Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indoor Climbing Naas

Options
  • 09-11-2009 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm trying to set up a group to take over the climbing wall in Naas Health & Fitness Gym in Naas for a few hours on a weekday evening. Ideally we want a group of about 8 to 10 people. The wall is open to the general public on a tuesday & a thursday 6 to 9pm. So ideally if we had a group of ten we could possibly book it out on a monday or a wednesday for a couple of hours.

I am 24 and only a beginner at climbing. I'm hoping to build up a bit of skill on the wall over the winter and move outdoors in the spring. If everybody was in or about the same level it would be good for everyone to learn.

If your interested leave a comment. Or if you've any advice Leave a comment.

This is for anyone based in or around Naas/Kildare/etc

This is all in early days so all feeed back is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

I would be up for this, only a beginner really as well, been climbing a couple of months. I can belay, but I don't have any of my own kit.

So we'd be able to use the wall without joining the gym? Its the monread gym right? Wednesday evenings or nights would probably suit me best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Maidhc B

Banjo,

I've no kit myself either, harnesses can be got at the gym (yes its monread) they have rock climbing shoes but i think they are in a state. However runners will do for the time being. Its open to the general public on tues & thursdays 6-9. Until we get enough numbers we'd probably have to go during these times. Thursdays are out for me unless its from 7.30 onwards. Might go next tuesday if your up for it.

Nearly forgot you can use the wall without joining the gym. 10 to 15 euro per session. I reckon if we do end up with a group i could haggle them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Maidhc B wrote: »
    Banjo,

I've no kit myself either, harnesses can be got at the gym (yes its monread) they have rock climbing shoes but i think they are in a state. However runners will do for the time being. Its open to the general public on tues & thursdays 6-9. Until we get enough numbers we'd probably have to go during these times. Thursdays are out for me unless its from 7.30 onwards. Might go next tuesday if your up for it.

Nearly forgot you can use the wall without joining the gym. 10 to 15 euro per session. I reckon if we do end up with a group i could haggle them a bit.

Ah right, i need to invest in a decent pair of shoes, they're a bit pricey though!

I'm in college in Dublin till 6 on tuesdays, so i'd only be back in Naas at 7 at the earliest, thursday would suit me better this week if you don't mind starting at half 7?

I already climb on the college wall most tuesdays and thursdays, so if you got a group going to Naas on a wednesday maybe I'd be well up for it. Shame they don't have weekend slots available.

I'll pm you my mobile number anyway if ya wanna get in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Hey lads I just googled rock climbing in kildare and came across your post.

I climbed my first wall last week.

35 feet Ive no gear noting but i plan on getting some.

Could I join yeahs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It might be a good idea to post this to climbing.ie as well, you might get a few more people including some experienced climbers. Maybe you could start a Naas climbing club? You're not too far from the Wicklow Mountains after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

These guys are based in Naas

http://www.savagecraicclimbers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Hey Op et al..
    Rather then setting up a group - talk to Jimmy @ the wall and then make plans.
    Also talk to Jimmy about the Savage Climbers.
    A.

Cheers for the link lads it will be a great help for me.

I don't want to be joining the irish mountaineering club at all.

I don't feel like I should have to pay to climb a free mountain.

While I don't want to be seen to contradict you, the IMC fees go towards maintaining their hut in Glendalough and other facilities provided by the club.

Ah I have no problem with people that pay fees but I won't be doing that.

I know the fees go towards clubs and Id say that a lot of people that join these clubs go ever weekend.

Can't see myself doing that but I could see myself doing it once ever two weeks in naas the costs aren't that high.
    Evil Phil wrote: »
    While I don't want to be seen to contradict you, the IMC fees go towards maintaining their hut in Glendalough and other facilities provided by the club.

• Advertisement

You should learn how to set up a top rope. The club might be able to help you there, once you've got top-ropes your pretty much independent in places like Dalkey and the single pitch crags in Wicklow. I don't know if the Hollywood crag has re-opened but it's a great little spot if it has.

do you climb yourself phil ?

can more places there are to climb.

Yep. Mostly just bouldering for the last few years though, been climbing about 10 years I guess.

cool where abouts do you do bouldering ?

or the mountain climbing just interested.
    Evil Phil wrote: »
    Yep. Mostly just bouldering for the last few years though, been climbing about 10 years I guess.

At the moment mostly in my garden on my wall and a place called North Friars Bay (I don't live in Ireland at the moment), with the occasional trip planned for Virgin Gourda.

In Ireland mostly Wicklow and the Burren, but there's lots of other places, theshortspan.com has the details. I'm mostly just rock-climbed with a few mountaineering trips but I've climbed in something like 20 different countries in the last 10 years. I work off the philosophy that if you can climb HVS you can climb anywhere in the world, seems to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ken2010

just started climbing out in naas myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ken2010

would be interested did you get anything set up?

Maidhc B wrote: »
    I'm trying to set up a group to take over the climbing wall in Naas Health & Fitness Gym in Naas for a few hours on a weekday evening. Ideally we want a group of about 8 to 10 people. The wall is open to the general public on a tuesday & a thursday 6 to 9pm. So ideally if we had a group of ten we could possibly book it out on a monday or a wednesday for a couple of hours.

I am 24 and only a beginner at climbing. I'm hoping to build up a bit of skill on the wall over the winter and move outdoors in the spring. If everybody was in or about the same level it would be good for everyone to learn.

If your interested leave a comment. Or if you've any advice Leave a comment.

This is for anyone based in or around Naas/Kildare/etc

This is all in early days so all feeed back is welcome.

Advertisement