data/preferences.
    Am i wrong here?

Whats stopping someone taking the drive out and doing the exact same thing i do with my pc and ghosting the entire image to a new drive? (assuming you're upgrading the drive and not moving to another ps3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

yes I believe you are correct, the full back up should literally back up everything on the HDD. when you are changing over to a different hdd, you load all the info back on to the new hdd

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Resi 5 wont let me copy onto a USB key... drainer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

flynner13 wrote: »
    Resi 5 wont let me copy onto a USB key... drainer!

You can back up your Resi 5 save onto a USB stick since the update a few months back.

After I did the update at first it would not allow you to copy it over until you created a new save point in game , then you could copy it over to USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

bugs wrote: »
    I was under the impression that a full backup took the entire harddisk contents inclusive of games/saves/installs/login data/preferences.
    Am i wrong here?

Whats stopping someone taking the drive out and doing the exact same thing i do with my pc and ghosting the entire image to a new drive? (assuming you're upgrading the drive and not moving to another ps3)

Sorry, didn't read the title correctly, hes changing to another machine, my mistake.

Advertisement