Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Brands No Longer With Us

Options
  • 30-09-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

It is amazing how quickly things change. Today Ireland is awash with international brands that shape the way we live. Back in the post war years many of the brands were of Irish manufacture. Anyone care to share a few memories of times past?

I will kick start this by mentioning Blackthorn football boots from Dundalk, Castlebrand cookware from Nenagh and Solus lightbulbs from Bray. Anyone else what to contribute to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Solus still exist don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

You may be right but they aren't making lightbulbs to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

the immediate from dublin.
    they only had 1 album before they broke up in 07 but it is pure class
    amazing live too
    i was lucky to see them twice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

smilerf wrote: »
    the immediate from dublin.
    they only had 1 album before they broke up in 07 but it is pure class
    amazing live too
    i was lucky to see them twice

have another cup of coffee, its bRands not bands :)
    waterford crystal anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Think he said bRands not bands lol, sparkles ice pops know hb still do ice creams but the sugar ones i miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

haha specsavers here i come!!

Nice one. Perhaps he has had a long day! Indeed yes Waterford Crystal. Arklow Pottery come to that (before it was owned by the Japanese). We also had several carpet brands - Navan and Youghal for example. Carrolls cigarettes too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Maguire and paterson the matchmakers, and no they weren't a dating agency..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

pear sparkles were the best

M&P used to manufacture around Smithfield somewhere. They were absorbed into Swedish Match who switched manufacturing abroad. The major M&P braqnds like Care, Friendly Match and Bo Peep are still around and were acquired by Belfast based SHS Group that also own a stack of food and drink brands like Shloer and WKP. Sadly there is no match manufacturing at all in either Ireland or GB but at least the brands are still around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Are we including international brands manufactured in Ireland?

If so. iirc, Kelloggs up till the 80's. I prefered them then too.

Frankly I was thinking only of locally grown brands that were designed and manufactured in Ireland. Think of names like Urney, Cleeves, Findlaters, Foxford Rugs, Blarney Yarns, Crannock Furniture, Rosses Tonic Water etc and you will seek what I am driving at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Bolands biscuits

Excellent example. They were absorbed into Irish busicuits as a joint venture with Jacobs who ultimately bought them out. Sadly the Bolands name is long gone. Remember the Billy Boland bars/biscuits? They were a bit like Penguins.

Anyone remember Greenhills towels and tableware. Our house was full of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Did you mean 'Cara' matches Scribbler?
    Does Shield soap still exist? It was lovely. Remember Lifebuoy soap? My uncle used to use it. My cousin found a piece of it on the worktop once, thought it was a piece of corned beef and popped it into her mouth:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

It is amazing how quickly things change. Today Ireland is awash with international brands that shape the way we live. Back in the post war years many of the brands were of Irish manufacture. Anyone care to share a few memories of times past?

I will kick start this by mentioning Blackthorn football boots from Dundalk, Castlebrand cookware from Nenagh and Solus lightbulbs from Bray. Anyone else what to contribute to this?

blackthorn manufactured the armies boots up until a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Yellowpack (quinnsworth)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

H Williams the supermarket - was bought by Albert Gubay who in turn was bought by Quinnsworth....who in turn was bought by Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Swastika laundry. If we include bakeries I'm thinking of Kennedys and Butterkrust. Great thread BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Irish 'Leaf' sweet company? I know there's an international one, but isn't that different?

I miss golf ball shaped chewing gums.. [retro sniff]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The copy books in Irish schools (the ones with a footballer, hurler, rugby player, etc) on the front. Did Aisling make those as well?

560037345_debfd60d58.jpg

Ann22, you are quite right I meant Cara. I'm all thumbs today

Vaktarman, RUU & Amalgam brilliant contrubutions. Downes Butterkrust I remember that very well and the Aisling copy books, now that does take me back. Browne & Nolan also used to do those copy books that were designed help improve one's writing. They used to carry public service messages on the back covers (like washing hands etc) and had conversion tables printed on the rear covers sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

gipi wrote: »
    H Williams the supermarket - was bought by Albert Gubay who in turn was bought by Quinnsworth....who in turn was bought by Tesco!

No, Gubay had "3 Guys" which was bought by Quinnworth.

When H Williams went, it was bought by some invester (Pascal something) the biggest 3 or 4 stores went to Quinnsworth, the rest went to Musgraves and became SuperValu...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

K.V.I.

No, Gubay had "3 Guys" which was bought by Quinnworth.

When H Williams went, it was bought by some invester (Pascal something) the biggest 3 or 4 stores went to Quinnsworth, the rest went to Musgraves and became SuperValu...

People tend to think the 'pallet' retail idea was a Lidl or Aldi creation. 3 Guys out in Ballybrack had it.. it was like walking into a barn, untiled floors and a corrugated roof.. stock straight from a pallet. It's a Tesco now.

McKennas Electrical. They had one of their well known branches out in Deansgrange, South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Phoenix Ale

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You may be right but they aren't making lightbulbs to my knowledge

http://www.solus.ie/products.htm

Advertisement