Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

Nico22 wrote: »
    What did surprise me was how he butchered the song by singing Rock the Kasbah in the middle of it.

Whats that all about ..

I thought the exact same !
    What was he playing at :confused:
    For such a meaningfull song and then singing rock the kasbah :eek:
    He goes from listing off names of people who died during the troubles in Slane to That - he needs a clip round the ear :P

I was at it on friday , in the lower tier of the davin stand and i came away feeling as it it was'nt worth the €100 i paid for the ticket .
    Ive been years waiting to see them ,but i expected too much from them.
    I think they should have had the concerts in the phoenix park , and it could have been a proper 360 degree experience .

When all is said and done though, i was glad to see them .
    They make you proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Hello all
    Does anyone know the names of the songs and artists that were played in the build up to the gig? Specifically i'm referring to the songs played between the support acts and the U2 intro - Space Oddity by David Bowie.
    There were some catchy tracks in there!
    Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Drugness wrote: »
    Hello all
    Does anyone know the names of the songs and artists that were played in the build up to the gig? Specifically i'm referring to the songs played between the support acts and the U2 intro - Space Oddity by David Bowie.
    There were some catchy tracks in there!
    Thanks everyone

From what i can remember

Bat For Lashes - Daniel
    Interpol - The Heinrich Manouvre
    Joy Division - Transmission
    The Airbourne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
    The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
    Kings Of Leon -
    The Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Drugness

Thanks very much Kerryu272 good work from you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Len_007

Undead wrote: »
    Really good pictures mate, would love to see more?

Sure. Was right in front of the edge, so most the good ones were of him. On hind sight I should of moved reound the pit for better angle's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

monday i was in the hogan stand and the sound was crap.. not much interaction with the crowd either.. pretty bland gig.. didnt step away feeling wowed or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

cuterob wrote: »
    monday i was in the hogan stand and the sound was crap.. not much interaction with the crowd either.. pretty bland gig.. didnt step away feeling wowed or anything

Gotta agree, pretty lifeless, not a patch on vertigo or slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

kennyu272 wrote: »
    From what i can remember

Bat For Lashes - Daniel
    Interpol - The Heinrich Manouvre
    Joy Division - Transmission
    The Airbourne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
    Kings Of Leon -
    The Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven

Here's the full list that i found on another forum:

MGMT - Time to pretend
    Doves - Winter Hill
    M83 - Graveyard Girl
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero
    Empire of the Sun - Walking on a dream
    Hot Chip - Ready for the floor
    M83 - You, appearing
    Bat for Lashes - Daniel
    Interpol - The Heinrich Maneuver
    TV On the Radio - Family Tree
    The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime around midnight
    Kings of Leon - Slow Night, So Long
    Moderat - Les Grandes Marches
    Muse - Starlight
    The Killers - Spaceman
    La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream remix)
    The Gossip - Standing in the way of control
    Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place
    LCD Soundsystem - Time To Get Away
    The Pixies - This monkey's gone to heaven
    Santogold - Lights Out
    White Lies - Death (Chase & Status Remix)
    David Bowie - Space Oddity
    U2 - Kingdom (excerpt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Well burnt

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    New name will be Aviva (I presume you know this, just not sure from your post)

Also, I don't know what the residents are complaining about, why buy a house next to a stadium and then complain about noise :confused:

Lots of the residents have been happily living beside Croker for 20 plus years.
    Till 10 odd years ago Croker was used 6-10 times per year. Presently, it hosts 34 odd events per year. A slight increase you'll agree? So perhaps you might now know or consider what they're complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Pal wrote: »
    Well...

I went and enjoyed it.

Because I really like U2
    but not Croke Park !

Probably the worst stadium on the whole tour.

haha you sir are the worst fan on the tour!
    Croke Park is one of the best stadiums in world its U2's production that fcked it up and not putting it in the actual middle so in that sense it was terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

He goes from listing off names of people who died during the troubles in Slane to That - he needs a clip round the ear :P

wow you are extremely unlearned!! 3 things.....
    1. U2 started out as a punk band
    2. The Clash are one of their biggest influences and it was hint back to that
    3. The two songs share the same theme's!

tsk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

term wrote: »
    Question for the Bruce show attendees, did the songs from the new albums stand up with the older material at their recent shows?
    Certainly, Outlaw Pete was a highlight and will be played for years to come.

I have to say I came away from U2 with a new appreciation of the current album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

Have to say i really liked the new stuff think it sounds alot better live.
    I appreciate the new album alot more now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Tomohawk wrote: »
    You mean Lansdowne stadium, I dont think the residents round here would put up with the disruption of the load in and load out for such a future gig. Let the northsiders deal wit it...

Why not? There were concerts there before the stadium was done up, don't see why that's going to change. Pretty sure they'll get a similar license to what Croke Park has.

The one thing that Aviva will have going for it is that it will be mostly idle during the summer months when the outdoor gigs usually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

I saw first and last nights of the Vertigo gigs and I can safely say they surpassed this year by bucket fulls. I suppose Bruce two nights in a row two kind've dampened the impact of this gig but I just was left very much unimpressed. Bono has reached his most prancy, saying a handful to the crowd and mostly just prancing about waiting for crowd reactions. Cringed like hell when Bono actually STOPPED SINGING during One in order to change guitars, even though he's not playing anything nor is he being heard. Rule #1 in Live Performance 101, never ever ever stop! Still a great gig and worth the €60 easily but they were incredibly outperformed by The Script and it wouldn't hurt for them to realise that there's a little more effort required on their part to maintain their "Best Band In The World" mantle, just showing up and knocking out the songs does not suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

niallon wrote: »
    Cringed like hell when Bono actually STOPPED SINGING during One in order to change guitars, even though he's not playing anything nor is he being heard. Rule #1 in Live Performance 101, never ever ever stop!

are you really trying to tell Bono, the front man of the biggest band of the last 2 decades, a band who are famed for their live performances, what he should do at a gig? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

I was in the Hogan on the Friday, Cusack on the Saturday, unfortuntly could not get a ticket for the Monday. I did get the next best thing, A mate has an appartment at the back of Hill 16 , on the roof top garden at least 60 of us enjoyed the gig , we could hear it perfectly and see the screen!

Best Gigs ever , hopefully they will be back next year to finish off the tour in Ireland

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are you really trying to tell Bono, the front man of the biggest band of the last 2 decades, a band who are famed for their live performances, what he should do at a gig? really?

No, I doubt Bono is on Boards. If I wished to tell him I would write him a letter. I was simply making the point that it is a general live performance taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

not really tbh. if the drummer stopped drumming, then perhaps you'd have a point.

singers stop singing all the time during gigs, no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Beechman wrote: »
    unfortuntly could not get a ticket for the Monday. I did get the next best thing, A mate has an appartment at the back of Hill 16 , on the roof top garden at least 60 of us enjoyed the gig , we could hear it perfectly and see the screen!

Cool,even better than the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

I was in the Hogan on the Friday, Cusack on the Saturday, unfortuntly could not get a ticket for the Monday. I did get the next best thing, A mate has an appartment at the back of Hill 16 , on the roof top garden at least 60 of us enjoyed the gig , we could hear it perfectly and see the screen!

Best Gigs ever , hopefully they will be back next year to finish off the tour in Ireland

Jesus 3 times.

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

I've heard that they WILL be back next year. ;) They're releasing a new album next year and should be playing again. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

enner43 wrote: »
    I've heard that they WILL be back next year. ;) They're releasing a new album next year and should be playing again. :cool:

Where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I was at it on friday , in the lower tier of the davin stand and i came away feeling as it it was'nt worth the €100 i paid for the ticket .
    I

€138 each for ours and felt much the same.

I think the claw thing is crap. Don't get it at all.

If anything, it gets in the way - puts a barrier between the band and the fans. Thought at the last Croker gig it was way better when they just walked out on the walkway things.

Seen Britney in the O2 (don't laugh - was dragged along) and that was more of an 'in-the-round' experience. If U2 play there I think they gig will be great.

Simple Minds will be the first real test of the O2 I think. I missed Kings Of Leon there but seen Coldplay.

Coldplay actually sang an acoustic song in the middle of the crowd there so no real end to what U2 could do there.

If anyone's interested I'll post a vid of Britney singing Everytime live @ The O2 ..

Here's my only YouTube upload so far:

Coldplay - Green Eyes & Fairytale Of New York Live @ The O2

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Hi,

Here's some decent quality footage from Croker 3. Its synched / mixed with audio from anither source (Alysha).

Hope you enjoy...more on the way when I get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuDtMXVZ6E

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Monday night was so epic it's unbelievable.
    I was in the Cusack literally RIGHT next to the stage until the encore:
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8516/image077o.jpg

I had a wristband to get into the inner ring in front of the stage, but I didn't want to go down during the gig and risk missing a song while trying to find my way down. So I headed down during the interval after the main set, and made it in just in time for the encore. It was even more incredible being that close...
    http://img189.imageshack.us/i/image086x.jpg/

What an amazing night! I really hope they do Dublin again when they're on the return Europe tour, as it's rumoured they will do a second Europe leg this time around...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

What did you think of Bonos demeanor? And the fact that he stopped Edge during 'Bad' and at another stage said 'Don't forget about us'..

My thought were that he's obviously a little hurt by the backlash about the album, and the fact that they didn't sell out. Possibly the guys, and they're the one band who I think will, are considering quitting with some grace?

Just wondering if anyone got the same impression?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I thought it was a bit odd, but at the end of the day the album, while not as well as previous albums, considering the huge decline of sales (especially in the past year_ it has done very well. It topped the charts in over 35 countries and is the biggest selling album of the year so far globally. This tour is most likely going to be not only the highest grossing tour of all time, but also the most tickets sold for any tour in history. So they would definatly be going out on a high, although I cant see it happening anytime seen, considering they only signed a 12 year deal with Live Nation a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Hi,

Here's some decent quality footage from Croker 3. Its synched / mixed with audio from anither source (Alysha).

Hope you enjoy...more on the way when I get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuDtMXVZ6E

Super video,heard the boot is really good

• Advertisement

A Disgrace wrote: »
    What did you think of Bonos demeanor? And the fact that he stopped Edge during 'Bad' and at another stage said 'Don't forget about us'..

My thought were that he's obviously a little hurt by the backlash about the album, and the fact that they didn't sell out. Possibly the guys, and they're the one band who I think will, are considering quitting with some grace?

Just wondering if anyone got the same impression?

There was a weird vibe onstage, dunno if I'd say they're quitting though, maybe it's a Lovetown style "Dream it all up again" vibe

Advertisement