Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10k Crookstown Motorway run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Eek Ike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I know, looks like it could be a cross wind.

Will you be wearing you boards singlet, will keep an eye if so and probably tap you on the shoulder. Not sure if i can remember your face after berlin, it all got very hazy in that pub

ike wrote: »
    I know, looks like it could be a cross wind.

Will you be wearing you boards singlet, will keep an eye if so and probably tap you on the shoulder. Not sure if i can remember your face after berlin, it all got very hazy in that pub
    Yep, that's the plan. But if it's a strong cross-wind, might act a little like a sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Just back home and showered, so I'll stick up a quick report if anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure this is a one off event can't see the motorway being closed once its open.

Conditions
    Could have been a lot I suppose most of the rain held off there was a hell of a strong wind which really came into effect in the second half. Didn't find the cold too bad once I got going.

Course
    Pretty much 5km out and back. Started on one side of the motorway and finished on the other side. Crossing over on the way back involved coming off the motorway and up and down a gravel road (not an actual slipway). A bit of a short climb at this stage. Overall the course felt relatively flat, never felt like it was going uphill on any of the rises.

Organisation
    Seemed pretty bang on to me plenty of parking no congestion, loads of room to warmup and cool down. I collected my number the last night so it meant I could arrive a bit later. Chip timing was used with start mat 5km mat and finish mat. No congestion at the start, there seemed to be a lot of walkers but there was no tripping over anyone after about 50m the road was yours. Loads of refreshment afterwards inclucing hot tea, coffe and I though I saw soup, there was sandwiches, bananas, pasties, water etc. Medal for the finishers but no tshirt and the usual bits and pieces in the goodie bag.

My performance
    Didn't exactly burn it up, but than again I'm only getting back into a training routine so it gives me a good marker for now. Timed myself at 42:56 and got texted my finish time @ one o'clock which was officially 42:57, halfway in 21:01 and placed 40th overall. So I lost about a minute over the second half (there was no where to hide from the wind).

Met Krusty Clown (buy your own gloves :D), Mithril and Robinph at the start. Had a full on sprint with a guy for about the last 50 or so meters, he just pipped me in the end, but I think the commentator and crown had a good laugh with it.

So overall it was a great event would have been fantastic to run on a nice summers evening. Simply put if it was being run again I'd definately do it.

Well done to the organisers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got back myself. As Ike say it was a very good race, and we were well fed afterwards, could really have done without the head wind for the return leg.

Got the text message of my results as well with times of 18:57 for 5km and 39:27 for 10k and 17th place.

• Advertisement

I can't say that it was an enjoyable race (for me - except for crossing the finish line!) but the organization was spot-on. Probably one of the most un-scenic races I've ever done, but that's not the organizer's fault! What we did have was freshly laid tarmac, a very flat route, chip mats a-plenty, and hot coffee and goodies afterwards. Easy to get in and out in the car, it's a pity it's not an annual race.

Very happy with my race. A couple of weeks ago, I would've hoped to beat my 10k trial, but having run just 3 miles in the last week, and been ingesting a constant supply of Lemsip and Sinutab, I was delighted to finish in 38:42, in 14th place. Thanks to Robin and Mithril for keeping me slogging in the second half, into the tough soul-destroying wind. No thanks to Ike, who wouldn't even part with a single glove. The Michael Jackson one glove look is all the rage at the moment. :) Well done to DustyBin who posted a great time for a first 10k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That wind added 30 seconds a mile to each of my splits on the return leg, even trying to keep sheltered in behind Krusty_Clown after he went past me didn't work and I just kept going backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Delighted with my time. A PB of 45:32 and 78th place (5km split was 22:14). The wind from 5km to 6km was horrific (my km split was nearly 5 minutes there :eek:) but after that the wind wasnt as bad and I just pushed through it and managed to easily beat my target of 45:59.

Great organisation. Really enjoyable race and its a shame that it will probably be just a once off.

I noticed a Boardsie weeaing 627, not sure who it was, but whoever it was must have been very high up the field as you were out of sight within the first few hundred metres. Was too shattered to say hello after the race.:D

Well done 04072511. That must have been Robin you saw.
    Forgot to mention the medals, which are really nice. I pity the poor guy who had to hand-engrave 700+ of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Thanks Krusty
    Yeah, like what has been said above. Good organisation, nice flat course, no scenery, awful wind, cold and would do it again if on.
    Met both robinph and Krusty_Clown on the day. Was a handy spot really as they both quite helpfully wore their Boards AC tops. Good to meet some posters and thank God you're both nice ordinary people and not some weirdo strangers who I met in an internet chatroom!!
    Finished 67th with a time of 44:45.
    Very happy with position but thought that I'd manage a better time tbh. Died a death when I had to turn into that headwind alright.
    Will put up more detail in my log rather than repeat myself here if anyone's interested.
    Well done to the organisers, and here's to some goofy looking race photo's!!
    (t-shirt, shorts, gloves and hat are the in look right now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fuzzyfee

how many do you think took part in this run? well organised event but thank god for my ipod!

Will the results be put up on the net? On what website? I dont recall this race having its own website!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fuzzyfee

04072511 wrote: »
    Will the results be put up on the net? On what website? I dont recall this race having its own website!
    i have looked but cant find anything.a wee bit annoying or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Had a full on sprint with a guy for about the last 50 or so meters, he just pipped me in the end, but I think the commentator and crown had a good laugh with it.

Well lad that full on sprint was me and I tell it hurt like hell, but you were a good sport :-)

As for the event, cannot fault the organisation and as has already been mentioned not the most scenic route but still we all had some idea with been staged on a motorway :D

Anyone else see the lady in the first couple of kms on her electric wheelchair or was the cold playing tricks on me???

Yes indeed. I was wondering he her battery had given up the ghost! I think she would have struggled with the gravel anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

We were all talking about a crosswind - I certainly didn't expect a head wind!
    I was delighted to finish in 38:42, in 14th place.
    I was 13th in 38:41 (18:47 for 5k, so 19:54 for 2nd half). That is a PB for 5k!! I was quite happy with my time.

Krusty_Clown - you were behind me for the final 1-2k. I kept expecting you to make a break. Thanks for not doing so :p
    Thanks for the handshake afterwards. I was just glad it was over.

For the first half the tail wind was quite strong and 18:47 is a 5k PB for me! It was eerily quiet for that first half. I spent the first half doubting my choice of clothing - long tights, Nike Pro sleeveless base layer, long sleeved top over than and topped off with a windproof sleevless cycling gilet. When I began the second half I knew that those layers were a good choice, though my forearms were quite cold and my thighs got wet and nippy. The gilet kept my chest dry.

I thought that the 5-6k stretch was a steady incline, made worse with the head wind.

I had to leg it immediately after the race to go to a niece's 1st birthday in Cork.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Krusty_Clown - you were behind me for the final 1-2k. I kept expecting you to make a break. Thanks for not doing so :p
    Thanks for the handshake afterwards. I was just glad it was over.
    I could have made a break for it, but I'm sure you'd have had me covered. It would have been horribly unfair anyway, after using you as a target and eventually a wind shield for the last 1-2 kms! Great running by the way. It must have been very difficult to keep plugging away without a target in front of you. My splits were 19:09 and 19:33. Not bad under the windy conditions.

If there was a team prize, I reckon we would have nailed it, with three in the top 20 + DaymoBrew (honorary member!).
    I'll fire the organizers off an e-mail, and see if they have the results.

I'll fire the organizers off an e-mail, and see if they have the results.

Good idea. Its quite frustrating not having a website to look for these results on. Report back if you hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

robinph wrote: »
    That wind added 30 seconds a mile to each of my splits on the return leg, even trying to keep sheltered in behind Krusty_Clown after he went past me didn't work and I just kept going backwards.
    Pretty much the same story for me.
    I went out a bit too fast and the head-wind in the second half of the race destroyed me.

Left my mobile at work so have not got the results yet.

I think I was in 16th place in about 39:10. This is a PB for me but I have done a lot of tempo runs in the last few months and hoped for better.

Pretty impressive organization from a school committee who are unlikely to have done this before. Tent to huddle from the wind at the end was a godsend and sandwiches and hot drinks hit the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I could have made a break for it, but I'm sure you'd have had me covered. It would have been horribly unfair anyway, after using you as a target and eventually a wind shield for the last 1-2 kms! Great running by the way. It must have been very difficult to keep plugging away without a target in front of you.
    I did have targets but they kept getting further and further away.
    I was going to hassle you about drafting ;)
    I did try to up the speed just a little and I hoped that I would have been able to hold you off if you did make a break :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Alright folks, some great times there. Thought it was one of the best organised runs I've done to date.
    Split 23.05 and 23.40. Came 99th. Pipped some guy on the line after a 100 metre sprint, actually I wouldn't really call it a sprint into that wind.
    Still haven't broken into the 45mins yet though. Think I could have done if it wasn't so windy.
    Well done to the organisers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Was happy to just break 45m clocking myself at 44:59 but official time was 45:07 for 75th! That 4k marker was way off unless i did a 3:50 km over the bridge. Didnt know there is a boards ac. Can anyone join?

Sklarker wrote: »
    Was happy to just break 45m clocking myself at 44:59 but official time was 45:07 for 75th! That 4k marker was way off unless i did a 3:50 km over the bridge. Didnt know there is a boards ac. Can anyone join?
    I think the qualifying standard for membership is 45 minutes for 10K:)
    However they might be able to make an exception for you.
    Board A.C. details and a membership form are on
    http://boardsac.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Beags6257

Re: 10k Crookstown Motorway Run - THE RESULTS !!!

Hi Roadrunners,

Thanks again for taking part in this race and making the event such a huge success. See your results attached. No doubt there were some Personal Bests achieved.

Well done again to you all and thank you for supporting our event.
    Should you have any queries, don't hesitate to drop us an email: laurencesparentscouncil@gmail.com.

10k Crookstown Motorway Run Organising committee

P.S. Photos coming soon - expect an email in the coming few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Hi Beags,

I dont think these are the chip times?

Was delighted to finish 27th, but I was a bit back from the start line. Cant wait to find out my chip time!

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Beags6257

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Hi Beags,

I dont think these are the chip times?

Was delighted to finish 27th, but I was a bit back from the start line. Cant wait to find out my chip time!

Cheers.

These are the chip times alright Andrew ... You ran a great race by the looks of it ... 00:41:43.

Well done again.

Pat McCann.

They seem to be pretty spot on for my own gun to finish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

mithril wrote: »
    I knew I shouldn't have had second helpings at the breakfast buffet in the Talbot...that extra black pudding cost me the 7 seconds!! Cheers for the info Mithril:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Beags6257 wrote: »
    These are the chip times alright Andrew ... You ran a great race by the looks of it ... 00:41:43.

Well done again.

Pat McCann.

Okay. Cheers man.

• Advertisement

mithril wrote: »
    I thought it was obvious that my comment about missing the qualifying standard was meant as a joke, but just in case, no athletic club in the country has a minimum standard for membership.
    All runners of any standard are welcome to join.

Advertisement