Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little Sisters Of The Poor, Kilmainham a.k.a. Hybreasal

Options
  • 14-05-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

I'm looking for any information that anyone might have on the history of this building and it's grounds - I've heard it was a convent & a hospice but if anyone had any particulars or stories about it I'd love to hear them. Was there a graveyard there at any stage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Hello white apples. Yes indeed the building was a hospice and a convent. It closed because the order of nuns had become too small to properly take care of the people they had in care. I can't remember exactly when it closed but I think it wsa sometime in the early 1990's. I'm honestly not too sure if there was a graveyard in the grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Thanks zesman for the info. Do you know if it was ever an asylum or for people with mental problems? On the 1911 census the patients are listed as "Inmates" which struck me as strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Hi White Apples,

Little Sisters of the Poor- Saint Patrick's House South Circulare Road
    Kilmainham Dublin 8 -1881 to date is reserved for the burial of members of the
    order, in the Dublin area.

So it is only for the sisters. No one else buried there, dont know about "inmates" term.

Hi Git - where did you get that information? There is no graveyard on the grounds at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Searcher09

Hi,

I saw something really weird there tonight. Are you aware of anything in the area?

• Advertisement

I used to live there and thought there was definately a strange feeling about it, possible a few spirits floating about. I mean, it was a hospice for over 100 years, loads of people must have died there so it would be a bit surprising for there to be no residual energies or spirits or whatever you want to call them.

What did you see?

Hi Thanks for your reply.

I saw a lady with a long blue skirt and white tops, aged around 40, holding a black cat on her chest, staring at the gates and not moving. This is at around 11:30 in the evening. I just thought its strange for a lady that age to be standing there with the cat at that time in the evening.

Hmm...that sounds weird alright. The clothes sounds like they could belong to a nun, although it is also possible that she was just coming out to collect her cat!

I've been trying to find out if anyone else has had any strange or unusual experiences in there but haven't had much luck.

Anyone else experience anything weird there?

Hi,

Everytime I talk about this, the goose bumps are all over the place. Anyway, I know that cat coz it crosses my path every 6pm for at least 5 days, before i saw that weird lady. and its really freaking me out. I told the gardiner about it and he said he suddendly felt a cold wind at the back of his neck. I think its really something, but I dont know what she wants. I havent seen the black cat since, but I noticed the Virgin Mary statue in our room keeps changing position. She definetely wants something. I hope its not something hard to give or to do.

S09

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you might get a better answer in the ghostie forum :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=446

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I live in one of the houses behind the convent, and have come across a few strange things alright.

While watching telly, I caught something out of the corner of my eye, the figure of a little girl peeping down the stairs at me is the best impression I could form; got all goosebumpy and told my housemate about it. Turns out he'd seen the same figure on a few occasions but hadn't wanted to say anything for fear of mockery.

We've both been woken by the pressure of someone sitting on the end of our beds, too. If it is a little girl-ghost, she must have been handy with a wrench and fixed our busted tap, 'cos it wasn't either of us!

I don't believe in ghosts, by the by. Most likely eye-floaters and sleep disorders. Still, these are my experiences of the last two years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrgdublin

Hi All, I lived in hybreasal in 2003 on the bottom floor for a year. Almost everyone who stayed with us had nightmares whils sleeping there but the place is quite creepy mainly because it was a convent/hospital and then a home for the ealderly. Lots of thing moved around but I never saw anything more than shadows. I never felt scared there but when I think back I wonder why, we had a friend stay with us for a week and got a call from her whilst myself and my flat mate where in work, she was out side the apartment refusing to go back in because she heard the sound of children in the appartment. I have been told there is a second hand book shop on camden street that has a book about an exorsism that was performed on the upper level of the building but I dont know how true this is. I do know people who have claimed the top floor is very haunted and wouldn't stay there. Also, most of the nightmares people had in the appartment, where based in the appartment. G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DaveHungary

Hi all. The graves of the deceased nuns were exhumed and the remains were removed to the Little Sisters of the Poor convent in Cork and re-buried there. The reason the nuns sold up was money. New E.C. fire regulations and health rules meant that a lot of money was needed for new fire escapes etc. Money that the nuns did not have. Along came the Bailey brothers and their building company Bovale who i think paid about 1.8 million for the whole estate and buildings. Interesting fact is that an English company offered them 1.6 million just for the house, to export the lovely granite stones to England. Thankfully the two brothers resisted this offer and turned it into apartments. As the house was not 100 years old at the time, they could have sold it. Lived there for eight years and never heard a ghost story. Beside the laundry buildings the brothers said they would put an Oratory in place so that mass could be said there. They lied. They turned the little building into a flat instead and sold it by tender. It is them that should be haunted and not the house. The graveyard was mostly were the new blocks of apartments were built. Hope i helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Derekmcauley7

Hey,

I know this is an old Thread but I enjoyed reading it and thought I would add to it because I lived there for awhile.

I lived in number 61 (top floor) from early 2010 to mid 2011. Anyway I like to think of myself as an extremely skeptical person but I have to admit that I couldn't explain a lot of what happened when I lived there. Looking back I would try and explain things but just couldn't.

The friend I lived with was sitting in his room (upstairs) when he heard a bang. He went down stairs to see what it was and a picture that had been standing up against the wall (not hanging on it) was in the middle of the room.

Another time I went into my room and stuff that was on my bed side locker had been knocked on to the floor. I asked my roommate and he swore that he wasn't in there.

On two separate occasions we were sitting in the sitting room and the tap in the kitchen had turned on by itself.

I swear I'm not making any of this up. I'm not sure what happened but I honestly couldn't explain it.
    It didn't freak me out to much though.

Anyway like the other post here, anytime people stayed over they would say that they got a "strange or uncomfortable feeling" in the place. I was seeing an American girl for awhile and she was always saying the place gave her chills and she thought it was haunted…..but that might be because she was American and a little odd. Haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mrs Tabnabs lived in one of the first houses past the gate for a few years. The only thing that ever frightened them was the fairly regular car fires on the adjacent road and the two break-ins they suffered. Although there was a very freaky religious house around the corner with statues/icons in all the windows. But Hybreasal itself never through up anything of the paranormal during her time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alan Whistler

I lived there for a year. It was the priests house across the road from the main gates that was freaky. Looked like house of horror and was also No.666

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Old thread; closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement