Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mount Leinster WARNING

Options
  • 22-09-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I dunno if this has been mentioned here before but some nice person has had a go at the cattlegrids on mount leinster. The two grids either side of the top have had bars removed using a blow torch. This is extremely dangerous to anybody on a bike or motorbike. The gardai were informed last tuesday but as we all, we may as well have sent smoke signals to mars!

Anyway be warned.

Img0287new.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Why would anyone do such a thing? What's to be gained or lost apart from ones' labour in using a blowtorch to remove the bars?
    Who's in charge of maintaining the cattle-grids? Carlow Co.Co. I presume?
    Is it one grid the Borris/Rathanna side & the other on Bunclody Side? Cos if it is, it'll probably take the two councils to get involved!
    Fair play for posting the warning & photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Crap. Thankfully that wasn't like that at the recent Barrow Wheelers sportif the Sunday before last. I damn near poo'd myself coming down there (not least because I crashed the last time I came down there).

Thanks for the heads up.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not saying for sure this is why, but have heard that those grids haven't got big enough gaps to actually prevent animals walking across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭emtroche

Who's in charge of maintaining the cattle-grids? Carlow Co.Co. I presume?
    Is it one grid the Borris/Rathanna side & the other on Bunclody Side? Cos if it is, it'll probably take the two councils to get involved!

Yeah it's on both sides. As far as i'm concerned this goes beyond the county council as it's a matter of public safety which has been caused by vandalism. There are horses loose on the mountain so maybe this was someones idea for keeping them there. If that was the case it didnt work.

We were stood there for a while the other day warning some of the riders in the race around ireland and beside the grid theres a big brown "Mount Leinster" sign. Somebody has spray painted the word Sex and a knob on it and it's also been blasted twice with a shotgun. This was in my same line of sight as i looked at the cattlegrid! Boggles the mind!

I know people say it'd be a great country if we could put a roof over it but i reckon it'd be much better if certain people just spontaneously combusted from time to time!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

copacetic wrote: »
    Not saying for sure this is why, but have heard that those grids haven't got big enough gaps to actually prevent animals walking across them.
    The fact they have removed alternate ones lends support to this - it may well have been some (clueless) local farmer having no consideration for the potential consequences to cyclists and bikers. I can't see how this could have been opportunist vandalism - someone has gone to some effort to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

a few meters of concrete and fill them in ,the sheep walk over them any way .

there a dangerous fecken thing ,to man and beast

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@emtroche, thanks for the heads up, I'd go up there now and again. I remember before the TOI one of them was shambles anyway, it's a pity since they sorted it out that some other cnut has done this.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

never been to the place; are these grids on steep downhill slopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Steep-ish if going down or up!
    I live near the area. Mary White or one of the local councillors (I only know the name of one off-hand!) might know something or be able to do something.
    Should I send an e-mail with a link to this post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Húrin wrote: »
    never been to the place; are these grids on steep downhill slopes?

not if your climbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭boomdocker

afaik the knackers have done it to keep the horses on the mountain

Advertisement