Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordnance Survey (OSI) Thread

• 03-11-2009 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just thought I'd get a thread on state mapping started. I'm sure everyone knows about the great OSI website here.

Does anyone know when the OSI's next road atlas edition is to be released though? Even schemes that are five years open at this stage (see Kildare/Monasterevin BPs!) are missing from the OSI's online map viewer, though the schematics have been penciled in alright.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

+1

the historic map viewer on their website is fantastic - you can look at the map from 150 years ago and then overlay the modern map on top of it. There's also a later version from around the turn of the 20th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

The OSI is a superb website, I've been trying to point people to it on the Waterford forums. The addition of the historical maps has improved it even more. Just wish they'd update the current aerial photos to match the mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I'm well impressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We will always be a few years behind for aerial photos ( unless Google street view stings them into action next year )

Quick Summary

For Ireland

maps.yahoo.com has the best road map IMO
    maps.live.com has the same map but is buggier
    osi.ie has the discovery series in a layer if you zoom right in ( middle of home page has maps link), however you get small areas at a time where live and yahoo give you whole counties
    map24.de has a nice distance marker ( looks like a ruler) but is otherwise crap for ireland despite being the same map base as live and yahoo ( navteq)
    maps.google.com has the best terrain ( contour) map but has ****e roadmaps
    maps.google.com has the best modern ( post 2005) aerial photographs overall but coverage is dreadfully spotty
    maps.live.com has by far the the best quality Irish city aerial photography but is useless outside the main cities .
    osi.ie has aerial photography from 1995 2000 and 2005 and a land registry overlay
    osi.ie has historic maps , 1910 and 1845 ( thereabouts)
    archive.org has the encyclopedia of ireland from 1905 which has the best old county maps to use with the OSI ones ( it is a 57Mb pdf here )
    osi has a smorgasbord of odds and ends of maps and mapping history on a special historic site here pre 1913 .

The Perry Casteneda Collection in Texas is a great free resource of world maps from different eras .

County Libraries in Ireland have sought out and uploaded even older out of copyright maps such as the Bald Map of Mayo from around 1810 which is here . Your own county library may have done something similar with some map I never heard of . I declare to **** that Bald has the Western Rail Corridor marked on it and all and Ballaghadereen is in Mayo !!! :(

Between all that lot ye should be able to do something useful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Multimap.com I find is great for road maps and townland names in Ireland!

+1 on OSI historics, great for overlaying on modern aerial, screenprint and stitch together in Photoshop FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

Hi, does anyone know where I can find out what the symbols are on the OSI maps? e.g. G.P?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

chewed wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where I can find out what the symbols are on the OSI maps? e.g. G.P?

In the legend on any of the paper maps

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Furet wrote: »

Does anyone know when the OSI's next road atlas edition is to be released though?

I met someone last weekend who had a spanking new OSi road atlas that shows all the new roads, and some that are not completed (not as dotted lines) and I think even some of the planned ones like the Gort to Rathmorrisey. I was particularly impressed by the paper used, which seemed to be far more durable than previous editions. I have searched for it in every petrol station I've been in since but haven't found it. The one in my car is 10 years old and I've been waiting for this edition to come out.

http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/official-road-atlas-ireland.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every Applegreen station I've been in seems to have the new national and Dublin ones. The national one has Gort-Rathmorrisey as open (as said) but not Rathmorrisey to Tuam even as a broken line, oddly...

I've managed to tear a page out of the Dublin one already, but I go through an OSi dublin mapbook in a year with my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    . I declare to **** that Bald has the Western Rail Corridor marked on it and all and Ballaghadereen is in Mayo !!! :(

Between all that lot ye should be able to do something useful

The border was changed in 1898 for a number of different counties.You'll also notice that Inishbofin and Inishshark are both in Mayo on the Bald map whereas now they are in Galway. Likewise the area south of Tourmakeady along west shore of Lough Mask use to be part of Galway.

The map is in DjVu format, there is a free application available to view this format here

One of the interesting border changes happened where part of Waterford was given to Kilkenny, of course Waterford now want it back but a 100years of the GAA is having a knock-on effect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I got the new one at the Waterford book centre in red square for 9.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

detective wrote: »
    I got the new one at the Waterford book centre in red square for 9.99

Already covered that here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055799339
    ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Quick Summary Update ( Original post some time back)

For Ireland

maps.yahoo.com still has the best quick and dirty road map IMO
    maps.live.com has the same map but is buggier, it has improved since bing
    osi.ie has the discovery series in a layer if you zoom right in ( middle of home page has maps link), however you get small areas at a time where live and yahoo give you whole counties
    map24.de has a nice distance marker ( looks like a ruler) but is otherwise crap for ireland despite being the same map base as live and yahoo ( navteq)
    maps.google.com STILL has s***e roadmaps
    maps.google.com has the best modern ( post 2005) aerial photographs overall but coverage is dreadfully spotty
    maps.live.com has by far the the best quality Irish city aerial photography but is useless outside the main cities .
    maps.live.com has the only 3D imagery, of cities. You need IE7 or higher.
    osi.ie has aerial photography from 1995 2000 and 2005 and a land registry overlay
    osi.ie has historic maps , 1905 and 1845 ( thereabouts)
    archive.org has the encyclopedia of ireland from 1905 which has the best old county maps to use with the OSI ones ( it is a 57Mb pdf here )
    osi has a smorgasbord of odds and ends of maps and mapping history on a special historic site here pre 1913 .
    david ramsay has a very good road map from around 1860. HERE showing pre 1898 county boundaries , it is known as the Keith Johnston map, he of WS and K Johnston of Edinburgh and who died in 1870 or so...there were some county boundary changes between 1898 and 1900. You may EXPORT this free as a jpg, you need to select extra large or extra extra large ( 10 or 20 mb)

The Perry Casteneda Collection in Texas is a great free resource of world maps from different eras .

County Libraries in Ireland have sought out and uploaded even older out of copyright maps such as the Bald Map of Mayo from around 1810 which is here . Your own county library may have done something similar with some map I never heard of .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

You missed a bit there :p

Allow me:

OpenStreetMap has the most up-to-date coverage of any map, and suffers less from the inaccuracies of commercial map data. It doesn't yet have complete coverage, but anybody can add to or edit it. A range of different cartographic styles are produced on both the main project site and a range of others based on OSM data.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

mackerski wrote: »
    You missed a bit there :p

Allow me:

OpenStreetMap has the most up-to-date coverage of any map, and suffers less from the inaccuracies of commercial map data. It doesn't yet have complete coverage, but anybody can add to or edit it. A range of different cartographic styles are produced on both the main project site and a range of others based on OSM data.

Without doubt OSM is the best map around but I'm wondering what would be the route planner map? The AA uses Google so that's completely out of date and I haven't been able to find any other decent one.

Update to Add

Actually I take it back. The AA site is actually fine because even though it uses Google Maps it obviously has its own database which has the complete M8 and M6 (not the M9 yet though) in it so while the maps look crap, the directions are actually solid enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Jayuu wrote: »
    Without doubt OSM is the best map around but I'm wondering what would be the route planner map? The AA uses Google so that's completely out of date and I haven't been able to find any other decent one.

Update to Add

Actually I take it back. The AA site is actually fine because even though it uses Google Maps it obviously has its own database which has the complete M8 and M6 (not the M9 yet though) in it so while the maps look crap, the directions are actually solid enough.

Mapquest are using OSM data and have a good routing interface so you could try it out for comparison.

http://open.mapquest.co.uk

Eg here's an example route for calculating your Dail mileage expenses ;-)

http://open.mapquest.co.uk/link/h/3-nTQM7oSJ

As mackerski stated, OSM isn't complete, especially in the more rural areas but we're usually the most up-to-date for N and M roads. All the R and L roads will eventually all get filled-in, but the great thing is that everybody has the power to keep their neck of the woods up to date.

So was looking at the Ordance Survey 2005 aerial shots of around Carnmore county galway (an area poorly covered by bing/google). when I came across a very strange looking linear structure. It looks like a whole set of dirt tracks stretching for several km's. anyone know anything about this? It's not present on the 2000 aerial shots:
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,541282,733966,6

It seems to run north/south and their is a route running west to the quarry north of the airport.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,535267,729037,5

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those kind of things are usually pipelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Looks like a gas pipeline to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

dubhthach wrote: »
    So was looking at the Ordance Survey 2005 aerial shots of around Carnmore county galway (an area poorly covered by bing/google). when I came across a very strange looking linear structure. It looks like a whole set of dirt tracks stretching for several km's. anyone know anything about this? It's not present on the 2000 aerial shots:
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,541282,733966,6

It seems to run north/south and their is a route running west to the quarry north of the airport.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,535267,729037,5

I would think that it is a gas main under construction. The dates match

Link

• Advertisement

Indeed, funnily enough I posted in telecoms thread about how Bord Gáis are going to be laying fibre in the ducts alongside this pipeline. Too much time on computer today has my mind frazzled so didn't put 2 and 2 together when looking at ordance survey aerial shots. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jude1

Hi I was wondering if i can get aerial photo of my house in 1990
    is there an archive website where i can browse through?:):):)

For Ireland

maps.yahoo.com still has the best quick and dirty road map IMO
    maps.live.com has the same map but is buggier, it has improved since bing
    maps.google.com STILL has s***e roadmaps
    maps.live.com has the only 3D imagery, of cities. You need IE7 or higher.
    osi.ie has historic maps , 1905 and 1845 ( thereabouts)
    david ramsay has a very good road map from around 1860. HERE showing pre 1898 county boundaries , it is known as the Keith Johnston map, he of WS and K Johnston of Edinburgh and who died in 1870 or so...there were some county boundary changes between 1898 and 1900. You may EXPORT this free as a jpg, you need to select extra large or extra extra large ( 10 or 20 mb)

County Libraries in Ireland have sought out and uploaded even older out of copyright maps such as the Bald Map of Mayo from around 1810 which is here . Your own county library may have done something similar with some map I never heard of .

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Does anyone know what the latest edition of the Ordance Survey Official Dublin Street Guide is? (The ring bound A4 version, not the map)

(online shop on OSI website seems to be currently down? )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Does anyone know what the latest edition of the Ordance Survey Official Dublin Street Guide is? (The ring bound A4 version, not the map)

(online shop on OSI website seems to be currently down? )

10th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I've noticed that the OSI do not give publication details of their discovery map series on-line but the OSNI do give this information in their dicoverer series on-line. This is the 1:50000 scale maps

Unfortunately I couldn't see maps 16 and 37 in bookshops to locate the date of publication. Maybe somebody here could find out when those maps were published

I have noticed that map 26 is interesting with the OSI publication being 2012 and the OSNI publication being 2017. Maybe somebody could find out if the map location is the same and if there is any difference due to publishing dates

I decided to have the counties beside the map numbers to give location
    The Northern Ireland counties are highlighted. The reason is related to the Map Table

County Table
    Sym.|County||Sym.|County||Sym.|County||Sym.|County
    AH|Armagh||DN|Down||LD|Longford||RN|Roscommon
    AM|Antrim||DY|Derry||LH|Louth||SO|Sligo
    C|Cork||FH|Fermanagh||LM|Leitrim||T|Tipperary
    CE|Clare||G|Galwat||LS|Laois||TE|Tyrone
    CN|Cavan||KE|Kildare||MH|Meath||W|Waterford
    CW|Carlow||KK|Kilkenny||MN|Monaghan||WH|Westmeath
    D|Dublin||KY|Kerry||MO|Mayo||WX|Wexford
    DL|Donegal||L|Lmerick||OY|Offaly||WW|Wicklow

The OSNI Maps are highlighted

Map Table
    Map|Counties|Years||Maps|Counties|Years||Maps|Counties|Years
    1|DL|2012||29|AH DN LH|2018||61|CW KE KK LS WW|2011
    2|DL|2012||30|MO|2015||62|CW WX WW|2012
    3|DL|2012||31|MO|2016||63|CE KY|2012
    4|AM DL DY|2017||32|MO RN SO|2011||64|CE KY L|2012
    5|AM DY|2011||33|LM LD RN SO|2012||65|CE L T|2012
    6|DL TE|2012||34|CN LM LD|2003||66|L T|2011
    7|DY DL TE|2017||35|CN LM MH MN|2003||67|KK T|2012
    8|AM DY|2015||36|AH DN LH|2012||68|CW KK WX|2012
    9|AM|2017||37|G MO|||69|WX|2012
    10|DL|2012||38|G MO|2014||70|KY|2015
    11|DL FH TE|2012||39|G MO RN|2003||71|KY|2012
    12|DL TE|2012||40|G LD RN WH|2010||72|C KY L|2006
    13|TE DY|2015||41|LD MH WH|2015||73|C L|2011
    14|AM DY TE|2012||42|MH WH|2016||74|C L T W|2018
    15|AM DN|2016||43|D LH MH|2012||75|KK T W|2012
    16|DL FH LM RN SO|||44|G|2015||76|CW KK W WX|2012
    17|DL FH LM TE|2016||45|G|2012||77|WX|2012
    18|FH MN TE|2012||46|G|2003||78|KY|2015
    19|AM MN TE|2015||47|G OY RN WH|2010||79|C KY|2011
    20|AM AH DN|2017||48|OY WH|2017||80|C|2012
    21|DN|2011||49|KE MH OY WH|2015||81|C W|2011
    22|MO|2015||50|D KE MH WW|2015||82|W|2011
    23|MO|2015||51|CE G|2015||83|KY|2015
    24|MO SO|2012||52|CE G|2012||84|C KY|2015
    25|LM RN SO|2012||53|CE G OY T|2011||85|C KY|2015
    26|CN FH LM RN SO|2012||54|LS OY T|2011||86|C|2015
    26|CN FH LM RN SO|2017||55|KE LS OY WW|2011||87|C|2012
    27|CN FH MN|2011||56|D KE WW|2015||88|C|2015
    27A|CN FH LM MN|2005||57|CE|2012||89|C|2012
    28|AH FH CN MN LH|2017||58|CE L T|2012|||||
    28A|CN FH MN TE|2012||59|CE OY T|2011|||||
    28B|AH CN MN TE|2005||60|KK LS T|2011|||||

• Amtmann wrote: »
    Just thought I'd get a thread on state mapping started. I'm sure everyone knows about the great OSI website here.

Does anyone know when the OSI's next road atlas edition is to be released though? Even schemes that are five years open at this stage (see Kildare/Monasterevin BPs!) are missing from the OSI's online map viewer, though the schematics have been penciled in alright.

Bump!
    Does anyone know where to find the OSI's online map viewer these days? I can't find any aerial photographs on their website currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bump!
    Does anyone know where to find the OSI's online map viewer these days? I can't find any aerial photographs on their website currently.

the Map Viewer link is on their main webpage
    http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html

Advertisement