Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls, Baskets and Cats on a Bus.

• 04-07-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

5 girls are travelling by bus, each girl has 5 baskets, each basket has 5 cats and each cat has 5 small cats. The bus stops and one girl gets off. How many legs on the bus?

Only answers I can get are 3010 and 2410, depending on whether or not the girl brings her baskets and cats with her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

It depends if the girl takes her baskets with her, as in if the baskets are attached to the girl

Assuming their not and just the two legs get off, my answer is 2998.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

30 cats in one basket?
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TheManWho wrote: »
    It depends if the girl takes her baskets with her, as in if the baskets are attached to the girl

Assuming their not and just the two legs get off, my answer is 2998.

How? 150 cats in each basket = 600 legs. Times 5 is 3000, add the 8 legs for the other girls and 2 legs for the driver and ya have 3010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MemoirsOfAGaysh

no cheating on tv3 games!

lol i'm trying to cheat too...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

4 girls = 20 baskets = 100 cats = 500 small cats

100 cats = 400 legs
    500 small = 2000 legs
    4 girls = 8 legs
    driver = 2 legs

2410 legs.

• Advertisement

Apparently the answer was

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

*I've edited my post to avoid any possible libellous comments which may gets boards in trouble*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

amacachi wrote: »
    Apparently the answer was

how?i was watching this last nite until 1sh ,i was convinced the answer was 2410

jackncoke wrote: »
    how?

Believe me, I'd love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Buses don't have legs. Buses have wheels. Most buses have 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 adecca

Does anyone actually know that answer and how they got it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If it's 2910.

Then 2910 - 4 girls - 1 driver = 2910 cat legs (big and small)

2910 / 4 = 725 cats

therefore there's

145 big cats = 580 legs
    580 small cats = 2320 legs

580 + 2320 + 8 girl legs + 2 driver legs = 2910

How they got those cat numbers is beyond me though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

irish_goat wrote: »
    If it's 2910.

Then 2910 - 4 girls - 1 driver = 2910 cat legs (big and small)

2910 / 4 = 725 cats

therefore there's

145 big cats = 580 legs
    580 small cats = 2320 legs

580 + 2320 + 8 girl legs + 2 driver legs = 2910

How they got those cat numbers is beyond me though...

If one girl got off bringing one basket with her. you would lose

5 (cats) x 5 (small) x 4(legs) = 100

Does it work out now??

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Quote removed at Timbuk2's request - Blisterman

Deffo. However, more fool him for wasting that much money on such garbage. (I can totally see the attraction though!)

Much like the one with the triangles, they seem to sucker ya in with a seemingly innocuous question, which, upon further inspection can be interpreted in many different ways, e.g. is there a driver?, cats have paws, not legs, does the girl take the baskets off with her? there's no legs "on" a bus, etc. ad nauseum.

Here's my thoughts on the subject:

5girls
    =25 baskets
    =125 cats
    =625 kittens

total: 5 girls and 750 cats

=10 legs + 3000 legs

gives 3010. (possibly 3012 including driver?)

now here's the murky bit:

1. taking the question at face value, one girls getting off gives 3008 (3010 with driver)

2. girl gets off and takes baskets with her: 1girl=5baskets=25cats=125kittens
    gives 150 x 4 + 2 = 602

3010-602 = 2408 (2410 with driver)

3. (which i think is the answer) the girl could take the 5 baskets off with her with just the 5 cats each giving 25 cats or 100 legs + 2 for the girl herself.

3012 (total at the start plus driver) - 102 = 2910

If ya look at the wording, the question says "each basket has 5 cats and each cat has 5 small cats" i.e. it doesnt say that the small cats are in the baskets, just the 5 cats.

Its a serious stretch to make a good argument for any outcome tbh, as is the inclusion of a driver, because if the driver can be included, then why not some other passengers, or other animals etc.?

to summarise: wishy-washy, badly-defined garbage that can be interpreted any number of ways to suit the producers themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnniekipper

Same as the triangles. We really have to bring this show to the attention of the public and the broadcasting complaints commission. It needs to be taken off the air. I can't believe it can be legal. Remember all the fuss when Blue Peter was found to have done a scam. We need to do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Quote removed at Timbuk2's request - Blisterman

The rules state that a person may not call the show more than 50 times per day nor more than 300 times per month.

http://www.playtvireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,280 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, every basket has 30 cats in it, so that would be 120 legs per basket.

Every girl has five baskets and two legs of her own, so that would be 602 legs for each girl.

If one gets off and the other four remain, that would be 2408, or 3008 if the fifth girl left her baskets on the bus.

But there might be other people on the bus, for sure a driver, although it it was me or you, we would probably have got off the stop after the girls got on, so I suppose the answer could be 2408 + 2x where x is the number of people on the bus.

But what if one of the kittens was born three-legged? Ya never know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

deisemum wrote: »
    The rules state that a person may not call the show more than 50 times per day nor more than 300 times per month.

http://www.playtvireland.com/

*Shrug* 57 times is what the Sunday Tribune reported. Of course it is possible that it was not the same phone used all 57 times, which would explain why he exceeded the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

I don't think we're allowed discuss PlayTV on boards.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=227 (posted in the Television forum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

This post has been deleted.

i reckon i have the answer on page 1, not totally sure but i think its right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I don't think we're allowed discuss PlayTV on boards.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=227 (posted in the Television forum)

Oh come on - this is the only place I can come to to see if I got the question right (which is unlikely) cos I have to go to bed early for work.

no more playtv talk tyvm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement