Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How should motorway service areas be signed?

• 25-08-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Okay, get the crayons out! What kind of ADS, gore and cantilever signs should be used?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Knowing Ireland it will ideally be a bad British version. I will have a look at other countries ADS for MSA's.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Some UK examples...

attachment.php?attachmentid=88923&d=1251157624

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

0511-0710-2218-4545_Pilgrim_Cartoon_clipart_image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I like the way in France, each service area (and rest area) has a name.

tech2 wrote: »
    Knowing Ireland it will ideally be a bad British version. I will have a look at other countries ADS for MSA's.

This is partially probalbly not just cos of our location of Brtian, but cos it's manuals are all free online. And it's probably a UK consultancy working for the department of transport updating the TSM. Oh yeah, what ever happened to the updated TSM, wasn't it supposed to have been published 2 or 3 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This is partially probalbly not just cos of our location of Brtian, but cos it's manuals are all free online. And it's probably a UK consultancy working for the department of transport updating the TSM. Oh yeah, what ever happened to the updated TSM, wasn't it supposed to have been published 2 or 3 years ago?
    It's not! (unfortunately). The TRL tendered for it and lost out to Roughnan & O'Donovam (who probably haven't a clue) IIRC. Why are consulting ENGINEERS redeigning the TSM. It should be a DESIGN house, like the original UK TSM!

Oh so that's where the loss of aspect depth and ratio comes from in over signs.:mad:

........ and the use of a heavy font on a dark background.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A french example

The signs show( top to bottom) it's wheelchair accessible, it's name, the slip lane is in 300m, and the next two stops with similar facilities, a fuel stop is in 33km and the next rest stop with toilets and picnic area is in only 11km.

There is obviously advance signage usually 5,2,1 km in advance of the rest stop too. And all our stops will be fully accessible, so shouldn't need to specify that.

Here's another one, this is more cluttered than usual, there usually isn;t an exit to complicate things.

Notice the fuel prices on the second sign (In yellow type, with the square Carrefour symbol on top) there's three types of petrol, 98/95 Octane and super(lead replacement), Diesel, LPG
    Fuel is usually dearer on the Motorway so you can decide in advance if you're going to get it on the motorway or go offline.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

rite i got my (digital) crayons out,

i reckon the signs should look something like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What about patching the corporate logos of individual service providers onto the blue signs? I noticed lots of McDonalds, Shell and BurgerKing patches on official Auobahn signage in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Interesting thread. If I get some time and motivation, I'll get out the ol' photoshop crayons and produce something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Furet wrote: »
    What about patching the corporate logos of individual service providers onto the blue signs? I noticed lots of McDonalds, Shell and BurgerKing patches on official Auobahn signage in Germany.

IIRC, the motorways in France have advanced signage with how far, and what brand of fuel is sold at, upcoming service areas.

E.g.

Total 50K
    Shell 90K etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The signs will have the Irish language for 'services' listed first and in italics, confusing the hell out of most motorists.
    Down with that sort of thing.

The size of the Irish on the sign should be proportional to the percentage of population using it.

No-one reply to that. This isn't about the Irish language. Drop it now, 10-10-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It may seem unfair but let me expand somewhat on what I mean.

Take a motorway off-ramp which is signed at the roundabout with warnings "Wrong way, turn back" on the right and the Irish equivalent on the left.
    It's a general understanding that safety signs such as these need to clearly warn of the risks ahead.
    If a driver neglects to read the English version on the right and is faced only with the Irish version on the left, what are the chances of that driver clearly understanding the warning?

I believe that I have a valid concern, but possibly delivered in a poor manner.

Explanation accepted; however that is not an issue for this thread and in order to prevent the thread from derailing, bring it up elsewhere if you like, but not here.

Well, I got the ol' crayons out, but I was too lazy to use photoshop, I just threw these quickly together in paint so apologies for the scrappy appearance.

I'd like the signage to be kept nice and simple.

Something like this, perhaps a 10km, 5km and 2km.

3859004865_d9856f68b3.jpg

Followed simply by a mini-ADS

3858989705_c3ba198b3d.jpg

And then the standard "EXIT" sign, except labelled with services.

3859745416_830bc38c1c.jpg

Nice job Blunt. What do you think about patching corporate logos?

Nice job Blunt. What do you think about patching corporate logos?

I'd rather corporate logos of any description were kept off the official signage. If McDonalds, Burger King, etc. want to advertise, they should only be allowed do it through a TSM-approved sign that doesn't interfere in any way with the important signage.

• Advertisement

I'm minded to agree; what about those giant tower things they put up on the continent and in the States? I suspect Cashel will have one of those shortly.

I'm minded to agree; what about those giant tower things they put up on the continent and in the States? I suspect Cashel will have one of those shortly.

Ah, yes. I can't wait to see the hideous, distracting signage South Tipp. Co. Council will let Topaz & friends get away with.

When is that horrible development scheduled to open then?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Ah, yes. I can't wait to see the hideous, distracting signage South Tipp. Co. Council will let Topaz & friends get away with.

When is that horrible development scheduled to open then?

Good bit off yet I'd say. The new ramps aren't ready at all yet either.

The pics shown are good. I'd prefer the ladies and gents symbol for toilets, than WC and there should be a picnic sign too. and parking.

If all the services are to be similar, fuel, shop, jacks, parking etc, then maybe there's no need for the pics, but they clearly convey the info.

The pics shown are good. I'd prefer the ladies and gents symbol for toilets, than WC and there should be a picnic sign too. and parking.

ye so would i but i couldn't find one and my skills as an artist leave a lot to be desired so i was working with what i had.

dannym08 wrote: »
    ye so would i but i couldn't find one and my skills as an artist leave a lot to be desired so i was working with what i had.

I really like your sign idea, but I'd say it'd be more suited for a cantilever or one of those new-style signs replacing the cantilever, than a 2 km mark.

Perhaps something along these lines:

3861475582_c5e68a92b6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Would "Áiseanna" be a better choice for the Irish?

Also surely it would fit our signage here to have it on a brown sign. The new M20 signs have quite neat brown panels for e.g. rugby at Dooradoyle, Limerick racecourse, Patrickswell "services" (i.e. symbols for food, drink, petrol, B&B).

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I really like your sign idea, but I'd say it'd be more suited for a cantilever or one of those new-style signs replacing the cantilever, than a 2 km mark.

thanks. ye it prob would be. But do you not think we should include the symbols for foreign drivers who dont speak english or irish. I know it would probably be pretty obvious but even so

maybe something like this:
    untitled.jpg

EDIT
    i just realised i spelled Seirbhís wrong. Just imagine its right!

Zoney wrote: »

if memory serves that means facilities, yes?

i'd say serbhís or whatever way you spell it would be a better option tbh,

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote: »

Also surely it would fit our signage here to have it on a brown sign. The new M20 signs have quite neat brown panels for e.g. rugby at Dooradoyle, Limerick racecourse, Patrickswell "services" (i.e. symbols for food, drink, petrol, B&B).

The brown signs are for tourist info and aren't on the Motorway, The services/rest areas are. So I'd use both types, brown for offline areas and blue for online.

Advertisement