Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to bring to the gaeltacht?

• 23-06-2009 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Like it says...
    Going to the gaeltacht for the first time in a few weeks and have to start gathering stuff together to bring...
    Could anybody give me some tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

BoggledOut wrote: »
    Like it says...
    Going to the gaeltacht for the first time in a few weeks and have to start gathering stuff together to bring...

Bring what you'd bring to any other part of the country, plus a dictionary and a notepad and pen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

What Micilin Muc said, and also bring stuff for the fancy dress nights!
    Don't forget sun cream either...
    And an adaptor is handy if you're a girl, because sometimes there's only one socket in the room and you can imagine the queue to use straighteners/hair-dryers before a céilí :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

If you play music, bring the instrument with ya!
    A pretty notebook for the goodbye notes - you'll be glad you brought one.

Enjoy- you'll have the craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Your best chatup lines for those gorgeous women ;)

But yeah, as pog it said - instrument is a must! Nothing like a few beers and an auld session.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

raingear!Check the course policy re phones,ghds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

midget repellent of some variety

drink? (depending on age, ar ndóigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Instrument, (Guitarists, etc are usually the very popular ones on the course ;)).
    If you can juggle, dance,etc don't be afraid to release your inhibitions. They can come in handy in drama, and talent shows.
    Fancy dress... Stuff you can fit easily into different situations. I remember in mine (Col. Lurgan) there were themed ceilithe.. County colours (recommended), tranny (Basically guys wore girls clothes and vice versa lol), beach themed (Lifeguard, surfer dude/babe)....
    Bring your swimming gear...even if you are not planning to swim.
    A few packs of your favourite sweets, just in case you are hungry and to share with roomies, if you want.
    A mobile phone, books and magazines, if you are willing to risk it.
    Pen, paper, notebook (At the end particularly girls you can write notes, random stuff, memories, etc in them)
    Also open mind/attitude... You should be fine in general.

Have a brilliant time doing...agus ag cleachtadh Gaeilge. Slan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

Dia duit,

Le agahaidh an gaeltacht, go leor eadai, hata, lynx, uachtar greine,
    De gnath nil cead fon poca ar na gcursai ach breathann se ar an colaiste. Nuair a bhi me colaiste na bhfiann, nil cead fon poca no focloir! Feach ar na rialacha riomh an gcursa!

Ach an rud is tabhtacht bainn taitneamh as!!:cool:

Slan agus go n-eiri an t-adh leat!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Thug leat beagán cop on.

Tá crowd scolairí ag fanacht i mo theach, tá siad chomh thick leis an mballa.

AGUS fág an "oh mo dhia" **** sin sa mbaile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

BoggledOut wrote: »
    Like it says...

A strong heart. Bain taitneamh as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

a stab proof vest,as it has been reported in the herald that a student was threatened with a knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

like the hundred of cases outside the gaeltachtaí?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Is aoibhinn liom gaeilge

Hey well I'm just back from the Gaeltacht and I have to say it was the best 3 weeks of my life so far I absolutely LOVED it :D okay when packing for the Gaeltacht I would bring 2-3 weeks worth of underwear a good few bras (that's if your a girl) swim wear 2 pairs of shorts and a t shirt you wouldn't mind swimming in! In the morning you will have classes for about 2 and a half hours somjust casual and comfy clothes like jeans or leggins with a t shirt and a Cardigan or a hoodie or even a tracksuit! then you will head home for dinner and have about an our to yourself and will more than likely have sports in the afternoon for that just wear comfy clothes again like a tracksuit or leggins and a hoodie whatever suits you! You will go home then for supper and have about 2hours to yourself :) in the evening you will have a ceili so wear jeans and a dressy t shirt but nothing too warm because you will be dancing.. Bring sandals runners and flip-flops and bring one pair of high heels for the last night for the big ceili everyone gets dressed up for that so bring a dress or something like that :) bring a rain jacket cause there will probably be a day out and we are in Ireland so it's nearly guaranteed to rain while your there :) if you play a musical instrument bring it it comes in handy if if you don't really want to play it.. I didn't really want to play mine and I had the choice to play whenever I wanted and if you don't play it in the Irish college you will more than likely have some craic with it at the house!! bring a good few towels at least 2 for the shower and one for the beach. Bring a few snacks for the room too because some bean an tí can be bad cooks or not nice but usually overall there all have reasonable cooking and are not too mean! My bean an tí was the nicest woman ever and she was a brilliant cook! I was so upset saying bye to her :) bring after sun suncream about €70 or €80 just incase! a copy a folder without pollypockets the envelope style folders, a focloir 2 or 3 biros i found the 4 coloured biro very good! Sunglasses make p remover make up plasters a hot water bottle sudo creme bongela painkiller/panadol just incase you need them or someone else in your house does!! Shampoo conditioner hairbrush phone iPod iPod speakers if you have them a camera and your phone and dont forget all your chargers and make sure to have credit in your phone! At my Irish college there were themed ceilis like black and white night, pj night, county colours, fancy dress, couples night and the big ceili on the last night when everyone got dressed up in nice clothes and dresses! If you have face paints bring them they are a must have really if you want to win on the dress up nights :) one tip for the Gaeltacht your outfit can never ever be too wild or weird :D have fun it will be brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ella suzey

Hi im going to gaeltacht thanks so much for telling me what to bring because i really needed to know I HOPE I HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!just one question should i bring my phone the gaeltacht the one im going to is really strict if they find my phone i will have to go home should i bring it????????????:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

ella suzey wrote: »
    Hi im going to gaeltacht thanks so much for telling me what to bring because i really needed to know I HOPE I HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!just one question should i bring my phone the gaeltacht the one im going to is really strict if they find my phone i will have to go home should i bring it????????????:)
    Tá súil agam go mbeidh am iontach agat, freisin!!!
    About the phone, I think you've answered yourself there, somehow.
    Because even if they don't find it, you'll be worried they will, which will probably make you uneasy and so you won't enjoy it as much as you could!

hi im going to the gaeltacht and im scard because im going alone the gaeltacht im going to Is colaiste na acla im kind of uneasy I can still like stop because I have not sined up yet so I would like to know what u think I will be doing the 6th and 1styear course and im going into 6th this year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

For the love of God, use proper punctuation.

Please just help I need to know by tomorrow and sorry about all the wrong spellings because my computer is really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chloe Zung

Did you end up going? I’m enrolled in Is colaiste (in dingle) I’m wondering what exactly happens, what the rooms/dorms are like and what happens with showers. Are they communal or are the private to your room?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Are you talking about Coláiste Íde? I had a quick look at their brochure and there is no mention of ensuite showers so bring your flip-flops. Juniors Certs get their own pod within a dormitory. Leaving Certs are in open dorms unless they request a pod.

"Codlaíonn bliain a 1, 2 & 3 i suanliosanna de ghnáth, mar a bhfuil cillíní suanleasa indibhidiúla, a bhfuil leaba 3 throigh iontu, deasc staidéir, cóifrín cois leapan, doirteal, scáthán agus vardrús le glas. Tá seomraí dúbailte/ tríaracha ar fáil do dheirfiúracha ar iarratas. Codlaíonn bliain a 5 & 6 i suanliosanna níos oscailte, de ghnáth, ach tá fáil ar chillín suanleasa d’aon scoláire le codladh ann más mian leo ar iarratas ón leasbhainisteoir. Cheart an limistéir codlata a choimeád glan, néata i gcónaí. Tá vardrús le glas ar fáil do gach scoláire. Tá solas léitheoireachta i ngach suanlios agus is féidir úsáid a bhaint as nuair a múchtar na soilse gach oíche. Toisc gurb é seo spás pearsanta gach scoláire, spreagtar iad chun an spás a mhaisiú le hearraí pearsanta chun cuma an bhaile a chur ar an spás."

• Advertisement

I’m definitely one for getting dressed up every day of the week but in the brochures everyone is just in leggings and top and flats. Is there a dress code ?

Advertisement