Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    jwshooter wrote: »
    hi davy im very interested in the sheath mounted horizontally on the belt ,do you think the knife wound be safe this way .ie it will not fall out.

the main reason i like a folder is its tidy on my hip ,my fixed blade knife hangs to low for my liking.

i could see this carry position on the small of my back working ,what is the over all lenth of the knife in house.

John

The OAL including sheath is approx 10.5" or 265mm
    The knife can be mounted inverted on the shoulder and will not fall out.

Davy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭droc

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Davy, that is a beautiful piece of equipment.

The reason I found this thread is that my project fo this summer is to make a bushcraft knife, this thread and your other one with the tutorial have been an amazing inspiration and help in planning the project (the labour starts next week when I'm on holiday).

I only hope that one day, with lots and lots of practice and experience, I can build something anywhere near as beautiful as that.

I'd love to see a review from the guy who wins it in the raffle when the time comes. It looks as practical as it is beautiful and it would be great to see a hunter's opinion on that.

Would you mind if you posted that picture of the knife and a link to this thread on other knife forums (such as britishblades)? I really think a project like this deserves some publicity, and if you can make a bit of money out of orders all the better.

Thanks

DROC

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I'd love to see a review from the guy who wins it in the raffle

Yeah this is a brilliant idea
    Would you mind if you posted that picture of the knife and a link to this thread on other knife forums (such as britishblades)? I really think a project like this deserves some publicity, and if you can make a bit of money out of orders all the better.

I think the thread is doing just fine as it is.
    I dont think it needs any more exposure than it has already received.
    And this project was never about money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

No
    davymoore wrote: »
    Yeah this is a brilliant idea

I think the thread is doing just fine as it is.
    I dont think it needs any more exposure than it has already received.
    And this project was never about money

Said from the heart me thinks
    A true work of love and art.

The Kilkenny Arts Festival starts here second week in August you should display your work for that week. It's not just about painting.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Some more pics today....
    sealgaire.jpg

Sheathed in a Left handed setup
    sheath.jpg

Sheathed in a Right handed setup
    sheathr.jpg

Nice view of the layered steel
    sealgaire2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

clivej wrote: »
    Said from the heart me thinks
    A true work of love and art.

The Kilkenny Arts Festival starts here second week in August you should display your work for that week. It's not just about painting.

+1 on that! It would also show knives and collectors in a positive light as well and that not all knife users are some kind of gurrier intent on comitting mayhem with a pound shop kitchen knife.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Well the last vote is complete and the name chosen is ..

Sealgaire (Irish word for Hunter) (Pronounced Shall-Grrr-ah)

Thanks to all of you who have participated in the project. I think we have a fine knife with a very fitting name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mark12ga

Yes, Sun 23rd only

Sealgaire (Irish word for Hunter) (Pronounced Shall-Grrr-ah)
    great name and a true work of art ,a knife we can be proud of at last:D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    A knife like that makes you proud to be Irish Davy! Never mind us lot wanting it, the rest of the world would love an Irish hunting knife now! Very well done and it was my pleasure to watch you take us from concept to the first finished knife.

Mallards.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

Having followed this thread since the beginning, it is amazing to see the beautiful final outcome.
    I have not contributed much, as my lack of experience means my opinion on style, look and practicality of such a knife would be less than useful.
    I do now find myself with a strange anti-climax feeling, as I want this knife.
    I respect your craft Davy and it is very understandable that you want to keep this as a hobby. Once your hobby becomes work, it means the fun is gone. I hope this never happens to you.
    Why do I want it so badly? I think for the same reason as everyone else – it represents the best of Ireland and its country sports. It represents true skill and workmanship and God it looks pretty.
    If I got this knife, it would inspire me to go on a hunting trip just so as I could field test it and report back to all the readers of this thread on how great it is.

Well done Davy, well done to all who contributed to the design and function of this fine knife.
    The person who gets it is one lucky sob.

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Well
    Folks it looks as though this project has come to an end and it's time to close the entries to the competition to win the knife.

I want to sincerely thank you all ..

I want to thank those that participated with some wonderful suggestions that helped steer the course of the project. Those that put forward the weird & whacky ideas that didn't make it in. The people who moaned. The people who complained via PM. Those that shouted encouragment from the sidelines like spectators at a hurling match and those that looked but never spoke.

Thanks especially to the Mods and Admins for putting up with the project to begin with and for all their help organizing Polls and voting.

Paul Donnellan my fellow knifemaker was a massive help and to be honest this knife would not have been possible without his help and input.

When this project started out I was always hopeful that the final product would end up meeting it's design requirements. I believed that it was possible to pool input from a group and design what I believed would be a good working knife. I was worried at times that we were going to have something "Oirish Begorra" but fair play to you all you stuck firmly to the task at hand and the result speaks for itself.

I've made many many knives in my time but i have never been so proud of piece as I am of this design. All the elements which go to make this knife have been discussed, debated, voted upon and chosen by you guys with an obvious dedication to produce something of such a high quality that anyone including myself would be proud to own and display. My hat is off to each and every one of you.

Unfortunately only one person can get to win the knife but in time those that really want one should have an opportunity to do so at some stage in the future. Someone mentioned a public gathering such as a BBQ or something similar to hold the draw and I'd be up for that. I like the opportunity to meet you all and thank each of you personally.

The Sealgaire is a model which will be in my stable for as long as I can make knives and I hope to make many of them over the years to come. The basic design is sound and the scope for individual customization is almost endless.

With that in mind I'd like to introduce you to the family.

Sealgaire #1

Blade: 4"/100mm Full Tang, Hollow Ground, Suninagashi Steel.
    Handle: Wych Elm
    Fittings: Brass
    Sheath: Hand Sewn, Ambidextrous, 4mm, Leather

sealgaire-l.jpg

Sealgaire #2

Blade: 4"/100mm Full Tang, Hollow Ground, CPM154.
    Handle: Buckeye

sealgaire-c.jpg

Sealgaire #3

Blade: 4"/100mm Hidden Tang, Hollow Ground, Hakkapella Pattern Damasteel.

sealgaire-d.jpg

The current family

sealgaires.jpg

sealgaires2.jpg

Sincere thanks once again.

Regards

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    It's been a genuine pleasure to follow this thread Davy, I think I'm not exaggerating when I say it's probably if not definitely the best and most interesting thread we've had in the Hunting forum since boards.ie started carrying threads on shooting several years ago, and that's mainly down to your work documenting everything and focussing on the Hunting community rather than commercial interests and you deserve every accolade and thanks you receive for that (and every sale you make in the coming years! ;) )

You've set the bar, that's not something many manage to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That third one is spectacular. Really really special. Congratulations. If you take orders, you'll certainly have one from me when I have a bit of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    That's a lovely collection, any hunter would really be proud to own one of those, I really need to get my hands on one of those count me in for a future purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Thanks Davy for the wonderful experience I've had following this thread. I was a pleasure to make the few suggestions I offered. Also you have definitely inspired me to attempt my own custom knife build at some stage; although it will be a long time if ever that I could hope to make anything like what you have created.
    Well done and congratulations on creating a masterpiece that will not soon be forgotten.

PS- the hidden tang with the Damascus blade looks Amazing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Davy,
    You are going to start the great Sealgaire debate with those 3 knives and which ones we all want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Sealgaire #3

A real beauty.......patterning on blade amazing!

Probably an obvious answer to this Davy, but why does knife no: 3 not have any brass rivets in the handle....are they inserted in the others to keep the 2 halves of the handle together or are they purely cosmetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,000 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    J.R. wrote: »
    Sealgaire #3

A real beauty.......patterning on blade amazing!

Probably an obvious answer to this Davy, but why does knife no: 3 not have any brass rivets in the handle....are they inserted in the others to keep the 2 halves of the handle together or are they purely cosmetic?
    That one is a hidden tang, the others are full tang. At least thats my understanding

I've said it countless times Davy, great job. You can be proud

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    J.R. wrote: »

As Mellor said this is a hidden tang knife which does not require pinning.

The pins keep the scales on the blade, so I suppose they are functional and cosmetic.

Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi guys

first of all well done again to Davy, this was epic!

secondly i love the idea of a BBQ and meetup, but I won't be in country all of August and part of September. So unless y'all care to wait fo me have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

No
    Nice job Davey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi Davy,

I've been away for a while, but it looks like you were well able to cope in my absence ;).

Seriously, the "family" looks great. Congratulations.

Smokey

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Any update on the get together to draw for the Sealgaire ?

Davy

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    is there anybody in charge of it? Mods, I think this might be your job? ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    How about at the game fair in august?

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Sounds like a good idea, I know it's in Birr so it's very central for everyone, but when is it on ?

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    22nd/23rd August.

http://www.irishgameandcountryfair.com/

Mallards.

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I won't be in country but it sounds like a good plan :)

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Looks like a great event and I wouldn't mind having a small stand or table but @ €300 for the smallest available I dunno...

It is a good idea though and we would probably have a fair few members there for the weekend.

How would we logistically hold the draw there ?

Anyone got any ideas ?

Davy

• Advertisement

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    It has a bar..;)

Advertisement