Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10k Crookstown Motorway run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

It's not that music players were ever disallowed but there is a general movement towards banning them on safety grounds. The problem with running with music players is that people are generally unaware of their surroundings and often cut across in front of other runners etc. Some races are run on roads that aren't closed to traffic and the dangers in that case are obvious.

I'm assuming it is being allowed in this case as it will be run on a nice wide open motorway with plenty of room.

As a person who used to run with music over 2 years ago I found better training and losing weight made me run faster not the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They are banned in the Connemarathon events, on threat of removal from the race/disqualification
    Are ipods and mp3 players banned ?
    Yes, all personal music devices are banned for safety reasons.
    Our race vehicles and ambulances must use the course, and must be able to alert participants of their presence.
    A ban means that anyone using a device during the event will be disqualified from our results and will not be registered as a Connemarathon finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

They are banned in the Connemarathon events, on threat of removal from the race/disqualification

goddamn, personal music devices, i can't even bring my walkman with megabass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

As much as the crowd can help you at certain points, there are many parts of a race where there is sweet F all supporters watching the race. It can get extremely boring at these points, so I need my IPod!

04072511 wrote: »
    As much as the crowd can help you at certain points, there are many parts of a race where there is sweet F all supporters watching the race. It can get extremely boring at these points, so I need my IPod!
    I wore one for my first marathon, and never have worn one again since. Races are something to be savored, not ignored. Don't expect too many supporters at the Crookstown 10k though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Don't expect too many supporters at the Crookstown 10k though!
    And the straightness of the route will be extra boring. And unlike running the Phoenix Park, there won't be any deer or trees to look at.

Maybe those with iPods could use the hard shoulder :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I generally be too busy thinking about catching the guy in front or trying to make sure the guy behin doesn't catch me so be getting bored and want to be listening to any music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Can anyone tell me for sure if the distances on the course are marked?
    If so are they every KM or mile or both?
    It might sound a bit lame but I want to get my pacing sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Mantra Dave

I wanted to do this race and went to register today only I didn't know there was a 500 people limit. I am really gutted! If anyone has to drop out can they PM me and I'll pay them for their entry?

I wanted to do this race and went to register today only I didn't know there was a 500 people limit. I am really gutted! If anyone has to drop out can they PM me and I'll pay them for their entry?
    They actually topped out at 700 entrants. Your best bet is to contact the organizers (one of whom has been posting here), and see if they can do anything for you. Also see if transfers are allowed (otherwise your post may be removed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Beags6257

DustyBin wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me for sure if the distances on the course are marked?
    If so are they every KM or mile or both?
    It might sound a bit lame but I want to get my pacing sorted out

Not lame at all DB ... We have km markers along the route and the final km is broken down further ... 600m ... 400m ... 200m to encourage a sprint finish.

Look forward to seeing you all on the day, fingers crossed for some running-friendly weather !! If acuweather.com is to be trusted, we just might be alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wore one for my first marathon, and never have worn one again since. Races are something to be savored, not ignored. Don't expect too many supporters at the Crookstown 10k though!

Yep I did the same, your mind is buzzing so much you don't even hear the music anyway. Between doing maths in your head, dodging racepix365 photographers and trying to distract yourself from pain you're not going to be hearing much music anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Beags6257

They actually topped out at 700 entrants. Your best bet is to contact the organizers (one of whom has been posting here), and see if they can do anything for you. Also see if transfers are allowed (otherwise your post may be removed).

Huge response to this race and you are right KC, we maxed out at 700 entrants with a waiting/cancellation list that stands at around 50 runners.

We would love to have kept registration open but it is out of our hands as we were limited by a max figure agreed with the road contractors.

Email me about transfers if you like (laurencesparentscouncil@gmail.com) and we can work something out.

Hasnt been a lot of talk about this particular race. So what times are people targeting on saturday?

My PB being 46:59, I'm going to target a 45:59!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Beags6257 wrote: »
    Huge response to this race and you are right KC, we maxed out at 700 entrants with a waiting/cancellation list that stands at around 50 runners.

We would love to have kept registration open but it is out of our hands as we were limited by a max figure agreed with the road contractors.

Email me about transfers if you like (laurencesparentscouncil@gmail.com) and we can work something out.

Hi Beags6257,
    I've emailed in to say that someone can have my entry.
    Not feeling too well, don't think I could handle the full 10km.

Better for someone else to have a proper go at it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hasnt been a lot of talk about this particular race. So what times are people targeting on saturday?

If I can get close to 38 something I'll be happy, a lot will depend on the direction the wind is blowing and how many people there are to chase down the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Never raced 10k before
    McMillan reckons 43
    Will be going b*lls out for a very optimistic 42.00

Not doing the same training load as I was earlier in the year so will be very happy to get close to 41 but will be equally happy to get close to 42...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

McMillan reckons 44:x but I bet he didn't run a marathon 12 day before :D

I'll just have to see how the legs are on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

39:32 is my previous best but I think I can take a minute off this on a flat course.

• Advertisement

Had hoped for 38:xx, but have not put on a running shoe since Saturday, because of flu (of the non trotter + curly tail variety). Just hope to make the race now, and will have to wait and see on the day.

Will go along and take photos on the day, if I can't run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

mithril wrote: »
    39:32 is my previous best but I think I can take a minute off this on a flat course.

make it 2 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

make it 2 min.
    I am slower than the sub 3 time in Berlin suggests. I seem to have a lot more stamina than speed. My fastest time on the McMillan calculator is the marathon and race performance gets worse as the race length shortens. I think this should be normal for a runner focussing on a marathon because of the specificity of the training but does not appear to be the case for most runners.
    This is why I am going to try and give ultra-running a shot this year.

My PB is 37:55 in BUPA 10k in 2007 but just got sub 40 this year (getting older). I hope the flat course will help me to get sub 39 or better. I'll be wearing my new Asics Hyperspeed 3 shoes so, while lighter than my old Asics Speedstars, I might not have enough miles in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dilby

Just for those of you wondering about the levels of the course, I used to do a bit of running from the flyover towards Crookstown and it has a good few hills gradual and a step incline about half way

How fast would this course be in relation to the Great Ireland Run?

How fast would this course be in relation to the Great Ireland Run?
    Before reading Dilby's comment about hills I would have thought it was nice and flat, and fast.

The Great Ireland Run had 2 downhills (Kyber Pass and down into Furry Glen) but also 2 climbs (long climb up from Chapelizod Gate and short sharp climb out of Furry Glen).

I am most concerned about how exposed the road is - some motorways are sunken (e.g. new M8 after Cullihill) but others very exposed (e.g. M8 after Fermoy toll).

BTW the roundabout mentioned in the directions is shown on Google Maps (labelled Prumpelstown Lower) - it is at the start of the Carlow by-pass.

I'd expect them to have flattened out the majority of minor ups and downs in the landscape with them building a motorwya through it. As daymobrew says though I'd be more concerned with being exposed to the wind along the way, and even if it is dug into a cutting we could still get a good wind in one direction going against us.

If it's a windless day though then it should be fast, and hopefully not too crowded at the start with it being on a nice wide road.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Yeah I'm in a bit of fear about the wind and the open spaces - Cross Winds on motorways move my car what is it going to do to me???

• Advertisement

nat01_weather.png?1116

nat01_wind.png?1116

:rolleyes:

Advertisement