Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation - Derry City - Halloween night

• 08-10-2009 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to find accomdation in Derry City for Hallowe'en night...but everything seems to be booked out, except for the Tower Hotel...which is asking for €160 for a double room for the night :(

Does anyone know of any cheaper options with availability for 31st Oct?

Thanks!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Derry and halloween go together like new orleans and mardi gras so you would be lucky to get something cheap now

You could try best western white horse its 6 miles out of derry so would be a taxi job with the journey bein $15 quid each way (be warned taxis on halloween night think gold dust in a unicorns arsé)

You know what, thinkin bout it if you got a place further out between taxi fares and stuff you might as well stay in the tower, its bang in the centre of the town so you can walk/drunkenly stumble your way back to your bed :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

You could try the Frontier hotel, which is in Bridgend, Donegal, just over the border. Failing that there's a few more further on out into Buncrana and Burt. Taxis would cost about £15 to Buncrana but are probably going to be more expensive on Halloween. Have you tried B&Bs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Thanks for the replies!

I never realised Halloween was such a big event there. I'd heard it was good fun etc...but didn't even think everywhere would be booked out etc. Doh!
    It's kinda making me want to go even more though. Might splash out on the Tower Hotel me thinks.

So...what can I expect? Are the pubs completely packed, and everyone dressed up? Drinking on the streets, like Galway during race week?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Thanks for the replies!

I never realised Halloween was such a big event there. I'd heard it was good fun etc...but didn't even think everywhere would be booked out etc. Doh!
    It's kinda making me want to go even more though. Might splash out on the Tower Hotel me thinks.

So...what can I expect? Are the pubs completely packed, and everyone dressed up? Drinking on the streets, like Galway during race week?

Thanks! :)

YES!!! :)

Oh and a HUGE fireworks display that has put derry city council into debt more then once :D

One piece of advice book the tower NOW to avoid disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

Everything you need to know should be on here.
    Extra piece of advice - You'll look out of place if you're not dressed up so get into the spirit and enjoy!!!

http://www.derrycity.gov.uk/Halloween/accommodation.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Definitely dress up as there'll be very few people who haven't and if possible wear a warm costume as it gets cold standing around waiting on the fireworks.

The pubs will be packed yes but in the past few years they've not let them overfill too much as I think the cops have been making sure max capacity isn't breached.

You can't really drink on the streets as the council and police have been trying to make the festival as child friendly as possible. There will be an alcohol free zone where all the outdoor entertainment is going on. In saying that though if you are on Waterloo street you should be able to drink there as there's always a crowd of people from the pubs out smoking and drinking so nothing stopping you getting a few cans and joining them before headin into the pub.

Advertisement