Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team of the year

• 16-09-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Who will win rte sports team of the year.It should be kilkenny but they will probably give it to the rugby team which will mean kilkenny will get no credit for doing the three and four in a row as munster rugby team won this award last year.

Rte team of the year 29 votes

Kilkenny
    0%
    Irish rugby team
    24%
    brettmirlLemlinadrian522LeoBistabraqsoccymonstersuitcasepink 7 votes
    Leinster rugby
    75%
    BigConnetwhizkidblackbeltpanda100Nalced_irlthegenmodmuffins_carnagehollywoodhoppyBenny CakePride FightertomdadudeAn Citeogpremierstonewill1977lucyluTomthepostseligehgitDonkeyPokerToursoundsham 22 votes
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Irish rugby team
    Not sure about getting no credit...they've gotten plenty of credit...they don't need this silly award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭istabraq

Irish rugby team
    True they have got plenty of credit recognition is what i meant to say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Leinster rugby
    First grand slam in 61 years, it is extremely obvious who it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

team of the year DUBLIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Leinster rugby
    Irish Rugby team without a shadow of a doubt, if Kerry win this week then they will be the GAA team of the year considering the battle that has ensued to get to where we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Leinster rugby
    would be nice to see cork camogie (and/or ladies football) being recognised as they are in some amount of finals in a row 8 and winning 5,also 10 league's since '95,and the fooballers going for 5 ai's in a row.

with the men in the football too, no doubting who senior gaa county of the year is.....
    3 finals out of 4.

Corcaigh Abu,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

IMO the Irish Rugby team will walk it.

Cats can feel unlucky no doubt as will Cork Ladies if they win Sunday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Leinster rugby
    Irish rugby team without a doubt although I would like to see the Dublin ladies football team be on the shortlist if they were to oust Cork from their perch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Leinster rugby
    This is so bloody obvious that this must be a contender for worst thread of the year.
    All this proves (at time of voting) is that 5 Kilkenny people have visited this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Clare U21 team are surely the GAA team of the year`.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Leinster rugby
    soundsham wrote: »
    would be nice to see cork camogie (and/or ladies football) being recognised as they are in some amount of finals in a row 8 and winning 5,also 10 league's since '95,and the fooballers going for 5 ai's in a row.

Has a womens team ever won team of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Leinster rugby
    panda100 wrote: »
    Has a womens team ever won team of the year?

Italia '90 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Leinster rugby
    Italia '90 :D
    Lol, you referring to the slightly manly group we sent to Italy? Patricia Bonner and the crew? :D To be honest, i think the team of the year thing is more to recognise a great achievement than how good a team is in their field. Both KK and the Irish Rugby team did achieve something huge but i do theink the Rugby guys just clinch it. Sure they both needed help, KK needed the ref, The Rugby lads needed Jones to bottle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭istabraq

Irish rugby team
    Kilkenny have done something that will never ever be done again and they are amateur players also.I doubt deise girl is from kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Leinster rugby
    what ? are you well ? why will it not ever be done again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Irish rugby team
    Tomthepost wrote: »
    This is so bloody obvious that this must be a contender for worst thread of the year.
    All this proves (at time of voting) is that 5 Kilkenny people have visited this thread.

And the GUUUYS from Nure, Rock, Wesley and Limeruck have heard about this thread also.

Seeing how this is a G.A.A thread the Professionals of Rugby should not be considered.

The G.A.A. man has only his public here and does it for the love of sport. With the Laaads he grew up with. While our Rugger Guuuys get plenty of accolades from the guuuys in the Bank

Has to be Kilkenny hurlers or Cork Camogie/football. Or maybe even Pearse Og who beat Crossmaglen Rangers in Armagh Championship last week breaking a championship winning streak going back to1996 on Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Leinster rugby
    If this is purely amateur and GAA Kerry easily walks this having made it into their 6th All-Ireland final in a row in a competitive All-Ireland championship where 33 "counties" London & NY compete also. Kilkenny basically get a free pass into All-Irelands and get gifted it then by referees, what Kilkenny has achived is nothing different to the likes of Crossmaglen in Armagh, hurling is a closed shop and the Kilkenny co. board refuses to promote Gaelic Football in the county in any meaningful way.

In Kerry we have the entire NW of the County and South East where Hurling is dominant and if Kerry focused squarely on Football like Kilkenny does Hurling we would be much stronger. The vast vast majority of rugby and soccer in Ireland is amateur and to say that the likes of Kilkenny are the team of the year is the biggest load of baloney ever. It is like saying the World Series of baseball is a world wide competition, when in reality it is Canada and the US and few fanatical Japanese!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Leinster rugby
    netwhizkid wrote: »
    If this is purely amateur and GAA Kerry easily walks this having made it into their 6th All-Ireland final in a row in a competitive All-Ireland championship where 33 "counties" London & NY compete also. Kilkenny basically get a free pass into All-Irelands and get gifted it then by referees, what Kilkenny has achived is nothing different to the likes of Crossmaglen in Armagh, hurling is a closed shop and the Kilkenny co. board refuses to promote Gaelic Football in the county in any meaningful way.

In Kerry we have the entire NW of the County and South East where Hurling is dominant and if Kerry focused squarely on Football like Kilkenny does Hurling we would be much stronger. The vast vast majority of rugby and soccer in Ireland is amateur and to say that the likes of Kilkenny are the team of the year is the biggest load of baloney ever. It is like saying the World Series of baseball is a world wide competition, when in reality it is Canada and the US and few fanatical Japanese!

I know you are from Kerry but dude get a grip.Kerry have been playing sh1te all championship bar the Dublin game and have won no silverware yet apart from the league.In GAA circles my vote would have to go to Kilkenny senior hurlers or Clare u-21s.The Cork or Dublin ladies would also have to be a consideration.Also Kilmacud Crokes did get through a very hard Dublin SFC,Leinster Club SFC and beat Crossmaglen in the final.They also beat Kerry in a challenge match in Limerick.I'm not from Kilmacud but I saw St Vincents (my club) win the All Ireland and it was out of this World.Winning the Andy Merrigan Cup is a huge honour and feat and when you consider all the communities,parishes,villages,rural clubs and other cities with GAA clubs a plenty,winning the highest prize at club level is what every player strives to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Irish rugby team
    netwhizkid wrote: »

I really shouldn't entertain such gibberish but will because I'm in a pretty generous mood today, being Friday and all.

Firstly Kerry, easily walk this do they? 1 good performance in a year is enough to easily walk this? Struggle past the likes of Longford and Sligo and already beaten by Cork?

33 Counties compete, looking at this years championship you must have a fairly loose definition of competition is all I can say.

"Kilkenny basically get a free pass into All-Irelands" - Please do explain this comment, I'm sure its news to Tipperary, Cork, Limerick, Clare, Waterford, Galway, Wexford, Offaly, Dublin, Westmeath, Laois.

"n Kerry we have the entire NW of the County and South East where Hurling is dominant blah blah blah" What are you going to do force the hurling areas to play football? What do you expect Kilkenny to do, ban hurling in parts of the county and force people to play hurling? Theres only so much a county board can do to encourage people to play football. Almost every Kilkenny club fields football teams up to and including senior. Can this be said about Kerry hurling? Of course not.

Kerry have made to 6 all Ireland's in a row, well done. Kilkenny have been in 10 all irelands in 12 years and won 7 this decade.

This just sums up your ignorance "the likes of Kilkenny are the team of the year is the biggest load of baloney ever."

I always knew Kerry people were arrogant but this just takes the biscuit.
    Best of luck to Cork On Sunday, the only unbeaten team left in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Leinster rugby
    Seriously this thread is :rolleyes: - Jesus wept!!

I blame the couple of good days weather we had this is further proof that we just cant handle any sustained amount of heat ;)

• Advertisement

Irish rugby team
    Seriously this thread is :rolleyes: - Jesus wept!!

I blame the couple of good days weather we had this is further proof that we just cant handle any sustained amount of heat ;)

Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Will the rugger goys still get Team of the Year for their achievement in getting to the World Cup :-)

Dublin and Tipp just won some oul parish thing.

Barring that there must be a table tennis under 16 European squad or a dancing horse about?

Advertisement