Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baileys alternatives ?

• 27-07-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I've seen quite a few bottles of various "Irish cream liquour" around the place. Has anyone a decent guide to what's what ? The price ranges from as little as €9 up to €15 and then on to the same kind of Baileys pricing.

One of the bottles I remember was Irish Knights. I've seen one in Aldi (with produce of Ireland on it) and a few others around.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some are "wine" based, this is really just sugar & water fermented out and filtered, sort of like an alcopop. This is why they can be so cheap. Others will say whiskey based, and do have a suggestion of whiskey in them, and then the wine too!

Carolans is probably one to try.
    http://www.carolans.ie/carolans/the-product.asp

I had tia lusso which was nice, but pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Irish Knights is pretty nice. The price is good too :) See it in Dunnes all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Funny again that you only see Baileys on the pub shelf and none of these other Irish creams. I take it that the others make most of their money through exporting rather than the Irish market which is smothered by Diagepoo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Lidl have a good one, I think its called Queen Margaret, 9.99 last time I checked

Irish Knights is also a good one, but I'd be more inclined to go with the Lidl brand

• Carolans is fairly cheap as well I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Carolans is fairly cheap as well I think.
    Maloneys, McCormicks and O'Neills all sell for around 7-8 euro. Fusions of wine, whiskey and cream. All good alternatives to Baileys, which like most products in this country is massively over-priced.

Picked up an aul bottle of Irish Knights there in Dunnes for 7 bob or so.

I wonder what'd happen if I added some whiskey into it ?

€16-17 in Dunnes for a 70cl/700ml bottle I think it was. Cheaper than baileys anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think its vodka based instead of Bailey's whisky based.

Rabies wrote: »
    I think its vodka based instead of Bailey's whisky based.
    Their site does indeed say it's made from "fine Irish spirits and whiskey".
    http://www.carolans.ie/carolans/the-product.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

the back of their bottle only mentions vodka :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Hi, I revived this post as I'd be interested to hear any update on alternatives to Baileys. In particular, how do they compare for sweetness of taste. Query is from an older person (not me this time) who now finds Baileys to be a bit too sweet, it's her only tipple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Coole Swan is nice alright, not as sweet as Baileys - not cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I had a sample of Kerrygold alternative to Baileys. Was quite nice and export only in the airport, but haven't seen it since. Might be worth keeping an eye out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was quite nice and export only in the airport
    It was only in the duty free before, but was on sale in O Briens at christmas. Not sure if they still have it.

I think even though it was on offer it was twice the price of baileys.

Advertisement