Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Headshot wrote: »
    can i just say learn to type right

it's hard to read your posts

English isn't ShadowHearts first language

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

draffodx wrote: »

my mistake then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Ok so do we agree that this law will have a good effect on keeping the noise from these boy racers cars to a minimum?

karlog wrote: »
    Ok so do we agree that this law will have a good effect on keeping the noise from these boy racers cars to a minimum?

Yes!

if its enforced properly

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭UhOh

dont know if it's been mentioned, I havent read all 9 pages, but surely the Gardai's resources would be better served clamping down all the untaxed, uninsured LHD Eastern European cars on the roads for a start.

Plus the fact from personal experience I find the most dangerous drivers on roads are usually in Passats or some sort of saloon TDI, not boy racers

I drive a car with factory fitted rare tinted windows so I can't see the pigs having a leg to stand on if they say owt, the windscreen & front windows are normal.

• Advertisement

UhOh wrote: »

Plus the fact from personal experience I find the most dangerous drivers on roads are usually in Passats or some sort of saloon TDI, not boy racers

boy racers are easier targets, usually young males who crucially don't have an interest in voting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone here ever out in Australia? "Boy racers" are called "hoons" out there. Must say they were fun to watch. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks, i am trying mine best. Its prety hard for me, allready cheking on spelling in google of some words. :D

Sorry guys, i will learn eventually! ;)

And Karlog, yes it will. But it wount make poeple die less on roads...

About eastern european cars now...

I was driving a lithuanian registration car for 1 year ( when i jus came to ireland, needed car to get to work... I couldnt afford irish car )

Now i had NCt and PROPER insurance on that car. I could drive in all europe with it. Had all irish phone numbers incase of accident etc.

I payed 600eu per year for it,(it was about 3-4 years ago). when ussuall lithuanian insurance( which was used by majority of lithuanians) costed 50eu. Ofcoure this cheap insurance is just a piece of paper here in ireland... It did helped to get away from garda at that time.

Now alot of these lithuanian cars are in really bad condition. Alot of them have fake Ncts, or Ncts which were passed, while car was still in Ireland...
    Now when i say alot, it does not mean all of them!

A lithuanian/polish car is a cheap way to get on road for alot of imigrants. I am not saying its right to have those buckets on the road. But for some poeple who came in to this country with less then 100eu in the pocet its the only way to get to work place! Been there - done that...

Thought as soon as me and misses got few euros we bought irish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 2k9cian2k9

I'd say the goverment are just doing it for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks, i am trying mine best. Its prety hard for me, allready cheking on spelling in google of some words. :D

Sorry guys, i will learn eventually! ;)

shadowhearts ive some advice for ya
    Download firefox browser and then download an add on which corrects spelling,i cant remember the name at the moment but its brilliant,i use it all the time,ill get back to you about the name tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

People seem to be missing the point that it always was illegal to drive a car with an excessively loud exhaust and in fact right now a garda doesn't even need to measure the DB level of the exhaust, if in the garda's opinion the noise is excessive then they can prosecute.

So legislation that means the garda has to actually test the noise level of an exhaust can only be a good thing.

The test takes place at 3.5k revs at a distance of 1 meter from the exhaust so 80 DB is a fairly good limit at that in my opinion.

...nothing personal, but that's bollocks.

Reason is, the only legal noise test your car has to meet is that of TA - Type Approval. That test is only valid in a controlled environment (no other traffic), measured at 90 degrees to the vehicle, travelling at X speed, at X distance from the meter. None of this can be done roadside, and therefore anyone that gets a ticket on this just needs to challenge under EU TA legislation which, btw, takes precedence over a Kit-Kat roadside test.

A car, for example, with engine completely turned off, travelling at about 30, would generate about 70dB. This from tyre noise and wind noise.

Of course, they've missed the other big trick: turbo's run quieter, and there is no measure they can do on INDUCTION noise........ :)

Complete and utter waste of ****ing time and resources, tbh. The only guy laughing at this is the rep who sold them the test equipment.

Top man, btw. :D

Oh, and as for nice/nasty noises - all we have to do is do what both Porsche and Aston offer on their cars - 'active' exhaust - aka, a valve with a button on the dash. On for loud, Off for quiet. You could even make it yourself.

And, for RX-8 and other two-stroke users, just relax in the knowledge that the test - any test - is only dB based, and not frequency (Hz). This is why street-legal mopeds annoy the **** out of people (not me, though..), and illegal H-D's get accepted.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Yes!

if its enforced properly
    karlog wrote: »

Er, like, NO !

...this is a crock full of holes. 'boy' racer vs 'girl' racer. 'boy' vs 'man'. You take your pick.......

I have a nice car, and a H-D - with completely out-of-order pipes, btw - which I've now changed. But I don't think we need this level of nanny-ism.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Er, like, NO !

...this is a crock full of holes. 'boy' racer vs 'girl' racer. 'boy' vs 'man'. You take your pick.......

I have a nice car, and a H-D - with completely out-of-order pipes, btw - which I've now changed. But I don't think we need this level of nanny-ism.

What are you trying to say?

..instead of a fixed dB level set it to say 4dB above factory specification, or ban non factory specification exhausts

you can't - cars are Type Approved by the mfrs for use across all of Europe, and as Happy Little Europeans, you are entitled to buy and use anything or other EU cousins can. Freedom of movement of Goods and Services and all that........ You can't make up your own local laws for TA. The Germans have an enormous car industry,and car modification industry too btw, that works well, and that includes having 'fruity' exhausts. Once your pipe has an ECE or TuV or whatever stamp, they can't touch you or it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I don't see any mention of loud motorcycles :)

"Loud pipes saves lives" :D

re tinted windows, Gardai should concentrate on idiots that use sub standard tinted helmet visors.

aye, will this affect bikes? if so im ****ed since i have a loud racing pipe on one of mine,

weeder wrote: »
    aye, will this affect bikes? if so im ****ed since i have a loud racing pipe on one of mine,

Nah their cracking down on boy racers not boy bikers

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it's loud, by dint of it operating in a different frequency range compared to lower rpm cars, and Scooby's in particular, it's the car that'll annoy them more..........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

There's me and my Impreza screwed then, not my fault it's loud, that's the way it was made :rolleyes:

What are they going to do with all the factory stock cars that are loud :confused:

By the way, not all modified car owners are "boy racers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

None of this law currently affects me but I wouldn't worry about it anyway, the same crap has been coming up on forums time and time again for at least the last 6 years or so about new laws that have come in or changes to the NCT that have never happened (most of these are talk of exhaust db checks which appear in the paper and are enforceable by law).
    This is never going to happen, ye might hear of the odd gob****e that gets done once every year but he's probably a lad their desperate to do.
    I've heard mention of driving to the Dail in protest etc.. in the past but in all honesty these laws will never affect ye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

colly10 wrote: »
    This is never going to happen
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen, maybe it was an "An Bord Snip Nua" recommendation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭colly10

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen, maybe it was an "An Bord Snip Nua" recommendation :rolleyes:

Im just saying a **** load of these laws have been and gone and it always used to boil my blood, id be shocked if this was any different. It always looks like the big crackdown and they interview one senior guard so it's big news... it's all the same, will never happen. This looks official, but it's no more official than the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They won't catch me :D

Thise on loud skutters and harleys will have to worry .

colly10 wrote: »
    Im just saying a **** load of these laws have been and gone and it always used to boil my blood, id be shocked if this was any different. It always looks like the big crackdown and they interview one senior guard so it's big news... it's all the same, will never happen. This looks official, but it's no more official than the others

except this time theres a tender out for a company to supply the db readers and train the gardai in the use of them.

also this is a wording of a summons that someone currently gets for having a loud exhaust without the need for a reading to be taken place.
    That you did on "whatever date" at "whatever place", a public place in the Court area and District aforesaid being the user of mechanically propelled vehicle to wit motor car registration no "xxxxx" while the silencer system of the said system of the said vehicle was altered in such a way that the noise caused by the escape of the exhaust gases was made by the alteration. Contrary to Article 34(2) (e) of the Road Traffic Act (Construction, Equipment and Use of vehicles(Regulations 1963 as amended(made under the Road Traffic Act 1961)(as amended by Section 6 Road Traffic Act 1968) and Section 102 Road Traffic Act 1961 (as amended by Section 2 Road Traffic (Amendment) Act 1984.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Arathorn wrote: »
    That's as much a generalisation as saying all boyracers are dangerous

thats why i made the statement

i actually like golfs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I'll post this article again so people can read it again.
    GARDAI are to launch a major crackdown on boy racers and will prosecute owners of cars fitted with loud engines and excessively tinted windows.

Yesterday, senior officers warned owners of modified cars they have until the end of the year to comply with regulations or face fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months in prison.

Gardai will use a special machine -- a Glass Tint Meter -- to measure the amount of natural light coming into cars which must be at least 75pc for windscreens and 70pc for the rest of the car windows. They will also use a machine to measure the level of engine noise.

The warning came on the same day that the Road Safety Authority (RSA) launched its 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign, which calls on women not to get into a car with males who drive dangerously.

Road casualty statistics from the RSA show that over two-thirds (67pc) of female passengers killed in the 10-year period 1998 to 2007 were being driven by a male driver.

Boy racers are notorious for driving souped-up cars with loud exhausts and blacked-out windows and are a source of intimidation for other road users.

Owners are generally young men, who comprise most victims in fatal road collisions.

By law, the maximum engine noise allowed is 80 decibels -- which equates to the noise in a busy street -- with sounds louder than this level considered dangerous to hearing. Windscreen and passenger and driver doors cannot be blackened.

The Sound Level Meters and Glass Tint Meters will measure the amount of noise generated by engines and check if windows are excessively tinted. The crackdown is expected to begin by the end of the year.

"There's the issue of complaints and their own safety," Assistant Commissioner Eddie Rock said. "They'll (boy racers) have the opportunity to rectify their cars. It's not in our interest to take people to court, but we will if necessary."

Gardai have also sought machines for reading digital tachograph machines installed on trucks which measure the number of hours driven. This will allow them to prosecute drivers found to be breaking the law by driving excessive number of hours. Fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months' imprisonment can be imposed.

Dangerously

Yesterday, Rose of Tralee Aoife Kelly launched the RSA's 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign, which calls on women not to get into a car with males who drive dangerously.

An occupational therapist at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire, Ms Kelly helps people overcome serious spinal and brain injuries sustained in car crashes.

"Ladies, you need to take a stand and not get into a car with a guy with a need for speed and a blatant disregard for his own and other people's right to life. It's a simple choice -- live or die," she said.

"Reckless driving is not impressive and people do not realise the consequences of such crazy behaviour until they attend a funeral of a family member, best friend, or a lost loved one. It's time we woke up to the reality of the situation. People die, not to mention the many people who are admitted to hospital daily with serious injury, some with little or no memory, who are unable to live a normal life."

RSA chief executive Noel Brett added that males were "massively over-represented" as the drivers involved in crashes, accounting for 80pc of all motorists in fatal collisions.

Other than it's a poorly written article. Can someone please point out and quote where exactly it's stated that Gardai are linking Loud engines/exhausts to road deaths please. Simple answer they are not.

What this is all about is Compliance to the law and causing a nuisance to others.

Everyone is entitled to peace and quiet. Everyone accepts a small intrusion into that peace and quiet. But when your sitting at home or lying in bed and there are cars in my case on roads 300-400m away racing up and down and going around your village by-pass 500-600m away and you can hear every gear change and pop of the rev limiter then I'm sorry that is beyond acceptable tolerance limits.

Please note I have not mentioned any specific type of vehicle I'm going to steer clear of that thorny issue.

I have this link to relative dB noise levels. Rather than just saying like some that "Jesus but 80dB is not loud".

http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm

If a car sitting by the side of the road has very dark tinted windows so much so that even during day time you cannot see inside then it is not complying with the law. Its doesn't matter who is driving the car. I would be dumbstruck if a car maker will produce and sell a car in a local market with ILLEGALLY tinted glass.

window%20tint%20tester.jpg

The point has been well made by now in that if you can't see in then its nearly certain that you can't see out especially at night and in poor light therefore increasing your chances of being involved in an accident in such conditions.

Will this purge our roads of loud and noisy cars and tinted windows, probably not. But what it will do is formalise the rules and regulations and provide the Gardai with a benchmark to check cars for compliance to the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The point has been well made by now in that if you can't see in then its nearly certain that you can't see out especially at night

but that's simply not true. have you ever had a car with tinted windows?

If someone's wearing sunglasses, you can't see their eyes, does that mean they can't see you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Headshot wrote: »
    shadowhearts ive some advice for ya
    Download firefox browser and then download an add on which corrects spelling,i cant remember the name at the moment but its brilliant,i use it all the time,ill get back to you about the name tomorrow

Only if you spell in the American style.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If someone's wearing sunglasses, you can't see their eyes, does that mean they can't see you?

Good point but you dont see people driving at night with sunglasses on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

colm_mcm wrote: »
    but that's simply not true. have you ever had a car with tinted windows?

No but I work in a building with tinted windows and have been in others with tinted windows and I can promise you that you are NOT getting the same amount of light passing through the windows as without Tinted glass.

As someone else just posted, you don't wear sunglasses at night. The difference being at least with sunglasses you can see the head point your direction it may not be looking AT you but at least you know they have looked your way unlike with tinted glass you don't even have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

With all the talk of cutbacks its great to see money being wasted on tintometers, so people with paranoia can force young people off the road.

What difference does it make the level of tinting on a window?

As for noise, I have two neighbours one who has a Harley the other an Aston Martin, both are louder than the kid with the body modified integra. But you all know who will be tested once the money is wasted on sound meters and tintometers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement