Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics on TV

• 13-06-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

After spending many Friday nights last summer flicking between CSI and other such gripping programmes :rolleyes: before stubling onto Eurosport to catch the closing edits of a Golden League meeting and realising that I missed another one, I thought it might be a good idea to have an Athletics on TV thread, so that if someone is aware that athletics is going to be on the telly they post details of the time and channel.

Kicking off:

Tomorrow Sun 14th June, Golden League, Berlin, Setanta Ireland 2.00pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

a handy website got in work that will tell you any athletics for the following week in advance and what channel it on

http://livesportontv.com/athletics

here others coming up this week:
    Wed 17th
    17:00 Ostrava, Czech Republic IAAF Grand Prix Golden Spike British Eurosport (17:00-19:30)

plus Sat and Sun next week:
    Sat 20th
    15:25 European Team Championship European Team Championship BBC2 (15:25-19:30)
    British Eurosport (16:00-19:15)
    Sunday 21st
    15:30 European Team Championship European Team Championship BBC2 (15:30-19:30)
    British Eurosport (15:30-19:20)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

With setanta in a spot of bother, will setanta ireland still be showing the golden league meets?

Anyone know when the next one is on?

Edit - Fri 3rd July, Oslo, 7.00pm setanta ireland (fingers crossed).

as far as i know the deak for the golden league coverage was done ages ago and as such payments already completed so i think we are safe for now

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Good to see Setanta showed the All Ireland Schools "track and field" championships in Tullamore today. Was down there watching it a few weeks ago, so was great to watch it on the telly !

epo addict wrote: »
    Good to see Setanta showed the All Ireland Schools "track and field" championships in Tullamore today. Was down there watching it a few weeks ago, so was great to watch it on the telly !

They did a three or four part series on it over the last few days. Pity the schools is the only coverage they show i mean every year always school nothing for juniors or u23s bit strange

• Advertisement

According to Ian O' Riordan in todays Indo " RTE are not covering" this summers world track & field championships in Berlin.

I'm shocked at this!
    All the coverage they give the GAA it's a disgrace.
    I've heard from a good source that Gerry Kiernan has offered his services for free and get RTE to use a live feed from the BBC. RTE still said no !

They are cutting costs and athletics is the big loser here:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Caught the end of the Cork Marathon coverage on Setanta last night and there was Woddle almost crouched on the Finish Line - well done bro!

epo addict wrote: »
    According to Ian O' Riordan in todays Indo " RTE are not covering" this summers world track & field championships in Berlin.

I'm shocked at this!
    All the coverage they give the GAA it's a disgrace.
    I've heard from a good source that Gerry Kiernan has offered his services for free and get RTE to use a live feed from the BBC. RTE still said no !

They are cutting costs and athletics is the big loser here:mad:

That is crazy like this the pinnacle of the sport bar the olympics and they rather have on repeats of Dallas or Murder she Wrote. They will be slatted if there are some good performances from the irish team especially when we get out of the recession might be hard for RTE to get coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Stunned that there wont be coverage of World Championships on rte but its no loss(reason below)...Eurosport and BBC will carry it all.

Cant say im surprized,there is one athletics commentator on rte and he is so droll,he is usually posted on the heats coverage..cant listen to him.Also why the big fuss that they arent carrying it...didnt Derval O'Rourke refuse a post race interview in Beijing?
    Hats off to Jerry Kiernan though for his offer.

You can get full Golden League coverage on UniversalSports.tv or .com....have a search around the sight.Full commentary.They also show some domestic U.S meets and have some sweet volleyball pics in the gallery of hotties(it exists!)

Enjoy!

universalsports.com it still has the full Berlin meet with Stewart Dickinson and the eurosport guy commentating.
    Awesome site!

• Advertisement

Stunned that there wont be coverage of World Championships on rte but its no loss(reason below)...Eurosport and BBC will carry it all.

Cant say im surprized,there is one athletics commentator on rte and he is so droll,he is usually posted on the heats coverage..cant listen to him.Also why the big fuss that they arent carrying it...didnt Derval O'Rourke refuse a post race interview in Beijing?

You can get full Golden League coverage on UniversalSports.tv or .com....have a search around the sight.Full commentary.They also show some domestic U.S meets and have some sweet volleyball pics in the gallery of hotties(it exists!)

Enjoy!

I would say that it is a big loss where we need to focus on building an irish fan base. Sure it is accessible for us in the sport f we look for it but we need to be showing people that are athletes are able to perform at the highest levels especially if we are hoping to draw any bit of a crowd to the XC in Santry this year. This announcement couldnt have happened in a worse year for us i feel

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Caught the end of the Cork Marathon coverage on Setanta

Tonight 21:30 Bord Gais Energy Marathon
    All the action from the Bord Gais Energy Marathon in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

With setanta in a spot of bother, will setanta ireland still be showing the golden league meets?

Anyone know when the next one is on?

Edit - Fri 3rd July, Oslo, 7.00pm setanta ireland (fingers crossed).

Still on the Setanta Ireland schedule as of today.

For any middle / long distance running fans this is a must. The women's 5000m is going to kick ass. Dibaba, Defar, Cheruiyot and Melkamu! Both Defar and Dibaba have set 5000m world records on this track.

Iaaf.org reckons it could be the "best women’s 5000m race ever assembled".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

I said before, no RTE at worlds is a blessing if it means no Jerry Kiernan. Potential RTE studio discussion in Berlin:

Gillick runs 43.44 to win silver behind Merritt who runs 42.98 but beats Wariner and Gillick now the 4th fastest man ever.....

Bill O' Herlihy "I put it to you that David Gillick is now one of the greatest sprinters in the world and probably Ireland's best athlete since, since you Eamon"

Jerry K "Bill. I'm an anorak and I know every athlete in the world. This fellow that beat him, I think his parents are Nigerian and that explains a lot, but I've never heard of him, Bill"

Bill "I think he is Olympic champion, Jerry"

Jerry "Bill, I know that. But Gillick, Bill, he doesn't have the speed. There are hundreds of guys in America who can run 43 seconds for a 400, hundreds"

Bill "Eamon, you want to come in there?"

Eamon "When I won the World Championships in 1983 in Helsinki, Finland I got a huge sense of elation that after all the years of frustration that this was it"

Bill "Jerry?"

Jerry "He is too slow, Bill. Gillick needs to move up to 800"

Bill "okey, dokey"

and then we'd cut to Eileen O' Keefe leaving the circle shaking her head having missed her throw.

I'll miss it.

911sc wrote: »
    Tonight 21:30 Bord Gais Energy Marathon
    All the action from the Bord Gais Energy Marathon in Cork city.
    Watched it yesterday and enjoyed the coverage on Setanta.
    Standard of athletes in the race was shocking !

Well done Tingle...is it bad that i was putting on the Jkiernan accent when reading that..
    He does come out with awful drivel and i was just complimenting him on his supposed offer of no fee.
    I will never be a Jk supporter after an undeserved attack on James Nolan a few years back.

Just checked again and anyone without setanta can watch universalsports.com for full coverage of golden league meets.
    Enjoy

Last weekend, the Ireland team gained promotion to the second division of the new European Team Championship. (Not that you would heard much about it. RTÉ, as we know, are effectively ignoring the sport this summer. And by the way, the collapse of the British end of Setanta means no more Golden League meetings on Irish TV.)'

an article in the times on the 27th of this month...no setanta athletics :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭hurdler2009

The Golden League in Oslo is to be shown on British Eurosport tommorow night instead of Setanta. Talks are ongoing between the IAAF and Eurosport as to wheather or not Eurosport will show the rest of the Golden Leagues this season.

http://www.iaaf.org/GLE09/news/newsid=51452.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Thanks for that hurdler. I don't have Setanta, so will be glad to see the Golden League meets on Eurosport if they are going to cointinue to cover them. They already cover other track meets, and various city marathons throughout the year. The commentators are quite knowledgeable and impartial, which helps.

• Advertisement

The Golden League in Oslo is to be shown on British Eurosport tommorow night instead of Setanta. Talks are ongoing between the IAAF and Eurosport as to wheather or not Eurosport will show the rest of the Golden Leagues this season.

http://www.iaaf.org/GLE09/news/newsid=51452.html

Really happy i got a new upgraded dodgy box as i'm looking forward to watching this !

Not strictly tv i know but here is a list of the events streamed this summer by universal sports

Fri, July 03 Bislett Games Oslo/Bislett Norway
    Tue, July 07 Athletissima 2009 Lausanne Switzerland
    Fri, July 10 Golden Gala Rome Italy
    Fri, July 17 Meeting Paris Saint-DenisParis/Saint St. Denis France
    Fri, July 24 IAAF Super GP Day 1 London Great Britain
    Sat, July 25 IAAF Super GP Day 2 London Great Britain
    Tue, July 28 IAAF Super GP Day 1 Monte Carlo Monaco
    Fri, July 31 IAAF Super GP Day 1 Stockholm Sweden
    Aug 15 - Aug 23 IAAF World Athletics Championships Berlin Germany
    Fri, Aug 28 IAAF GL Weltklasse Zurich` Zurich Switzerland
    Fri, Sep 04 IAAF GL Memorial Van Damme Brussels Belgium

Free service and live have found this website great for coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Irishathlete_1

After the collapse of Setanta, the IAAF have reached an agreement with Eurosport to broadcast tonights events. Coverage is from 8pm.

Enjoy!

After the collapse of Setanta, the IAAF have reached an agreement with Eurosport to broadcast tonights events. Coverage is from 8pm.

Enjoy!

I thought that Setanta only lost broaadcasting rights for Britain i thought you could still get it on Setanta Ireland as well as Eurosport?

Quick update on events to come in the next 2 weeks

Thursday 9th July
    16:45 Day 2 IAAF Youth World Championships British Eurosport (16:45-18:30)
    Friday 10th July
    16:45 Day 3 IAAF Youth World Championships British Eurosport (16:45-18:00)
    Saturday 11th July
    14:00 English Schools Athletics Championships English Schools Athletics Championships Sky Sports 2 (14:00-17:55)
    16:40 World Trials and UK Championships World Trials and UK Championships BBC2 (16:40-18:30)
    Sunday 12th July
    15:00 Kitzbuhel Women's Event ITU World Championship Series Setanta Ireland (14:55-17:00 Ireland only)
    17:30 World Trials and UK Championships World Trials and UK Championships BBC2 (17:30-20:00)
    Wednesday 15th July
    19:30 Lucerne, Switzerland European Athletics British Eurosport (19:30-21:00)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Tonight is down as 7.00 on Setanta Ireland on my TV browser, with no listing of Athletics on Eurosport.

Tonight is down as 7.00 on Setanta Ireland on my TV browser, with no listing of Athletics on Eurosport.

Setanta Ireland still have it exclusive to ireland and it was only annouced in last few days about Eurosport so might not have been updated that all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yep its on Setanta .. but i guess you all know now...

Eurosport really must have been last minute. No commentary what so ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ecoli wrote: »
    Eurosport really must have been last minute. No commentary what so ever

ah i've just got setanta not bad at all, :)

Advertisement