Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anything be done about Periodontal Disease?

• 10-03-2009 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

They say gingivitus can be treated, is there anything that can ever be done about Periodontal Disease? If your gumline has receeded a bit, is there anything they can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

my wife had this problem pretty bad, along with a removed tooth which meant her other teeth moved apart. she has undergone a major cleaning regime, including getting tinty brushes to brush just under her gume, and a load of visits for cleans, deep cleans. the disease is now gone and the next step will be braces to straighten her teeth again, an implant where the tooth was removed, and then gum regeneration. There is a name on that part, I will get it for you, but it has been over a year, and it will be another year before she is done, and it costs lots of money.

Smoking is a major contributer, as is genetics. If your parents had it, you most likely will too as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Yup, thats pretty much me in the post above, still undergoing intensive cleaning regime with the hygienist, using Kin products, Corsodyl mouthwash and the Interdental brushes between gums and she told me today its pretty much gone, my gums have tightened and ''pinked'' nicely and my teeth are firmer now thank feck...onto braces next...lovely at 33!!:o

So to answer your initial question, yes it can be treated and cured...good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Make sure you brush with a soft brush (hard brushes make your gums receed), and floss every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Make sure you brush with a soft brush (hard brushes make your gums receed), and floss every day.

I don't think that is true of modern toothbrushes at all.

Dentists on this forum, can you confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Michelle White Outfielder

I always reccomend a soft brush, its not the hardness that does the cleaning its your attention to detail and technique. your own dentist can advise. I ahard brudh will do nothing in a normal person however if your gums are inflamed or you have naturally thin gums then a hard brush used with agression every day can cause recession and notching of the teeth at the gum line. Again your dentist can advise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

anyone know how much a deep clean (on one tooth) is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Can you get gum grafts or something just to cover up where the line has receeded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭gccorcaigh

MonicaBing wrote: »
    So to answer your initial question, yes it can be treated and cured...good luck!

Periodontal disease is irreversable, so to speak.Yes it can be treated, and stabilised but it is an irreversable condition. The gums can be brought back to good health with periodontal treatment, followed by regular cleanings with your dentist or hygienist, proper oral hygiene, a chlorohexidine mouthwash etc

eth0_ wrote: »
    I don't think that is true of modern toothbrushes at all.

Dentists on this forum, can you confirm?

Most dentists and hygienists recommend a soft toothbrush. Ideally with a small head.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 melody_cool

Hi Rebelgirrrl,

I have the same problem..and i am supposed to be getting gum surgery pretty soon, i'm not sure about the dentist i was recommended to though so if anyone knows a very good dentist that does this i would appreciate a pm on it...thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

What exactly are you having done?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 melody_cool

My gum's are receding so i was told that skin from the palate would be taken and grafted on, it is visible and not only that i have some sensitivity with it... 300 to get them cleaned up without freezing them (to cut down the cost i was told) 600 for the surgery but i think that is only the first time, judging by the looks of it i need quite a bit done...quite depressing for me and i just feel uneasy abut it all....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

gccorcaigh wrote: »
    Most dentists and hygienists recommend a soft toothbrush. Ideally with a small head.

So what is the point of hard bristled toothbrushes? Are they for people with braces?

eth0_ wrote: »
    So what is the point of hard bristled toothbrushes? Are they for people with braces?

I dont recommend hard toothbrushes to any of my patients. People think that by using a hard toothbrush, they will clean their teeth more effectively, but in fact its the brushing technique that does the job. Hard bristles can cause abrasion and can wear the gum away. Thats where the expression "long in the tooth" comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Periodontal disease is irreversable, so to speak.Yes it can be treated, and stabilised but it is an irreversable condition. The gums can be brought back to good health with periodontal treatment, followed by regular cleanings with your dentist or hygienist, proper oral hygiene, a chlorohexidine mouthwash etc

I have seen some amazing things done with lasers in the arena of bone regeneration by some dentists in the States

I have seen some amazing things done with lasers in the arena of bone regeneration by some dentists in the States

Well it would be fantastic if that kind of treatment becomes available in Ireland.

Can the receding gumline even be cosmetically improved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Glacier wrote: »
    They say gingivitus can be treated, is there anything that can ever be done about Periodontal Disease? If your gumline has receeded a bit, is there anything they can do?

Try a two week course of corsidyl its very strong but the amount of crap that it gets rid of is unreal. also, anyone tell me how to start a new thread? am new here :):o

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

LANAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Carol H

Been having this done for about 5 years now, initially there was some surgery and then after 3 month maintenance checks and now onto 6 month checks.
    Mine is a hereditary problem and escalated as I was not too fond of flossing.
    It's not cheap but vanity comes at a price but my gums are healthier, pinker and I'll be hanging on to my natural teeth as long as humanly possible.
    It is also a tad bit painful getting the socket depths checked every 6 months. The peridonist I frequent is in my opinion "Excellent". (Millenium Park, Sallins)

• Advertisement

Big_G wrote: »
    LANAP?

Yes 'laser assisted new attachment procedure' (LANAP).
    very popular with dentists in the US but periodontists are slower to catch on. A bit like dentine bonding I think. The dental schools began to accept dentine bonding about 10 years after those of us on the coal face.

I haven't introduced it in my practice because I don't think patients here are willing to pay for it. Fees would have to be about 4000euro for a full mouth treatment and I suspect a lot of people would look upon it as just an expensive cleaning and think you are ripping them off ;)

Do Gum Grafts not exist though?

Did you know that Biolase actually patented the procedure? So only their products can be used for true LANAP. And the laser would probably cost about 100g's.

On the subject of dentine bonding, they still haven't started teaching self etching primers yet either, even though they are superior to the total etch technique I was taught (prime and bond together). It's mad the way it takes ages for new things to catch on with the academics.

Do Gum Grafts not exist though?
    Yes they do exist and are useful in some instances. Other times veneers give a good cosmetic result in gum recession cases. Choice of treatment depends an lots of factors like age of pt, condition of teeth , bone,gums etc, and then there is the personal preferance of the pt.

The discussion about lasers is about cases with severe bone loss, not mild gum recession

Big_G wrote: »
    Did you know that Biolase actually patented the procedure? So only their products can be used for true LANAP. And the laser would probably cost about 100g's.

On the subject of dentine bonding, they still haven't started teaching self etching primers yet either, even though they are superior to the total etch technique I was taught (prime and bond together). It's mad the way it takes ages for new things to catch on with the academics.

No I didn't know about the patent. I do know a dentist who was trying to get rid of his new Waterlase one year after purchase and had no takers for it. It seems the warranty didn't travel to the second owner. This is a few years ago and he had paid about $50,000 for it . Rod Kurthy was talking up some much cheaper ($10,000) lasers and I think he was claiming the are able to do the same thing sort of volkswagon like. I think most GP dentists would find that price reasonable and they can use them to improve their cosmetic work without getting involved in the bone regeneration stuff. I still haven't got one though......

Try a two week course of corsidyl its very strong but the amount of crap that it gets rid of is unreal. also, anyone tell me how to start a new thread? am new here :):o

At the top left corner of each forum main page is a little box that says 'New Thread'. :cool:

My principal is thinking of getting a diode for soft tissue management. Seems like a lot of money for something you could probably manage with an electrosurge.

The waterlase is interesting though. Cuts cavities with no anaesthetic apparently. Shallow ones. There's even videos on DT of it. Apparently there's a lady dentist in Limerick who has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lebear

Well it would be fantastic if that kind of treatment becomes available in Ireland.

I have been searching for a dentist in Dublin that performs Laser Gum Surgery. Is this treatment not available in Ireland yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My dentist recommended a sonic toothbrush and my hygienist showed me how to use it correctly. I too have the dreaded gum disease :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Hi just wondering if there have been any advances in treating gum disease since this thread was started ?

Advertisement