Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

M&S! *dream*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

M&S and HMV are just a dream I think, can't see them opening in Sligo anytime in the near future.
    Pulse Accessories are opening where the Bag Shop was. Bit of competition now for Claires Accessories as they will be opposite each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Pulse & Claires don't really sell the same stuff though.

Claires is a lot more for kids (although if you can find something wearable in there it's probably dirt cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Xiney wrote: »
    Pulse & Claires don't really sell the same stuff though.

Claires is a lot more for kids (although if you can find something wearable in there it's probably dirt cheap)

it is not only kids stuff. one part of the shop is kids and the other one is just normal stuff for teenager, adults...

Oh goes to show how often I go into those shops then!

• Advertisement

There is a new furniture store opening up in the Retail Park, guess it's good news.
    Also M&S have enquired about opening a store there, which Jimmmy can't believe but it's true, however it was turned down and rejected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

bobcar61 wrote: »
    There is a new furniture store opening up in the Retail Park, guess it's good news.
    Also M&S have enquired about opening a store there, which Jimmmy can't believe but it's true, however it was turned down and rejected :(

Was there official reasons for the application being turned down?

I think it was for the same reason as Argos not been allowed to open up there.

If Zavvi was a 2 floor unit, it would be perfect for M&S but it's probably a little bit to small as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Do you know if the furniture store is Cost Plus Sofas? Which unit are they taking over?

It's going into where land of leather was. One of the lads in work told me there was a sign with the name of the shop that going in but I didn't see it and he can't remember the name of the shop.

• Advertisement

Cost plus are advertising for staff on the net at the min so I guess its probably them. I was sure they would take over the old classic unit which is what they did in carrickmines.

At least they are opening, good sign and good news on the jobs front :)

True. Im not so sure about Heatons anymore collins mc have pulled the add for staff from their website so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Not another furniture store. I think there are way too many of them in Sligo.
    As I said on the other thread I think whoever turned M&S down needs their heads testing.
    So many people losing their jobs and here is a company willing to come into Sligo and employ people but they get turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

magnumlady wrote: »
    Not another furniture store. I think there are way too many of them in Sligo.

If you do not want it, do'nt worry, it will probably close down like other ones which opened in Carraroe in recent years. I think any business which provides jobs is good, as long as it is in accordinace with the law ( and the county development plan). I hope they do well wherever they are. Its sad for people to see businesses closing.
    As I said on the other thread I think whoever turned M&S down needs their heads testing.

Ret assured nobody turned down M+S coming to Sligo...in fact M+S would be welcomed with open arms if it ever came to Sligo. It may yet happen there are many possible sites which would be in accordance with the development plan and planning permission. All M+S have to do is make the decision to come and they will come. They came wihin walking distance of Enniskillen town centre, Galway city centre...lets hope they come to Sligo....it would help cement Sligo as the capital of the north-west. They would probably be here already if only Sligo had not been so badly planned with warehouse "retail" parks miles away from each other and the town centre, and for the fact the population is relatively small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

jimmmy wrote: »
    If you do not want it, do'nt worry, it will probably close down like other ones which opened in Carraroe in recent years. I think any business which provides jobs is good, as long as it is in accordinace with the law ( and the county development plan). I hope they do well wherever they are. Its sad for people to see businesses closing.

Ret assured nobody turned down M+S coming to Sligo...in fact M+S would be welcomed with open arms if it ever came to Sligo. It may yet happen there are many possible sites which would be in accordance with the development plan and planning permission. All M+S have to do is make the decision to come and they will come. They came wihin walking distance of Enniskillen town centre, Galway city centre...lets hope they come to Sligo....it would help cement Sligo as the capital of the north-west. They would probably be here already if only Sligo had not been so badly planned with warehouse "retail" parks miles away from each other and the town centre, and for the fact the population is relatively small.

Yawn, we know where you stand on the retail park. No need to keep repeating your self.

Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though.

Yawn, we know where you stand on the retail park..

yawn, the point is not what I think of Carraroe "retail" park or any other retail park elsewhere, its to do with planning permission / the county development plan and the fact there was never any question of M+S going to Carraroe, even if they wanted to.
    Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though.
    do not know what you mean ; the locations of m+s are consistent.

do not know what you mean ; the locations of m+s are consistent.

You don't remember your own posts? It was the one of the few times you were not repeating your self.

I think the planning rule for Carraroe needs to be changed and quickly.
    They need to look at Carrick put a supermarket there (any supermarket) and try and revive the retail park.
    It's a crying shame to see all the empty units.

You don't remember your own posts? .
    Of course I remember my own posts. Show me what you mean by your statement "Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though." ?

• Advertisement

I think the planning rule for Carraroe needs to be changed and quickly..

two bad decisions will not make a good one. As some germans said to me recently, when they saw the newly created sprawl half way between Sligo and Ballisodare ( as viewed from the top of Knocknarea ) "zat vould not be allowed in Germany ...it should be bulldozed and made green again !"

They need to look at Carrick put a supermarket there (any supermarket) and try and revive the retail park..
    There is a supermarket in Carrick
    It's a crying shame to see all the empty units.
    all over the country there are empty units in every town. No need to build more town centres half an hours walk from existing town centres.

Anyway this thread is about stores opening or re-opening, lets not derail the discussion too much. I hope plenty of stores open / re-open.

I'm not saying build anymore units Jimmmy. I'm saying use some of the existing ones for a supermarket.
    By mentioning Carrick I know there is a supermarket there, that's why Sligo need to do the same.
    Carrick is thriving....Sligo isn't.

I'm not saying build anymore units Jimmmy. I'm saying use some of the existing ones for a supermarket.
    It will never happen in Carraroe, half an hours walk from the existing town centre....otherwise developers would be building on every green field a few miles from every town centre in the country + making new town centres ! Some respect has to be kept for county development plans....which are very detailed and informative publications which experts and those responsible spent years establishing.

Of course I remember my own posts. Show me what you mean by your statement "Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though." ?

either you don't want to understand or you really don't know what you post.

Ret assured nobody turned down M+S coming to Sligo...in fact M+S would be welcomed with open arms if it ever came to Sligo.

Actually they were turned down, they wanted to open in the Retail Park but the chamber said no. I take it that means they were turned down. Do you?

It will never happen in Carraroe, half an hours walk from the existing town centre....otherwise developers would be building on every green field a few miles from every town centre in the country + making new town centres ! Some respect has to be kept for county development plans....which are very detailed and informative publications which experts and those responsible spent years establishing.

Same old argument Jimmmy.
    How come Carrick retail park is doing so well then and it's not in the town?
    Same could be said for Longfords Lidl and Argos....not in the town either.

either you don't want to understand or you really don't know what you post.

With due respect, your statement ""Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though." does not make sense in the English language, and you have failed to explain what you mean.

Same old argument Jimmmy.
    How come Carrick retail park is doing so well then and it's not in the town?

Its a lot closer to the town centre / the main thoughfare through the town ( the N4 Sligo/Dublin road ) than Carraroe retail park is to Sligo town centre.

With due respect, your statement ""Glad you adjusted your locations of M&S though." does not make sense in the English language, and you have failed to explain what you mean.

I knew what he was sayin and I don't speak Dutch:D So it must have been in English.

• Advertisement

Actually they were turned down,
    By the Borough Council presumably, as it would contravene planning laws and the county Development plan. Quite correct if M+S did look to open in the Carroe warehouse park, which I doubt in the first place.
    they wanted to open in the Retail Park

Half the park has closed down, I am sure M+S are wise enough to see it has failed to attract the crowds. Besides, in other towns of 19,000 people , M+S do not locate a few miles away from the town centre.

but the chamber said no.
    The chamber are not the ones to decide.

Advertisement