Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWII British Para Loadout

• 25-09-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭

Hey guys/girls,
    I was considering making a World War Two British Paratrooper loadout, I'm aware of the similarities between the WWII Loadout and the loadout the British had during The Troubles, which is the reason I'm asking on your opinions. If I did make the loadout and had it exactly right, would it be ok with you, or would you rather that I didn't make the loadout.

World War Two British Paratrooper Loadout, Yes/No? 37 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 37 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

ask yourself a few questions

do i want to take the time to do it right y/n

am i doing this loadout for attention y/n

do i have respect for my subject matter y/n

these are the minimal things i would say you need to consider, if the answer is no for any of this then i would find something else to do, some people could take your loadout the wrong way, but then again we run around in camp with replica firearms, you can find people that will find any aspect of airsoft offensive, British for the troubles, us loadouts because of Iraq, Russian due to Georgia, Israel due to the west bank, list goes on and on, but that is not a reason to not do it, just have respect for the subject matter and do it right :)

sorry a bit of a rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Puding wrote: »

these are the minimal things i would say you need to consider, if the answer is no for any of this then i would find something else to do, some people could take your loadout the wrong way, but then again we run around in camp with replica firearms, you can find people that will find any aspect of airsoft offensive, British for the troubles, us loadouts because of Iraq, Russian due to Georgia, Israel due to the west bank, list goes on and on, but that is not a reason to not do it, just have respect for the subject matter and do it right :)

sorry a bit of a rant

Awesome response, this is the way all loadouts should be considered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Puding wrote: »

sorry a bit of a rant

Thanks for that Puding, I want to get it right. The main reason I want to do it is because I love the loadout, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have respect for the soldiers who were British Paratroopers during the War.
    If people would rather I didn't do it, I won't. I just want to make sure that it would be accepted by people if I do it right.

Thanks for that Puding, I want to get it right. The main reason I want to do it is because I love the loadout, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have respect for the soldiers who were British Paratroopers during the War.
    If people would rather I didn't due it, I won't. I just want to make sure that it would be accepted by people if I do it right.

As i said some people will always have an issue, sometimes just for the sack of it, but some people take offense to airsoft in general, but this negativity should not stop you, reenactors/living history also suffer the same problems, but from your response i think you answered your own question :) as long as you have that respect and knowledge for your subject as i mentioned.

A correct impression is very very different to slapping on a set camo and a patch, doing an impression it the polar opposite to the competitive side of airsoft that has taken off in Ireland :) i hope you go ahead and help lead the way in this area of airsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You knock yourself out Leftyflip. Don't forget the putties!! :)

• Advertisement

iceage wrote: »
    Don't forget the putties!! :)
    I've heard of them and seen them, but can't figure out for the life of me what they are used for. Shameful I know.

Edit: Did a bit of research on them, I see that they go around your lower leg, what were they used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

as Puding says if your going to do a proper loadout from any period do your research then get it right then trawl the web finding the gear you need,
    as for people taking offence everybody has an opinion ,but nobody has the right to or power to stop you wearing or using a loadout,
    kudos to to the choice the para's are one of the most revered and respected units from WW II

They were the bane of British Soldiers lives, but in a bind had so many uses the list could go on for ages..

Get your pen and paper out, another one for you...Denison Smock.:)

PM'd you some info.

here have a look at these guys you should find most of what you need or ar looking for

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Lefty, my own main focus on a loadout when I started airsoft was a British Para Falklands setup - You really can't get any more N.I troubles than that :pac:

Never skirmished it as by the time I got it together I dislocated my knee. Now I've broken me leg. But one day, oh yes, one day soon...(And when I get my damn L1A1 fixed up)

One thing - British Para helmets are an expensive purchase. WW II ones even more so. So be warned!

Anyway, just go for it. Anyone who would be offended by such a thing really shouldn't be at an airsoft game. (Or anywhere near people at all to be honest)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Smokerkl

Go for it mate. I would do the Falklands though thats just me..
    S..

Grab a MkVI lid, cheap and cheerful cover it with ferns you'll get away with it, Maybe not. Only the likes of O1s1n would notice! The whole cherry beret root might be pushing it a bit..sure its an Airsoft loadout... how many para's are you going to run into...and if you did I'm sure they'd be proud of you when you explained why your wearing it.:cool:

I'm not going for the look of an officer, I want to keep the loadout as accurate as possible to a Private. I'm not even sure about rank slides/badges, I know they can cause a lot of controversy and I want to try and keep that to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Killinator

Go fot it, theres nothing like running around in a loadout you took time to get right,
    and lets face it, the positive attention you will recieve will far out-weight the negative,
    You need'nt be worried, If I can get away with a German Heer Infantry loadout, then you'll be fine, anyone who has a problem with it is not someone you need to be concerned about anyway (unless a surviving british ww2 para decides to take you to task:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Leftyflip wrote: »
    I'm not going for the look of an officer, I want to keep the loadout as accurate as possible to a Private. I'm not even sure about rank slides/badges, I know they can cause a lot of controversy and I want to try and keep that to a minimum.

This should help you: http://www.6th-airborne.org/ :)

Thanks for that mate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Thats the idea, Go for the lowest rank, Even with Vietnam stuff most people usually aim for some elite unit or some officer loadout, only to look out of place.
    Your gonna stand out in the airsoft field, but you should blend in, in the scenario. :)

So Richie, a custom Lee Enfield, how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

16-18% of new recruits to the British army in Northern Ireland last year were from the Republic, it's likely to be even higher this year. It's about time we collectively decided to get over the whole "troubles" thing, leave the past in the past and forget about all the bitterness and strife, it does no one any good.

/end hippie peace and love moment

I think a WWII para's loadout would be awesome, I've got a full German Heer uniform, and I'd like to see more WWII themed games. The paras are great choice for a uniform, break the mould of the band of brothers inspired US paratrooper loadout. Bring on the Arnhem milsim....

Spetzcong wrote: »
    16-18% of new recruits to the British army in Northern Ireland last year were from the Republic, it's likely to be even higher this year. It's about time we collectively decided to get over the whole "troubles" thing, leave the past in the past and forget about all the bitterness and strife, it does no one any good.

Thanks for that Spetz, I agree with your point and also feel that the Troubles should be left behind, but let's not turn this into a political thread.

If anyone happens to come across a decently priced Denison Smock, could they please post a link? It is one of the more expensive items on the list and would really appreciate if someone found one at a good price.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input up to this point and thank people for not turning it into a big political debate.

• Advertisement

speaking of spetz i recall his british loadout including sa 80 used at hrta totaly surreal moment ,
    one thing id love to see with the WW 2 loadouts is weathered uniforms ,some of the new reproductions just look to new and shiny , rather rough and worn

another good resource (you may have alreayd seen this but nice to get it out there again )

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/index.html

basic lodout http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/zoom/brit-airborne.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Spetzcong wrote: »

/end hippie peace and love moment

I think a WWII para's loadout would be awesome, I've got a full German Heer uniform, and I'd like to see more WWII themed games. The paras are great choice for a uniform, break the mould of the band of brothers inspired US paratrooper loadout. Bring on the Arnhem milsim....
    History only holds us back if we let it...

I'm currently finishing my waffen SS sniper loadout based around the normandy invasion period on the western front. I consider it historical... not political, I just find it amusingly ironic that I'm a jew also :P (Not all or us gets offended by the mere mention of germany)

The ww2 british para loadout is iconic... Market garden was, although a failure, a scene of much bravery and heroism, Let's remember that.

Firekitten wrote: »

I'm currently finishing my waffen SS sniper loadout based around the normandy invasion period on the western front.

Got any pictures Firekitten?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Thanks for that Rhino. Like yourself Lefty, I've had a WW2 para loadout in the works for quite some time; with various bits and bobs acquired thus far. It's unfortunately a very expensive load out to do because you either have original issue kit (expensive) or repro which is expensive because they know you have no real alternative.
    Firekitten wrote: »
    History only holds us back if we let it...

Indeed, context matters greatly. A ww2 para loadout is one thing, a para loadot is another thing. A NI para loadout whilst making references to shooting joyriders and civvies is quite another altogether ... common sense (alas missing often) should steer you right.
    The ww2 british para loadout is iconic... Market garden was, although a failure, a scene of much bravery and heroism, Let's remember that.

I've always wanted a para loadout based around Arnheim, so that's my template. Need a denison smock of course. And a bren in addition to my sten.l

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Got any pictures Firekitten?
    soon soon mein softer

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Domminn

WHAT PRICE GLORY
    http://onlinemilitaria.net
    201443714 British Army WWII Pattern Berets - Maroon (Para) 10 ½ inch diameter Price : €16.58

201465000 UK Parachute Regiment beret badge Price : €4.52

202318013 UK 1st Pattern Denison smock Reproduction of the early war Full zip smock issued 1942-44. Price : €101.72

201527003 UK P-37 Gaiters or Anklets Price : €11.30

203140000 UK Colt / Browning P-37 Magazine Pouch Price : €26.37

201119036 UK P-37 Battledress Para Trousers Price : €101.72

203946000 UK P-37 Medium Revolver Holster (Original) Price : €18.84

204176000 British Two-Color Small Mesh Helmet Net Price : €6.03

204279000 UK Leather Chinstrap for Mk I Para Helmet Price : €18.08

204738003 UK P-37 Web Equipment Belt Price : €18.84

International Military Antiques, Inc
    www.ima-usa.com

British Sten Gun Rear Pistol Grip: Commando WWII ABS2019 1 $21.95

British Sten MK5 Late Model Wood Foregrip: Special Forces BS2017 1 $24.95

British Sten/Sterling Gun Sling: Dated WWII BS2000 1 $29.95

British Sten Seven Pocket Magazine Bandolier ABS1032 1 $44.95

CUSHMAN CUSTOM CREATIONS
    ABS2019 Mk I Para Helmet (Plastic, save weight) $22.95

AGM British Sten MKII (Full Metal) + 7 Mags

This is the story so Far, But I want a Lt Cornish style loadout so i got some pips on order, as well as some old brown boots to finish the look. See the attached image, The Guy in the beret...

So I hope to see you all out on the field soon...

I've heard of them and seen them, but can't figure out for the life of me what they are used for. Shameful I know.

Edit: Did a bit of research on them, I see that they go around your lower leg, what were they used for?

Putties are for ankle support as the boots in ww2 where "Ammo Boots" and only ankle high, not high like the American Jump boots, though more commanly used by the Aussies, us brits mostly used Gaiters during ww2, the same as used by the Navy nowdays in Parade rig, (Though not white)

ww2 Rank slides are trouble as each area of the service had different cloth backings to the pips, ie Airbourne was a light oxford blue, but you can find this info out on the web, i want to do a LT ww2 Arneham loadout, but at 42 I think ill be told for a private, maybe i should be a major :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement