Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom being bought by Singapore Technologies Telemedia

• 14-08-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

So I just read on SiliconRepublic that Singapore Technologies Telemedia will be purchasing Eircom for the sum of €130m

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

It even says "it is understood STT has met with the Irish Government about addressing infrastructure deficit."

Maybe these guys will know a thing or two about getting fibre up hills and up my road! :D:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I wouldn't expect a quick change but it is a long term good thing.

They may do a UPC and spend a fortune upgrading the network but Eircom are still heavily indebted, it could a be a few years before they start making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Eircom are still heavily indebted

Isn't this the problem with Eircom? And doesn't it make the possibility of any spending on infrastructure unlikely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

€130m for a company the size of Eircom? That seems very very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kev9652

€130m for a company the size of Eircom? That seems very very little.

with two billion euro in debt it dosent seem a small price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

kev9652 wrote: »
    with two billion euro in debt it dosent seem a small price

Over €4bn in debt once you include the pension fund deficit .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

http://www.sttelemedia.com/content.asp?CatId=248&ContentType=About_Us#1

I'd say a good thing.
    Certainly better than being bought by investment bankers.
    Hopefully they'll be asking "How do we add more lines?" instead of "how can we sack the guys who add lines?"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

Oh God FINALLY!

Maybe we can get that thing,..what do ya call it?b.bb.. Broadband? That's it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Maybe something along these lines might help to bring broadband services the the regions with none
    http://www.easybourse.com/bourse/actualite/intel-dell-join-nonprofit-to-bring-cheap-internet-718071

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bestsellers

I think that stt will have alot more to offer to ireland and will do everything they can to give a high internet speed to all of ireland and especially the areas where the speed is poor or there is none at all. Its totally unfair that dublin gets the fastest internet speed of 100mb whereas me living in kerry only have 1mb, their internet... 100 times faster!!!! Even though there are less people out here, tough crap, we still have businesses and homes that really want fast internet!!!! I hope this happens really soon! Get eircom outta here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

This thread is two years old, and very dead before you revived it. Furthermore, Eircon has done NOTHING in the area of broadband, in fact I've read that they've stopped upgrading local exchanges partly because of the farce of the National "Broadband" Scheme. Your enthusiasm is ... questionable to say the least, and I have to wonder if you signed up just to post that and if so for what reason.
    162238.png
    Yes, The Doctor knows this is retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Mod
    Locking this thread as mentioned it's been dead for two years. Also STT did buy Eircom let the general consensus is more then likely they might default on their debt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement