Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DS9 - rewatching from the beginning

• 04-09-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭

Last week I bought all 7 series of DS9 on DVD for £50. A pretty decent bargain it has to be said. I had planned on buying the series at the start of the year but couldn't find series 1 or 2. I'm glad now that I waited.

I haven't watched any episodes of DS9 since it's original run on Sky One. It was always my favourite of the Star Trek series and my second favourite series of all time, behind The X-Files. I watched the pilot episode last night, Emissary, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it has aged. I'm looking forward to spending the next few months revisiting some of the best science fiction TV ever.

Anyone else re-qwatched this recently? Or opinions on DS9 at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its definately got more worthiness than Voyager, some thought and creativity was put into the episodes, mostly because it was the black sheep of the star trek family, berman and braga didn't have as much involvement so the writers were free to explore new avenues and put the fed philosophy under the microscope. However, whenever its on I tend to switch as nothing happens for long periods of time. I've viewed it through before but I wouldn't rewatch it much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Last week I bought all 7 series of DS9 on DVD for £50. A pretty decent bargain it has to be said. I had planned on buying the series at the start of the year but couldn't find series 1 or 2. I'm glad now that I waited.

I haven't watched any episodes of DS9 since it's original run on Sky One. It was always my favourite of the Star Trek series and my second favourite series of all time, behind The X-Files. I watched the pilot episode last night, Emissary, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it has aged. I'm looking forward to spending the next few months revisiting some of the best science fiction TV ever.

Oh man I envy you, not having seen them all and about to embark on what is the the joint best trek of them all. Ive seen them all quite a few times at this stage, and like yourself, I watch them from the start to the very end. Some seriously good entertainment about to be had by you....

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ronanc1

Yeah back in jan that new channel 3e started showing them from the start and i decided to watch them from the beginning but then they stopped half way through :(

I love trek to bits, but I could never contemplate watching it on tv...seeing it shredded with ads & combining that with a lack of continuity - just kills it for me. Dvd's ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Might I ask if we can all avail of this price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Almost finished series ones of DS9, iv never seen them before, i was always a star wars fan and for some reason i sub conconciously disliked Star trek haha. Then i was like....hold why do i not like it? so i gave it a chance and i love it!! My mate has all the series of DS9 so ill work through them. I cracked up on the episode when cisco is on the beach with his wife and he does that "wooooo" it was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I'd only ever seen the odd episode on Sky and thought it would be crap because it has little of the once off plots that Next Generation had. I obtained ;) all of DS9 though and watched them in one block and by God its a fantastic show. The Dominion War arc is brilliantly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Might I ask if we can all avail of this price?

I got them off a seller on ebay. They are the US Region 1 DVD sets from 2003. The region wasn't a concern for me as I bought my Macbook in the US so it is set to region 1 anyway.

They are all in perfect condition and I won the auction with the final price being £49 and change. I had bid from the start but someone outbid me with a minute to go but I managed to sneak back in with about 15 seconds to go. I guess I was just lucky to find all of these in such good condition and getting it for that price.

I got them off a seller on ebay. They are the US Region 1 DVD sets from 2003. The region wasn't a concern for me as I bought my Macbook in the US so it is set to region 1 anyway.

They are all in perfect condition and I won the auction with the final price being £49 and change. I had bid from the start but someone outbid me with a minute to go but I managed to sneak back in with about 15 seconds to go. I guess I was just lucky to find all of these in such good condition and getting it for that price.

Bid snipers :mad: hate em

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Easily my favourite series and I've re-watched it several times. I never tire of it. Well except for Avery Brooks and hyper-ventilating apparently equaling powerful acting.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »
    Easily my favourite series and I've re-watched it several times. I never tire of it. Well except for Avery Brooks and hyper-ventilating apparently equaling powerful acting.

Ive noticed that hyper-ventilation thing, it must be some technique he uses. He is a powerful presence on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Loved DS9 with TNG. Liked Voyager afterwards, but never got into Entrprise.

DS9 was great mainly because it had such well crafted characters, including sub-characters. The ferengi family, for example. The Quark/Odo relationship. Miles and Bashir's developing friendship through the series.

Never really enjoyed the Bajoran religious stories though. And the first episode was terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It would have been awesome if they went with the ending Behr wanted to do, but he was overruled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

It would have been awesome if they went with the ending Behr wanted to do, but he was overruled.

How did he plan to end it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

starn wrote: »
    So what was that alternate ending Behr had in mind for DS9? "Well, ultimately, I wanted it to be that it was all a construct in the mind of Benny Russell." In other words, it would have turned out that the 20th-century scenario of "Far Beyond the Stars" would have been the true reality of the show (sort of like the snowglobe ending of St. Elsewhere). "But there was no way in hell," he admitted. "The trouble with Deep Space Nine was, you weren't just one show, you were part of this whole continuum and you had to be careful what you did because it impacted on the trail of gold that they were following so strenuously and did not want to see disappear. At the same time I was always hearing, 'What would that mean for Voyager?'"
    Seriously wtf? That would have blown. Dallas...IN SPACE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Watched the first 6 seasons over the past 3 or 4 weeks id say. DS9 was deffo the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

irlmarc wrote: »
    DS9 was deffo the best one.

Don't get carried away :rolleyes:
    DS9 was great, but nothing beats TNG.

(What a geeky conversation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

eightyfish wrote: »

I dunno maybe its because I have seen TNG so much it has been repeated to death that I'm just not bothered with it anymore.

I know i feel dirty talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

starn wrote: »
    KerranJast wrote: »
    Seriously wtf? That would have blown. Dallas...IN SPACE!!!!

Well that's another one then. I read an interview with him that he said he wanted the Dominion to win the war and have the next series called Star Trek: Dominion.

I'm glad they never went with the Benny Russell ending. It would have undermined everything that had happened.

• Advertisement

So I'm 10 episodes into season 1 and I'm finding that the show has held up very well. It is funny watching these old episodes and seeing what parts I remember and parts that I don't.

The last episode I watched was terrible though, called Move Along Home. Awful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sounds good matr, I started ages ago rewatching but I'm only at the end of the second series after like a year or 2, must getback to it.

So I'm 10 episodes into season 1 and I'm finding that the show has held up very well. It is funny watching these old episodes and seeing what parts I remember and parts that I don't.

The last episode I watched was terrible though, called Move Along Home. Awful.

Alamarain, count to four
    Alamarain, then three more....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

eightyfish wrote: »

have you ever tried watching TNG right through other than 1 a week..it becomes painful fast. Just want to strangle wesley crusher....

DS9 easily the best ST....probably followed by Enterprise Season 4 some good trek'n in that. Voyager easily the worst(excluding TOS).....

have fun watching them through, did it a few months ago, good times. I've a terrible memory for tv so looking forward to doing it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

have you ever tried watching TNG right through other than 1 a week..it becomes painful fast. Just want to strangle wesley crusher....

DS9 easily the best ST....probably followed by Enterprise Season 4 some good trek'n in that. Voyager easily the worst(excluding TOS).....

have fun watching them through, did it a few months ago, good times. I've a terrible memory for tv so looking forward to doing it again!

Very unfair to be comparing a major budget 90's show (voyager), to a 60's aired and influenced TOS
    Take a look at the story lines handled by TOS, look how they handle it. Some of the best Trek ever was under Kirk (and no, I do not mean the women that were under him weekly:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Very unfair to be comparing a major budget 90's show (voyager), to a 60's aired and influenced TOS
    Take a look at the story lines handled by TOS, look how they handle it. Some of the best Trek ever was under Kirk (and no, I do not mean the women that were under him weekly:D)

to each their own, but it was the acting/story line i have a problem with...60's attempt at special effects(since they really couldn't do any) tends to be better than the 80's stuff which is kinda funny in a bad way....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I started re-watching it recently, and got into season 4. Will get back into it soon. I'll admit to skipping the odd episode in season 1 and 2 though.

I started rewatching TNG a few weeks ago, Im nearing the end of season 6 now. I didnt skip a singke episode, albeit sorely tempted to while watching The Outrageous Okana. I found it consistently good from about midway through season 2, and truly brilliant un until the end of season 5/start of season 6.

It just seems a little jaded through season 6. Tonight Im on the ep where Riker meets his double from the transporter accident. It gets a very well deserved 2nd place in the Trek Hall of Fame. DS9, easily came home first...its a masterpiece of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Voyager is grand, it has some incredible episodes yet still manages to throw in some of the worst along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Have any of you watched too much star trek?

are there entire episodes (or seasons?) that you know word for word? i know allot of episodes very well but a mate of mine who has not been working the last few years has now watched the scifi's more than i have and has run out of things to rewatch. i mean ive only done about 7 or maybe 8 complete run thoughs of Ds9 (that includes skipping the episode Move along home :) )

Have any of you seen it so much that you know it so well that you have sucked the enjoyment out of it?

im trying to stay away from babylon 5. i was only introduced to it last january and ive watched all 5 seasons 5 times now and im starting to know scenes word for word a few more run thoughs and ill be quoting entire episodes! so i have to stay away from that for a while.

Advertisement