Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended TV, Film etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyone remember that Land Before Time knock off show called Dink The Little Dinosaur?

They've got a long necked protagonist (like Littlefoot), his female friend/rival (Cera), a flying guy (Petri) and even a loveable old grump (Old Rooter).

I guess its no worse than the LBT sequels...
    Heck they even have a knock off of Chomper! :p

Waitaminute... Green Meadow... Great Valley? Ah come now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Based on Ramiro Flaky Hoe's reccomendation I picked up Loch ness Terror on DVD for €7.

Quite a fun little romp I must admit. :)
    ive heard of that movie (in cryptozoology circles) and heard its kinda good :)

speaking of kids tv, anyone remember "cadillacs and dinosaurs"?

Nerin wrote: »
    ive heard of that movie (in cryptozoology circles) and heard its kinda good :)

speaking of kids tv, anyone remember "cadillacs and dinosaurs"?

Most awesome show of all time.

People keep asking me how the T.rex gets into the building at the end of JP1. Hopefully this will make them stop.

8.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

People keep asking me how the T.rex gets into the building at the end of JP1. Hopefully this will make them stop.

8.JPG

???

• Advertisement

???

It walked in through the big opening at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I still have a baseball cap that I got from the original Jurassic Park showing in UCI tallaght way back when. I wore the thing for a year solid I think!

Shame it isn't going to be made. I particularly like the idea of a post-apocalyptic/dystopian film with dinos in it. Proper dinos though, no tomfoolery with GM soldier dinos prz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

God I love Jurassic Park! I literally went to see it about ten times in the cinema with my dad and collected on the dinosaurs from weetabix and anything else I could get my hands on...still would love to dig up dinos!

The first one is perfect and strangely enough the special effects are far superior to the later ones even though technology had obviously moved on a bit! When the t-rex first breaks through the fence is still so real looking and scary!:D

Jurassic Park is on the Sci-Fi Channel right now.
    About half way through though.

You can now pick up the full series of Dinosaur Planet on DVD in Tower Records (O' Connell St, above Eason) for €12

1861.jpg

• Advertisement

To coincide with their Mega Beasts show (whic will air as part of 'Dinosaur December'), the Discovery Channel have created a quiz to test our knowledge on prehistoric monsters.
    Suffice to say, I aced it :cool: Now, if only this were a topic in school.

Give it a go yourself!
    http://dsc.discovery.com/games-quizzes/mega-beasts/

Mega_2.jpg
    Titanis faces off aginst a pack of wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

100% Great Job!

Your knowledge of ancient predators will serve you well if we can ever get that time machine to work.

Not that hard a quiz if even I can ace it first time. :p

I saw an ad on Nat Geo Wild saying the show (called Prehistoric Predators here) is on weeknights at 9pm (curiously the text said 7pm when the voiceover said 9 :confused:).

The ad featured clips from the 'Terror bird' and Mosasaur episodes which premired as a special sneak peek in America on September 13th. The rest of the show is not set to be screened in America until December.

You can see it tonight from 6pm (four whole episodes!). Listings on Nat Geo wild's UK website, plus video episode intros, pictures and more!

Also on Nat Geo Wild yesterday there was a programme called Weirdest Dinosaurs. Very good once off hour long doc about a variety of weird and wonderful dinos (including fairly new ones such as Gigantoraptor and raptorex) with some nice CGI and lots of palaeontologists arguig about what various dinosaur bits n' bobs were for.
    My only gripe was the lack of Therizinosaurus, probably the weirdest dinosaur of them all.

Also on Nat Geo Wild yesterday there was a programme called Weirdest Dinosaurs. Very good once off hour long doc about a variety of weird and wonderful dinos (including fairly new ones such as Gigantoraptor and raptorex) with some nice CGI and lots of palaeontologists arguig about what various dinosaur bits n' bobs were for.
    My only gripe was the lack of Therizinosaurus, probably the weirdest dinosaur of them all.

Here's the (American - it's called Bizarre Dinosaurs over there) website. Includes video, pics and puzzles.

THere is also another programme called Dinosaurs Decoded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Forgot about this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

not sure if its been posted already but oh christ this is epic!

Finding Ardi will be shown on the Discovery Channel on Sunday at 9pm

Want to know more about Ardipithecus now? Click http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055699077

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Here's another recent edition of Radio 4's In Our Time.

Two weeks ago the programme covered the geology of Britain & Ireland, telling the story of how so much geological history got crammed into so small a place. Downloadable here.

Harry Knowels of Aint It Cool News had an interview with Joe Johnston (diector of Jurassic Park ///). They mostly discussed the upcoming Wolfman film. However hints were dropped about a new Jurassic Park film. So, here is the Jurassic park related stuff:
    Harry: With JURASSIC PARK, the reason that the first one still holds up so well is because of the exact right mixture of the physical as well as the digital and there are some times when the audience isn’t quite sure when they are looking at a Stan [Winston] thing and when they are looking at a Dennis [Muren] thing, which is fun.

Joe Johnston: It is and that happened right at that horizon. I’m sure you know, Phil Tippet was preparing all of the puppets to the…

Harry: Yeah, the go-motion stuff.

Joe Johnston: I’m sure that would have been amazing in itself.

Harry: It would have been the last great stop motion/live action film. Instead, we had the first great CG Live Action film.

Joe Johnston: That’s very true.

Harry: Speaking of JURASSIC PARK, are you thinking of heading into that fourth one after this?

Joe Johnston: Well, there is a great story for the fourth one that I would be interested in getting involved with and it’s nothing like the first three. It sort of takes the franchise off in a completely different direction, which is the only way I would want to get involved.

Harry: Another movie about a group of people struggling to survive a dinosaur attack is…

Joe Johnston: We’ve done that and it’s been done three times and I figure it’s…

Harry: Stay away from that island. Don’t go there!

Joe Johnston: Why would anybody go back to that island? It was hard enough to figure out the second and third reason for them to go, but it would take it off in a whole other trilogy basically, but when it gets to that level it’s sort of about studios and Steven’s thing and who knows. I think we are at that point where we are due for another one if we are going to do it. They had what four years between them? 1992… 1996 or 1997, and then 2001, so we are past due. I don’t know, but we will see.

Full interview here:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42999

jurassic_park_4__3_.jpg
    Please note, poster is fan made
    (will probably merge with film/Tv thread at a later date :))

• Advertisement

I hope he does not mean the weapon wielding super soldier raptor version that was meant to have been discussed with a script written for it.

If they want to make a big budget sci fi Dino movie, then they can go make Dino Crisis 3 into a big budget flick for me. :D

While I do think there is potential for a film about David Boreanaz leading a crack team of genetially modified super-intelligent Deinonychus, I think it's perhaps a bit too far removed from the essence of Jurassic Park to belong in the franchise.

While I do think there is potential for a film about David Boreanaz leading a crack team of genetially modified super-intelligent Deinonychus, I think it's perhaps a bit too far removed from the essence of Jurassic Park to belong in the franchise.

Too far removed full stop.

Seeley Booth with a team of dinos who have guns?

Computer says NO!

If they want a sci fi dino flick, then DinoCrisis 3 is the way to go. You may notice a recurring pattern on this one with me. :D

Dinocroc, a creature so terrifying it can roar under water!

Dinocroc, a creature so terrifying it can roar under water!

That looks so bad that I have to see it. :D

I just heard that Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs has been shortlisted for the best animated feature award at the Academy Awards (Oscars).

ice-age-3.jpg

Some pretty cool clips from Animal Armageddon on Animal Planet's Youtube channel.

(double click on it to see more clips)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Amazon have some great deals on Natural History Box sets at the moment.

Walking with Dinosaurs £4.58

Walking with Beasts £7.98

Walking with Monsters £4.97

Loads of other stuff available for under a tenner as well.

Shameless branding (in the wake of the blockbuster movie Clash of the Titans) aside, this show looks pretty good. A look inside dinosaur anatomy based on the latest research.
    A new four-part miniseries on the Discovery Channel peels back the millennia and the skin, revealing a never before seen look at the birth and death of dinosaurs.

Researchers have made incredible leaps in the last year or two, learning previously unknown details about how the giant creatures were born, smelled, thought, acted and more. This Sunday at 8 p.m., a new series captures those advances like never before.

"Dinosaur science really evolves on an annular basis. So much changes year after year," explains "Clash of the Dinosaurs" executive producer Bill Howard to FoxNews.com in an exclusive interview.

"The series sets out to gather the sum total of today's paleontology and scientific knowledge about dinosaurs, letting viewers see what these creatures were like as animals, not prehistoric monsters."

Read all about it here.
    Clashofthedinosaurs7_slideshow_604x500.jpg
    Clashofthedinosaurs2_slideshow_604x500.jpg
    Slideshow preview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No sign on Discovery UK listings yet that I can see, but I seem to remember having to wait a few weeks (impatiently) for Neanderthal Code as well last year.

Advertisement