Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Construction Projects - Start & End Dates

• 14-09-2009 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

* CUCINA et al what's the likely M3 opening date?
    * Can Kaizer or Kev please estimate when they think M6 G-B will open?
    * Word is Bor, Berty, Tech2: What of the M7 N-C and Shannon Tunnel schemes?
    * Calling Fricatus, Bards, Sully, Rameire, Munurty and the rest of the SE Brigade: Supply us with the best opening date estimates for the Waterford Bypass and the rest of the M9 schemes please!
    * Tech2: How goes the M18 G-C scheme?

NOTE, Compose your estimate as follows:
    M7/M8 PPP: Official deadline - Q4 2010; My estimate (as of September 2009) is for completion in August 2010.

Let's try to keep this clean: estimate dates (for the most part) only. Try not to discuss the nitty gritty of construction progress here - link to individual posts within the various parent motorway threads to justify your guestimate if necessary. This thread is basically an experiment. If it works well and is easy to read, then I might sticky it. If not, it was worth a go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

I heard yesterday that this will open on October 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

M9 Waterford-Knocktopher: Official deadline - Q3 2009 ; My estimate (as of September 2009) is for completion in Jan/Feb 2010.

According to this post, the M9 Waterford-Knocktopher is due to open before Christmas, but it's weather dependent.

This post has me thinking there's still quite a bit to do around Mullinavat, which is why my (personal, based on nothing) estimate is a little further out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

M7 Nenagh-Limerick: Official deadline - Q2 2009; My Estimate (as of September 2009) is for it to open ("on tme and on budget" of course) in December 2009/January 2010 (I'm leaning more towards the latter).

I should check out Cullahill-Portlaoise to see how that's going. I'd reckon for that, still late 2010, but I haven't been up near the site in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

N7 Castletown Nenagh is slated for Q4 2010 but it will push well into 2011, probably Q2 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

M7 Castletown-Nenagh: Official deadline - Q4 2010; My estimate (as of September 2009) is for completion in April 2011.

This is progress in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭rameire

M9 Kilcullen to Carlow Built by Roadbridge 27.55km length.
    Official Deadline Q4 2010
    Map

I predict excluding the athy link road that the scheme will complete on Jan 21 2010. (edit) im going to say Friday 18th December 2009.
    this is just a guess on what activity i see going on every day.
    I was going to say November 17th but I think that is just a tad hopeful.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

M6 Galway-Ballinasloe: December 2009/January 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

M3: due open in July 2010; the NRA says it could open around "mid-spring" 2010, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

M3 Motorway scheduled to open July 2010.

As mentioned here by imeddyhobbs and I also agree with his prediction of March 2010 (early March is my prediction).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

M18 Gort-Crusheen: Official deadline - Q2 2011; My estimate (as of September 2009) is for completion in August 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

tech2 wrote: »
    M18 Gort-Crusheen: Official deadline - Q2 2011; My estimate (as of September 2009) is for completion in August 2010.

I reckon they'll manage to pull it to July 2010, to coincide with Galway Races 2010. Similar to Ballinasloe - Athlone this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

I reckon they'll manage to pull it to July 2010, to coincide with Galway Races 2010. Similar to Ballinasloe - Athlone this year.
    Agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Reading the various posts I think it will be between the Galway Motorway (m6) and the Waterford motorway (m9) to be the first complete interurban. I am quite familiar with the M9 and reckon it will be complete July-ish time or maybe a little earlier. What is the best guess on the M6? I have seen a picture on the M6 post of the Suck bridge and it looks far off completion compared to all the stuctures on the M9 so will the M6 be finished before the M9??

My views are my own.

M6 they are saying officially 4th January 2010 for the last section (which means before Christmas), however there is general doubt that this will be achieved. Probably Spring 2010.

I'd be very surprised if the M6 isnt the first MIU to be completed. (I dont count the M1 as it isnt DC/motorway to Belfast :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Thats impressive so, as the M6 will be 6 months ahead of the M9. When did the last section start?

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 The strawman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've heard April 2010 from a number of sources for the M6 Galway - Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

kaizersoze wrote: »

Does the fact that a section is tolled mean there needs to be a more 'organised' opening date than non-tolled sections? i.e. frontline staff need to be hired and booths need to be manned?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

kaizersoze wrote: »

Make that jan 4th 2010 for he official opening:cool:
    Possibly open a month before that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

galwayrush wrote: »
    Make that jan 4th 2010 for he official opening:cool:
    Possibly open a month before that.

Any Jan 4th date (this isn't the only scheme with that rumored date IIRC) probably means the barriers being lifted before Christmas, because I can't see either builders or the minister working the 28th/29th/30th under any circumstances and the rest of the days back to the 24th are holidays or weekends.

Opening in the week of the 21st-24th December would probably create the most notable post-opening traffic impact of a scheme since the M4 PPP - when I can remember AA Roadwatch announcing "there are no delays through Enfield or Kinnegad, for the first time ever" or words to that effect!

• Advertisement

4th January is the original completion date, which means before Christmas. I would be very surprised if they get this done in nine weeks, which is what that would ask.

I've heard Feb 2010 and April 2010 thrown about, but I doubt it'll be the Jan 4th date, theres too much left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

4th January is the original completion date, which means before Christmas. I would be very surprised if they get this done in nine weeks, which is what that would ask.

I've heard Feb 2010 and April 2010 thrown about, but I doubt it'll be the Jan 4th date, theres too much left to do.

Seems to be a lot to do, but i got the date from someone working on the surface finish for the road. He said possibly usable in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Workers on the road are now saying the target date is Dec 8.
    I know that some of the companies involved are starting to plan for letting people go before Christmas.
    Its confusing when people involved in the build say one thing and observers say another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

Is there any possiblity of an phased opening on the M6 or is that a non runner because of it being privately operated?

Bypassing Ballinasloe would have made so much common sense, but apparently they said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

BluntGuy wrote: »
    M7 Nenagh-Limerick: Official deadline - Q2 2009; My Estimate (as of September 2009) is for it to open ("on tme and on budget" of course) in December 2009/January 2010 (I'm leaning more towards the latter).

I should check out Cullahill-Portlaoise to see how that's going. I'd reckon for that, still late 2010, but I haven't been up near the site in a while.

According to sources Cullahill to Portlaoise is due to be completed around June 2010, 3 months ahead of schedule.

According to sources Cullahill to Portlaoise is due to be completed around June 2010, 3 months ahead of schedule.

What sources? It's achieveable I think, but 14 September is the target date that I've received from my source, who has access to official progress reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

rekrow wrote: »
    Is there any possiblity of an phased opening on the M6 or is that a non runner because of it being privately operated?

Well, the bridge between Ballinasloe and Aughrim aint finished yet, and i am not sure if the Ballinasloe-West junction is finished either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Solberg2005

Furet wrote: »
    What sources? It's achieveable I think, but 14 September is the target date that I've received from my source, who has access to official progress reports.

We were brought out on a site visit about 6 weeks ago and that was the latest schedule that they were hoping to aim for. Its definately more than achievable.

• Advertisement

We were brought out on a site visit about 6 weeks ago and that was the latest schedule that they were hoping to aim for. Its definately more than achievable.

Excellent. Did you see much of the M7 section north of the intersection with the M8? That was the most unadvanced part for a long time... Any chance you could post your reply here if you get a chance?

Advertisement