Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NO 66% Yes 34% - Newstalk Poll Today, NO Victory in School debate!

• 29-09-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Newstalk had their listeners vote on Lisbon today on the Tom Dunne show. The NO side won with a resounding 66% victory over 34% for the yes.

This shows how the propoganda rags either hand pick their voters to back their agenda or quite simply make it up entirely to support their agenda. Of course this is my opinion.

What is NOT my opinion is the fact that the NO side is way ahead according to the Newstalk poll. Great news.

NO 66%
    Yes 34%

Vote NO to Lisbon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Congratulations to the NO side on winning a text-in poll on a radio station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So this was a self-selecting poll? If it was its worse than useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

Its better than the cowardly yes side winning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

One poll of listeners to the Tom Dunne show invalidates all others? :confused:

mike65 wrote: »
    So this was a self-selecting poll? If it was its worse than useless.

Why, because the indo and red C polls SELECT their voters based on their agenda?

The Red C and Mrbi were totally embarrasingly wrong last year with their propoganda in favor of the yes, but we all know how they turned out.

Newstalk & B.IE polls were in favour of a NO and be gorra the NO won.

Vote NO and leave the cowards to cop on for a while.!

• Advertisement

Toiletroll wrote: »
    Why, because the indo and red C polls SELECT their voters based on their agenda?

Since they selected people randomly their agenda seems to be to get as accurate a result as possible. Those bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I wonder how much it cost to text in and just how much Newstalk are the actual winners of this pole :)

A text in poll is in no way any sort of accurate representation of anything, nor is an online poll as both are not controlled and open to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think that was more a reflection on the speakers than a victory for the No side tbh. It was an excellent idea to have two secondary school students on debating and both of them were convincing.
    I definatly would not have the courage to have gone on national radio and been that articulate at their age. It was refreshing to hear new voices instead of the same old faces droning on.

The young man on the No side was absolutely superb though. He had an answer for everything and spoke passionatly and clearly. He really was like a young Declan Ganley.

Tom Dunne was seething at the No's victory, was quite funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Polls are notoriously way off the mark in ireland.
    The small pools of people who's opinions are used rarely represent the feeling of the majoirty of people.
    The like of Red C and MRBI have been showing huge support fro Lisbon in their polls, but they could well be garnering the opinions of the mionority in these particualr polls.
    The only opinion poll that counts in the referendum vote on Friday, the rest are just pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Glazers Out!

The Red C and Mrbi were totally embarrasingly wrong last year with their propoganda in favor of the yes, but we all know how they turned out.

Newstalk & B.IE polls were in favour of a NO and be gorra the NO won.

:rolleyes:
    No because the vote was who won the secondry schools debate that they had on air at 10 o'clock. Not how people would vote in the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

panda100 wrote: »
    I think that was more a reflection on the speakers than a victory for the No side tbh. It was an excellent to have two secondary school students on debating and both of them were excellent.
    I definatly would not have the courage to have gone on national radio and been that articulate at their age. It was refreshing to hear new voices instead of the same old faces droning on.

The young man on the No side was absolutely superb. He had an answer for everything and spoke passionatly and clearly. He really was like a young Declan Ganley.

Tom Dunne was seething at the No's victory, was quite funny :)

I'm sorry I missed that.
    Tome Dunne's attitude to Lisbon is "Ah come on now, we learned our lesson last time, we have to behave ourselves and vote Yes like good little children".
    I can't stand him and I'm glad he was pissed off the condescending plonker.

Glazers Out!

Eh the last Irish Times poll before the 2008 vote had the NO side 5% ahead of the Yes.

But you are right to happy about this. It is the biggest boost the NO campagin have had in 2 weeks. It indicates to me just how desperate the NO side must be for 'good' news. As the days past I am getting more and more confident of a Yes vote. The No campaign has been a mess this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm sorry I missed that.
    Tome Dunne's attitude to Lisbon is "Ah come on now, we learned our lesson last time, we have to behave ourselves and vote Yes like good little children".

Is the text in between the "..." an actual quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ronoc wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    No because the vote was who won the secondry schools debate that they had on air at 10 o'clock. Not how people would vote in the poll.

Toiletroll in misleading OP shocker...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Will there be a podcast of the debate?....would love to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

This shows how the propoganda rags either hand pick their voters to back their agenda or quite simply make it up entirely to support their agenda. Of course this is my opinion.

What is NOT my opinion is the fact that the NO side is way ahead according to the Newstalk poll. Great news.

More delusion from the No side - its a phone in poll on a magazine show. Would you cop on, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

congratulations to the NO side

lets celebrate

:D

I'm sorry I missed that.

Would it change your opinion if I told you he's voting no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Newstalk had their listeners vote on Lisbon today on the Tom Dunne show. The NO side won with a resounding 66% victory over 34% for the yes.

NO 66%
    Yes 34%

Vote NO to Lisbon.

Great. What next? A phone-in on the Afternoon Show speaking for us all? Or how about a pop-quiz (60 seconds of course) and the winner gets their view on Treaty passed?

Ffs . . . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think Tom Dunne said it would be up on youtube. Seriously check it out for that new debating prodigy. They were both under 18 so neither of them can vote.
    As a No voter I would have voted Yes on the Newstalk poll If the girl had convinced me. She still did very well though.

• Advertisement

Justind wrote: »
    Great. What next? A phone-in on the Afternoon Show speaking for us all? Or how about a pop-quiz (60 seconds of course) and the winner gets their view on Treaty passed?

Ffs . . . :rolleyes:

Its as least as good as generation YESmen

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very difficult to run an accurate poll on a contributory medium such over text over web sites because the results can so very easily be weighted by a small number of militant individuals. The BBC poll a couple of years ago demonstrated this perfectly.

From what I remember, the last boards poll (in 2008) showed much bigger support for No than actually appeared in the referendum.

On top of that, in most national decisions, one side tends to "care" more than the other and take part in the discussion more actively than the other. In this case, you can see by a long shot that even the results of the boards.ie poll don't accurately reflect the volume of opinions being put forward by the No side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Polls are notoriously way off the mark in ireland.
    The small pools of people who's opinions are used rarely represent the feeling of the majoirty of people.
    The like of Red C and MRBI have been showing huge support fro Lisbon in their polls, but they could well be garnering the opinions of the mionority in these particualr polls.

It is possible that RedC and MRBI polls give a false impression, and if you understand the technicalities, you can know how likely that is. Journalists generally do not foreground those qualifications, because they do not make for easy reading. But it can come down to something like "57% For" means "We are 95% sure that the proportion in favour at the time the question was asked was between 54% and 60%". You could do other computations, and perhaps report "We are 99% sure that the proportion in favour at the time the question was asked was between 51.5% and 62.4%."

No self-selected sample can be measured in that manner.
    The only opinion poll that counts in the referendum vote on Friday, the rest are just pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Largely pointless. They can influence outcomes in some ways -- energising campaigners, creating bandwagon effects, motivating people who might not otherwise bother to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

Its as least as good as generation YESmen

What? That doesn't even make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

dvpower wrote: »
    More delusion from the No side - its a phone in poll on a magazine show. Would you cop on, ffs.

It's also, apparently, on the results of a secondary school debate, not the Treaty.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It's also, apparently, on the results of a secondary school debate, not the Treaty.

amused,
    Scofflaw

In that case can you change the thread title to reflect it?

Cant have him gloating for too long now :)

• 100% of the people who respond to polls on daytime radio, or ring shows like Joe Duffy's, are freaks, losers and nutjobs.

100% of the people who respond to polls on daytime radio, or ring shows like Joe Duffy's, are freaks, losers and nutjobs.

Yes but the survey you are quoting there was a text in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

100% of the people who respond to polls on daytime radio, or ring shows like Joe Duffy's, are freaks, losers and nutjobs.

I disagree, 99% is far more accurate, 1% must be left for those who the freaks and nutjobs are accusing to come on and tell everyone what actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Ok this is off topic but I just wanted to check, are you labeling all Yes voters as cowards or just those actively campaigning? (ie FF and other parties) And what makes them cowards?

Advertisement