Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IDW Ongoing Comics(Stormbringer Spotlight Infiltration Escalation Devastation AHMetc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm only starting to get back into the IDW verse. Ive read up to the end of Revelation. Missed all of Maximum Dinobots and All Hail Megatron (except the first two issues). Should be able to pick up in Ongoing #1. Although, Id rather see about picking up the TPBs I missed. Anybody know where to get them? (prefereably without purchasing online). Forbidden Plenet (where I gor Revelation) didn't have any of them.

Interesting artistic style, it's like they've 'evolved' to a point between Classic G1 style and Movie style. Previous IDW books always seemed to be hinting at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Still not masively sold on Don's new art style.

+1
    Hard to explain but while the style is good it doesn't feel "special" or transformers-ish

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

+1
    Hard to explain but while the style is good it doesn't feel "special" or transformers-ish

Think it's because the faces are so different...

Think it's because the faces are so different...

Yeah, they look a bit too movie-esque, which is far removed from what we're used to. I mean whatever about them changing their bodies over time. That's technology and what not, but would there be any practical reason for their faces to change?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah, they look a bit too movie-esque, which is far removed from what we're used to. I mean whatever about them changing their bodies over time. That's technology and what not, but would there be any practical reason for their faces to change?

On a pure artistic level I think the further removed from human their faces are the harder it is to connect with them as characters.

• Advertisement

On a pure artistic level I think the further removed from human their faces are the harder it is to connect with them as characters.

Hot Rod's face has plenty of emotion when he's gasping in horror in that close up panel. The only thing is, it doesn't really look like Hot Rod's face to me. I remember in the Dreamwave ongoing comic Don had the faces of Hot Rod, Kup etc. down to a tee. Every little smirk, wrinkle and emotion was captured beautifully. From what Ive seen these new faces look fairly similar. Hopefully as Don gets used to the new style they'll look sufficiently different from each other.
    I'll give it a few issues and see how it goes.

Here's a big ol' promtion pic Don did. Bit more variety in the faces. Although the Dinobots look VERY Beast wars era. Not too sure how to feel about that.
    1253302849.jpg

If I am correct Seany, that's not Hot Rod- Rodimus and Hot Rod have been seperated a la Megs and Galva during Furmans run.

I dunno, I feel I have to work harder to see what they're feeling, maybe tis just me.

It's nitular picking anyways, the art's beautiful, it's hardly going to

RUIN TRANSFORMERS FOREVAAAAA!!1!!

If I am correct Seany, that's not Hot Rod- Rodimus and Hot Rod have been seperated a la Megs and Galva during Furmans run.

Crap, serves me right for missing out on three full TPBs.
    It's nitular picking anyways, the art's beautiful, it's hardly going to

RUIN TRANSFORMERS FOREVAAAAA!!1!!

Ah yes, just how Repaints, the Death of Optimus Prime, Wheelie, seeing Prime's face in the Marvel comic, Generation 2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RiD, Pretty much every last thing in the 'Unicron Trilogy', Pat Lee's drawing style, the downfall of Dreamwave, flames on Optimus Prime, Bumblebee not speaking, the RotF twins, terrible continuity, the untimely demise of Animated etc.
    they killed the brand man :(

Crap, serves me right for missing out on three full TPBs.

Ah yes, just how Repaints, the Death of Optimus Prime, Wheelie, seeing Prime's face in the Marvel comic, Generation 2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RiD, Pretty much every last thing in the 'Unicron Trilogy', Pat Lee's drawing style, the downfall of Dreamwave, flames on Optimus Prime, Bumblebee not speaking, the RotF twins, terrible continuity, the untimely demise of Animated etc.they killed the brand man :(

And lest the fanboys forget, there was a time animated itself was going to RUIN TRANSFORMERS FOREVER.

And lest the fanboys forget, there was a time animated itself was going to RUIN TRANSFORMERS FOREVER.

We are happy in our constantly transforming state on melancholy...

• Advertisement

We are happy in our constantly transforming state on melancholy...

Trukk not munky, munky not firengine, fireengine not trukk, trukk not too many pies trukk, too many pies trukk not space trukk, space trukk not flame trukk, flame trukk not teen trukk, TEEN TRUKK NOT G1 TRUKK!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I'm only starting to get back into the IDW verse. Ive read up to the end of Revelation. Missed all of Maximum Dinobots and All Hail Megatron (except the first two issues). Should be able to pick up in Ongoing #1. Although, Id rather see about picking up the TPBs I missed. Anybody know where to get them? (prefereably without purchasing online). Forbidden Plenet (where I gor Revelation) didn't have any of them.

Interesting artistic style, it's like they've 'evolved' to a point between Classic G1 style and Movie style. Previous IDW books always seemed to be hinting at this.

sad fact is the books get no love from irish comic book retailers. at least in dublin. you'd actually have a better chance in places like waterstones or hodges and figis so you best bet, sadly , is online.

bar that though you could ask the lads in forbiden planet to order the trades for you. they do it all the time for novels.

BUT.

IDW are producing a title called "transformers continuum" which is basically a fill in the gaps book for new readers. it covers pretty much everything from megatron origin onwards. its mostly text with reused images.

on the whole new "look" im not a great fan of it and TBH was gonna give the book a miss (sacraleige i know :) ) but the story concepts hooked me
    its basically the autobots vrs the human race with nary a con to be seen, seeing as the humans have all the derived weapons from skywatch they can actually hurt em, hence the death in the preview, so the bots are gonna have to start killing humans.

the bumblebee mini, which i had no intention of buying , basically focuses on TF captured by humans and forced to work for them hunting their fellow bots/cons. something to do with explosives in their heads i think ala what furman did to shockwave in maximum dinobots.

so this might explain the more inhuman look to the bots faces. a way of dehumanising them to justify the story concepts above in the eyes of ordinary humans.

to be brutally honest though i bought G2 and the art in that, with notable exceptions, was shyte so weve done alot worse than this in the past.

sad fact is the books get no love from irish comic book retailers. at least in dublin. you'd actually have a better chance in places like waterstones or hodges and figis so you best bet, sadly , is online.

bar that though you could ask the lads in forbiden planet to order the trades for you. they do it all the time for novels.

BUT.

IDW are producing a title called "transformers continuum" which is basically a fill in the gaps book for new readers. it covers pretty much everything from megatron origin onwards. its mostly text with reused images.

on the whole new "look" im not a great fan of it and TBH was gonna give the book a miss (sacraleige i know :) ) but the story concepts hooked me
    its basically the autobots vrs the human race with nary a con to be seen, seeing as the humans have all the derived weapons from skywatch they can actually hurt em, hence the death in the preview, so the bots are gonna have to start killing humans.

the bumblebee mini, which i had no intention of buying , basically focuses on TF captured by humans and forced to work for them hunting their fellow bots/cons. something to do with explosives in their heads i think ala what furman did to shockwave in maximum dinobots.

so this might explain the more inhuman look to the bots faces. a way of dehumanising them to justify the story concepts above in the eyes of ordinary humans.

to be brutally honest though i bought G2 and the art in that, with notable exceptions, was shyte so weve done alot worse than this in the past.

Wow interesting. I only read in trade so Im oblivious to alot.

Reports on continuum are awful though. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page if you wanna catch up Seany :)

thanks for the link.

i had no idea such a bitchfest was going on ! :)

i hang around the IDW boards alot under another username but didnt see this as as ive already got most of the books online in individual issue form so the continuum book is kinda redundant to me and as such i'd no intention of buying it or reading threads on it.

bit of an over reaction by the mod but i suppose he'll calm down later. its the first time i seen him blow his top like that.

from that link it does indeed look like a crap book though as there are some pretty basic mistakes mentioned.

I have a Maximum Dinobots reserved now :) I'll pick up Continuum and anything else I can get my greasy mits on.

As for the G2 art style, I absolutely adore it. 80s pop art FTW

thanks for the link.

i had no idea such a bitchfest was going on ! :)

i hang around the IDW boards alot under another username but didnt see this as as ive already got most of the books online in individual issue form so the continuum book is kinda redundant to me and as such i'd no intention of buying it or reading threads on it.

bit of an over reaction by the mod but i suppose he'll calm down later. its the first time i seen him blow his top like that.

from that link it does indeed look like a crap book though as there are some pretty basic mistakes mentioned.

That wiki is no joke. Chris McFeely and Dave Willis. Their voice carries weight internationally in the TF community.

I have a Maximum Dinobots reserved now :) I'll pick up Continuum and anything else I can get my greasy mits on.

As for the G2 art style, I absolutely adore it. 80s pop art FTW

I loved G2's art style too, I was growing up with it so it was awesomely modern and dark :D

i liked what derek and geoff did.

in fact geoff did some of his best work in the last double sized issues

unfortunetly most of the books run was manny galen's and i just didnt like it at all.

i miss G2 as a storyline though. it had a real sci fi war edge to it.

i liked what derek and geoff did.

in fact geoff did some of his best work in the last double sized issues

unfortunetly most of the books run was manny galen's and i just didnt like it at all.

i miss G2 as a storyline though. it had a real sci fi war edge to it.

G2 Megs was also my favourite. Still a double hard bastard but almost believable as a war monger, more a dark reflection of Prime than his opposite number.

• Advertisement

Modelmaniacs/DublinCityComics of Temple Bar will have it tomorrow.

Read Maximum Dinobots ,up as far as AHM#7 and Continuum today. Im all geared up now. :)question: that Decepticon car guy (he just kind of showed up in AHM), that's Breakdown right?

Modelmaniacs/DublinCityComics of Temple Bar will have it tomorrow.

Read Maximum Dinobots ,up as far as AHM#7 and Continuum today. Im all geared up now. :)question: that Decepticon car guy (he just kind of showed up in AHM), that's Breakdown right?

Yarp.

Read an interview with IDW's publishing editor. He doesn't reveal a whole lot:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/interviews-27/tfw2005-interviews-idw-publishing-editor-andy-schmidt-168776/

Read an interview with IDW's publishing editor. He doesn't reveal a whole lot:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/interviews-27/tfw2005-interviews-idw-publishing-editor-andy-schmidt-168776/

Kinda read "please don't hate us".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

First issue of the new ongoing series is out tomorrow.

Two huge events happen that I won't spoil.

First comic I'll be buying in quite some time.

Kinda read "please don't hate us".

Asking transformers fans not to hate you is like peeing into the wind - futile.

Two huge events happen that I won't spoil.

Just visited tfw2005.com and there was a MASSIVE spoiler on the frontpage. :mad:

Just visited tfw2005.com and there was a MASSIVE spoiler on the frontpage. :mad:

Sigh.

THAT old storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Sigh.

THAT old storyline.

Ugh. Why did they make that so prominent? I didn't even have to wait for the page to load for spoilers to pop up in my face - in bright blue too :(

• Advertisement

Heaven forbid people should liek to READ their comics.
    I mean a generous preview of teh issue is one thing. The first few pages is a nice thing to get in order to whet one's appetite, but showing you the last page and shoving the entire story hook in your face is seriously uncool!

Advertisement