Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

frank murphy

• 02-09-2009 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jimmym

frank murphy has informed cork co board that he does
    not intend staying on beyond 2011,
    it was alwaysa case of him going on his terms not being
    forced out, he has many faults but he has many pluses
    as well, people blame him for all ills in cork gaa,
    but to me most of this is rumour and urban myth,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Good riddance - and I'm from Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I thought he had said he was incumbent for life? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Yep,I wait until the day he retires so that I am ready to ban a few people for personal insults....remember that last Cork thread??...what was it called??;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Cork GAA has had much success while Frank Murphy was at the helm. Like anybody moving on, I would wish him well. I do hope that when he has retired that there will be an opportunity for a new beginning where some of the mistakes of the past can be put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Met the man a few times and found him ok.

One big problem in Cork appears to be some clubs hold a lot of power and Junior clubs dont appear to have much of a voice. Some I have been told dont have a vote so its hardly the most democratic place (C.C.B).

Mr. Murphy is a very clever man and understands the politics of it all.

My gripe if I were a Cork delegate would be more with the delegates who let things go so pear shaped over the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Benhonan

I'm terrified that with Frank gone Cork will suddenly realise their true potential and start hammering all around them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah Terrified .... Cone On the Rebels !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

i wonder who wrote the terms of the contract he signed 'till then?

jesus if there's a loophole in it and he decides he wants to stay on who would we get to figure that one out ?

frank v ....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Its been anounced that Frank Murphy is to step as Cork county secretary, a position he has held since 1973.

It must have been a fairly big gun they put to his head to get him to go........

More details here

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0903/cork.html

Maybe he's moving upstairs :rolleyes:

Anyway Sean Og will be one happy hurler!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Missed dat....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

What's the betting on 2010 as opposed to 2011 for the retirement?

Where is orizio?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A Cork taxi driver told me last year that the only person who can fire Frank Murphy is Frank Murphy. Is this true?

And to have the same guy as secretary for nearly 40 years is a joke! Democratically run organisation my ar$e!

I dont see a problem with having a Secretary for years. There are a lot of clubs and organisations up and down the county have long serving secretaries. Its not everyone who can handle a job like that.

Chairman is a totally different thing as the chairman carries a lot of clout.

Maybe on holidays??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

grenache wrote: »
    A Cork taxi driver told me last year that the only person who can fire Frank Murphy is Frank Murphy. Is this true?

And to have the same guy as secretary for nearly 40 years is a joke! Democratically run organisation my ar$e!

The secretary can only be fired by unanimous decision of the county board, Frank is a member of the county board.

I wonder in years to come will Pairc Ui Chaoimh be re-named Pairc O'Murchú?
    (I'm not taking the mick either, he has put away a lot of money for a new stadium, at least that is what I hope has happened to the money! Someone in the future might think it a good idea)

I believe that this is as close to a smile they could get for his retirement announcement of retirement:
    frankmurphy1.jpg

Have to admit that I like it, rebel.ranter. Well done for giving me a laugh on this dreary Sunday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

buck65 wrote: »
    Good riddance - and I'm from Clare.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

For all his faults he has contributed a lot to Cork GAA. The man is a master of the rulebook and has got many a Cork player out of a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

KerranJast wrote: »
    For all his faults he has contributed a lot to Cork GAA. The man is a master of the rulebook and has got many a Cork player out of a hole.

Yes but he has cost Cork more all-irelands as he was always a major influence in selections of teams

He ruined many great promising Cork players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

I believe that this is as close to a smile they could get for his retirement announcement of retirement:
    frankmurphy1.jpg

I actually saw a picture in the paper of him smiling once. Couldn't believe my eyes.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I won't believe he is going until he is gone - but sure he has a job lined up in Croke Park already.

The sooner he goes the better!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

grenache wrote: »

It wasn't- he ran the whole show.

yeah, I'd say that is the case regarding him being fired. In any other county board, after one strike there would be major change, including the executive. After a second strike, nobody from the first strike would be left!!! That will tell you how bad the state of affairs is in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Sorry to bring ground football into it but the guy reminds me of Aston Villa former chairman Doug Ellis. Thankfully villa finally got rid of him a few years back.
    Hopefully the footballers hate him enough to wait until 2012 to lift sam.

It wasn't- he ran the whole show.

yeah, I'd say that is the case regarding him being fired. In any other county board, after one strike there would be major change, including the executive. After a second strike, nobody from the first strike would be left!!! That will tell you how bad the state of affairs is in Cork

Frank is on his way. He wants to go at a time of his own choosing, obviously. Perhaps he will go when people least expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

LeoB wrote: »
    Where is orizio?

Hello? :D

Regarding Frank, he isn't going to be gone for another year at least. This is disapointing news if anything, and it wouldn't suprise if he is still around past 2011.

Also, considering the attitudes of many on the executive and unfortunately also many club delegates, Frank leaving probably won't have the effect many expect.

What is needed is not just a lot of work at underage club level, but also at schools, both primary and specifically secondary. Hurling at secondary school level in Cork City is practically dead, despite underage city clubs being fairly strong. In the 90's, we had the Mon, Farranferris, Colman's and Midleton CBS but now Farra is gone, the Mon are getting hammered left, right and center while the latter two are the only Cork schools competitive at Harty level, although they are still behind Flannans, Waterford Colleges, Clonmel CBS etc. New schools in Youghal, Glanmire and the city has hurt us, but thats no excuse for the poor performance of huge schools like Douglas CBS etc, or the fact that we don't have a Cork Colleges team for the city schools.

Anyway, Frank or not, I have accepted the fact that Cork Hurling is stuck deep in a malaise that will probably go on for another 5+ years, if we are lucky. The only way to solve this is pro-active work at every level of Cork GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

To be honest, while he made some massive mistakes, i still think someone who served his position through the love of the game and his county for so many years deserves respect. It will be good for the board to have new fresh ideas from a new secretary but id hope he will still be recognised for more than just the last few years. Having said that, im not from Cork so i wouldnt have the same anger/disappointment over what has happened in recent years but putting that to the side i think the man still deserves more than many people will give him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nalced_irl wrote: »
    To be honest, while he made some massive mistakes, i still think someone who served his position through the love of the game and his county for so many years deserves respect. It will be good for the board to have new fresh ideas from a new secretary but id hope he will still be recognised for more than just the last few years. Having said that, im not from Cork so i wouldnt have the same anger/disappointment over what has happened in recent years but putting that to the side i think the man still deserves more than many people will give him.

Keep dreaming. ;)

He will get zero respect from about 95% of Cork people, which says much about the man and his legacy.

Advertisement