Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Article] Furore over €90,000 pig artwork on N2

• 26-09-2009 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

AT A time of financial cutbacks, plans to spend €90,000 on a piece of artwork featuring a flying pig has caused a row in Co Monaghan.
    The idea was inspired by the legend of a black pig which was supposed to exist in early times in the waters of Lough Muckno, near Castleblayney. Some €90,000 has been earmarked from an arts budget of €170,000 to commemorate the pig legend – and the area’s association with pig farming – in a statue of a flying pig which it is proposed to set up beside the N2 Dublin to Derry road.
    Monaghan County Council has claimed if the money is not spent on the artwork, it will revert to the central exchequer. It said it had €170,000 to spend for artwork relating to the building of two new bypasses on the N2.
    However, Fine Gael councillor Hugh McElvaney, who is national chairman of the Local Authority Members Association, said: “This expenditure is disgraceful at a time when the council hasn’t sufficient money to undertake all the road improvements that are necessary in the area.”
    Fianna Fáil councillor Robbie Gallagher added: “The take-it-or-leave-it attitude of the NRA [National Roads Authority] is very disappointing in the present climate, but rather than lose the money we may as well use it.”
    An Irish Farmers’ Association spokesman in Co Monaghan said yesterday: “ This is a disgraceful waste of public money at a time when the local authorities are finding it impossible to get all the funds they need for road maintenance.” Some farmers, he added, were still awaiting payment for tracts of land acquired by the local authority for road schemes in the county.
    Originally set up by the Office of Public Works in 1978 and extended to all government departments in 1997, up to 1 per cent of the cost of building projects, or a maximum of €64,000, may be incorporated in the overall cost.
    Additional funding may be included from private sponsorship or other sources of arts funding. The scheme is administered by the Department of Tourism.
    Under the terms of the “Per Cent for Art Scheme”, through which major construction projects may include funding for works of art, a number of striking works have been placed beside many of the State’s newer motorways.
    The scheme has also resulted in a range of works of art in public spaces such as the depiction Sisters by John Kindness (featuring Michelle and Yvonne Dunne) in the Civic Centre, Ballymun. Also covered is performance art including music such as The Whisper of Ghosts (2004) by composer Elaine Agnew, which was commissioned by Wexford County Council.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0926/1224255282024.html
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its specifically allocated to artwork and can't be spent on anything else, so they may as well stop whimpering and take their pig.

At least a sculpture of a pig is better than what we got for the Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock bypass back in the 1990s - some fake "dressed stone" work with wooden beams designed to look a little like Maynooth Castle! And its nowhere near the bypass anyway - widening the road in to Maynooth town from the motorway was part of the contract so the artwork and plaque were put in Maynooth's square.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

motorway art can also has a safety aspect...particularly at night...stimulating the mind on long drives...depending how its done that flying pig might save someone's life...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This pretty much sums up what's wrong with our economy, the money has to be spent...wtf?
    why does it have to be, so what if it goes back to the exchequer.
    Terrible waste of money..... Surely they can build a pig for less than 90,000...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Terrible waste of money..... Surely they can build a pig for less than 90,000...

Try building one large enough to be seen from the road, and durable enough to last outdoors in Irish weather for 30+ years for much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

we need another bacon report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I for one salute our new flying pig overlords. The country is in a bad trough and we need pork the economy into life with these types of safe swine funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I'm not outright opposed to the concept behind the setting aside of some funds for associated art with infrastructure. However, perhaps suspending the scheme for a couple of years would be warranted? I would say though I'd prefer to see the money used for aesthetically pleasing pieces of work rather than objects used as some kind of convoluted artistic expression. I guess you can't exactly commission art to order, but surely not every work needs to have quite so little restraint on the artist?

I think roadside creations if done properly can rather than distract the driver, break up the monotony of the journey and provide points of reference to keep the journey moving along in the driver's perception. Some of the motorway alignment helps with this too of course (using landscape features) - and I think it's a positive feature of many of our motorways (there are more monotonous boring ones too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

This has to be a slash take

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I presume that this is the black pig of the Black Pigs Dyke.
    Its was Irelands version of Hadrians Wall, protecting Ulster from cattle raiders from the south and stretches from Dundalk the whole way to Leitrim.

To look at now it isnt massively impressive but sometime like 500BC it would have been a massive feat of engineering.
    No diggers, bulldozers etc and you build a 50 mile + defensive earthwork.

I think that deserves a statue whatever the state of the public finances!!
    A statue to honour one of irelands great achievements.

and to put it in comparison, 90k on a one off is not much compared to the recurent costs in the health system that amount to 13 BILLION a year (just so you can kip on a trolly in a hallway)
    For the health budget you could build 144,000 statues, there is that mush CASH disappearing in there yearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This is the classic Fianna Fail argument - 90,000 Euros is only a drop in the bucket, 50 million on e-voting machines ....and Rody Molloy's top-up of 1 million Euros ...'a few extra pound' quote Dermot Ahern. Put into context if your house was on fire would you spend money re-painting it as it burned? This sort of nonsense has to stop and now!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Enbee

I presume that this is the black pig of the Black Pigs Dyke.
    Its was Irelands version of Hadrians Wall, protecting Ulster from cattle raiders from the south and stretches from Dundalk the whole way to Leitrim.

To look at now it isnt massively impressive but sometime like 500BC it would have been a massive feat of engineering.
    No diggers, bulldozers etc and you build a 50 mile + defensive earthwork.

I think that deserves a statue whatever the state of the public finances!!
    A statue to honour one of irelands great achievements.

I hadn't heard of that but yes, it most certainly deserves to be commemorated by a monument - however bizarre that monument might be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

A pig?

wtf

surely they could think of something better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I just hope people are not making this national news.

It maybe a pig, but who cares. Seriously. If someone wants to put a pig there let them.

If it costs the folks a lot of money and time, then thats there pride or loss. Meanwhile we can laugh or praise them.

Advertisement