Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a trained bird for Film

Options
  • 11-10-2009 6:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

Hi all,

This may seem like a peculiar request, but I need help in finding a bird wrangler with a trained bird, who may be interested in taking part in a scene of a movie being shot later this month in Co. Monaghan.

By any chance would anyone on this board be able to point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate your help.

For more detailed information please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Paddy Slattery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Paddy Slattery

Thanks a million. I'll check it out.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

You could also try Falconry Ireland www.falconryofireland.com I've been out there and the birds are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bird is a bit random lol what type of bird, parrot, bird of prey etc?

Thanks lads, really appreciate it.

The kind of bird isn't specified in the script, but not as big as a Falcon. Forgive my lack of knowledge for the specie but something smaller in size. I'll come back with a more educated reply tomorrow.

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Birr Castle is also the home of the National Birds of Prey Centre ... might be worth giving them a call (0509-20336).
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your help.

The type of bird that would be ideal for the scene would be a Thrush, or Wren or even Swallow. Heres a website that shows the size of specie we're looking for. http://www1.nhl.nl/~ribot/english/indexpl7.htm

Can these types of birds be trained?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Swallows are almost gone and emigrated now I doubt any (eg injured ones unable to be returned to the wild) are kept.
    Wrens are tiny and Thrushes are pretty flighty.
    One of the easier native wild birds to train would be a crow or raven etc. they have often be found be people and they imprint quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GMI

You haven't much of a hope with those type of birds. The best birds to train are hawks and falcons. The smallest of these you will find in Ireland is the kestrel. Contact Eagles Flying in Sligo. http://www.eaglesflying.com/

Lothar, the owner is a pure Genius and has trained kestrels. I can fly a Harris Hawk for you if thats any use to you, but I think she'll be too big. Lothar is your best bet. Best falconer in Ireland.

Gunter
    Hi all,

This may seem like a peculiar request, but I need help in finding a bird wrangler with a trained bird, who may be interested in taking part in a scene of a movie being shot later this month in Co. Monaghan.

By any chance would anyone on this board be able to point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate your help.

For more detailed information please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Paddy Slattery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

GMI is he the one with the lovely Bald Eagle. If so seen him with the Eagle along with a Eagle owl, his birds seem so relaxed no fluffed up feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

For trained birds check out Woodlands Falconry.
    They have a huge selection of birds and may have something to suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GMI

golden wrote: »
    GMI is he the one with the lovely Bald Eagle. If so seen him with the Eagle along with a Eagle owl, his birds seem so relaxed no fluffed up feathers.

Yeah he has all types of eagles, Golden Eagles, Bald Eagles, African TAwny EAgles, Himilayan Vultures, Peregrine Falcons, Eagle Owls and all sorts more. but for the benefit of the OP, he also has tiny little kestrels, merlins and sparrowhawks.

Gunter

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dwsl280

I have a hand reared Peach faced lovebird, she will fly to you and sit on your shoulder and head. She is very tame!! Don't know if this is of any use or what you are looking for.

Hi again,

dwsl280 Would I be able to email or call you personally? We begin shooting next Friday 23rd so unfortunately time isnt on our side, but I'd love to discuss this situation further with you. My email address is films@paddyslattery.com

Thanks everyone for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Paddy

Advertisement