Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Walsh Signs 2 year deal with St.Kilda

• 19-10-2009 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

WALSH SIGNS FOR ST KILDA

19th October - Kerry forward Tommy Walsh has today signed a two year contract with AFL team St Kilda’s of Melbourne and will depart for Australia in the coming weeks to take up pre season training with his new team.
    Walsh commented today, “I’m very excited. I'm glad all the speculation is over and I'm looking forward to going over to the Saints. It was a very tough decision but it was just too good an opportunity to pass up. I have got a lot of support from fellow club and county players, family and friends in Kerry. I'm not under any illusions about what's ahead and hopefully it will work out."
    Walsh commented about his trial experience last December with the Saints, “I met the first-team coach, the captain Nick Riewoldt and some of the players and felt comfortable from the start but I was really focused on committing to my club Kerins O'Rahilly's and also to Kerry for the 2009 season”
    A player of Walsh’s calibre is a significant coup for the Saints and the Club believes he can effectively make the transition to play AFL football and be an exciting prospect in 2010 and beyond.

St Kilda General Manager Football – List Management, Matthew Drain said, “We are very pleased. Tommy Walsh is one of the most credentialed players to come out of Ireland. While he faces hard work to adapt to AFL at the highest level, we are confident that what we have seen of him proves he has enormous talent to become an important player for St Kilda."

Matthew Drain continued, “Essentially, the Tommy Walsh deal has taken place as a first round draft pick, based on his size, ability and credentials. He is very agile for his height”

Drain arrived in Kerry on Sunday to discuss final details with Tommy Walsh and his family before signing the two year contract at Walsh's home in Tralee today.
    Ends

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

Another one bites the dust.... Should have a good chance of being succesful over there, has the physical aspect and has a strong skill set, depends on his work ethic I guess. Best of luck to the guy. Disappointing to lose a man that could have been a legend of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i cant say i am happy with this....im not. a big loss to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I say good luck to him. Life is too short, if he didn't do it he'd always have regrets and "what if" syndrome. If it doesn't work out for him over there the worst he has to do is come home.

All the best Tommy, hope you enjoy it over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

i cant say i am happy with this....im not. a big loss to us.
    I'm sure you'll manage without him, Barry John can take his place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

any chance of him bringing the rest of the Kerry Squad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's going to interesting to see how Kerry perform in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Disappointed- he was huge for us this year against Meath and in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

Its a big loss but him moving to oz now frees up a space for someone to move into like his brother Barry John

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I got really confused and thought it was the other Tommy Walsh going to the AFL :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Really disappointed. But fair play to him, he gave it an extra year with us which was class. Not sure if Barry John is the one to come in. Sheehan is in cracking form the last few games so he might be worth another shot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Good for Tommy. Decent weather, decent money and leaving a country in ribbons behind.
    His brother will probably join him in 12 months.
    I take it that David Moran has decided to stay put??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Moran will be more of a loss if he decides to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

Moran is heading out on a 2 week trial when Tommy goes out. 2 of Kerrys brightest hopes could be plying their trade outside of the green and gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 crocs2010

Massive loss to the game....but you can't blame the big man for going!

Moran will be a huge loss if he wins the contract. No doubt Barry John will also go!
    Poor Strand Road:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Moran will be a huge loss if he wins the contract. No doubt Barry John will also go!
    Poor Strand Road:D
    Yeah,poor Narries:D

gerocks wrote: »
    Yeah,poor Narries:D

A few Tralee District League titles on the way for Stacks then!
    I presume with that name your not a John Mitchels fan;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I can only see this benefiting Kerry next year when they play Cork in Munster (and probably in the AI final ;) ).

Advertisement