Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to service your car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A bit of a stupid question, but where exactly would the oil filter be situated? I guess it's in the same general area on the majority of cars? I have a '01 Ford Focus.

I have a pit in my garage I can use instead of jacks and whatnot.

I am not due a service for another few thousand miles, but it would be nice to look at before that. Thanks volvoboy :)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_oil_filter_located_on_a_2001_Ford_Focus

Engine.jpg

The grey cylinder to the left of the focus emblem on the engine head cover im guessing. Actually that might not be it, it just looks similar to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You never primed the filter. You should fill it with oil before you re-fit to ensure there are no parts not getting oil when you re-start.

When you bleed the brakes there is a pattern you do it in depending on the design of the system.

The gunsons kit is kinda misleading if you fire fluid into the system at 35psi or whatever your spare tyre is at, Im pretty sure you wil blow a seal. 15 psi is much more sedate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I recently got my oil and oil filter changed on my car (2.0TDi) what else needs to be done as part of a service. Do I just need a fuel filter and a new air filter? car is running like its clogged up. everything else is fine. Have some new brake disks (drilled and grooved) coming my way which are going to the garage to be fitted.

I recently got my oil and oil filter changed on my car (2.0TDi) what else needs to be done as part of a service. Do I just need a fuel filter and a new air filter? car is running like its clogged up. everything else is fine. Have some new brake disks (drilled and grooved) coming my way which are going to the garage to be fitted.

yes If your car is clogged do the fuel filter and clean your injectors, Id do you glow plugs too.

Think the glow plugs are ok, there is an issue with it running a bit rough at idle where it fluctuates, do you think this could be the glow plugs as the throttle body was cleaned already.

• Advertisement

Think the glow plugs are ok, there is an issue with it running a bit rough at idle where it fluctuates, do you think this could be the glow plugs as the throttle body was cleaned already.

probably a vacuum leak, see if you can hear any kinda hissing noises. Check your pipes for rips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

If its not the TB, sounds like the MAF to me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Engine.jpg

The grey cylinder to the left of the focus emblem on the engine head cover im guessing. Actually that might not be it, it just looks similar to mine.

That's an engine mount - the oil filter is accesed underneath the car, I'm pretty sure it's at the front of the engine.

Just discovered the lock nut is missing from my car :rolleyes: anyone know how to remove the nuts without the lock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Just a word of warning to any amateurs out there like myself who are attempting to do an oil change for the first time. I spent the guts of €100 on equipment (a decent jack, axle stands, oil and filter). Unfortunately I didn't get very far because the drain nut is wedged tight. I've tried and tried and tried with all my strength but the bastard thing won't budge :mad: I guess they must have screwed it tight using a heavy duty power tool.

Now I've to spend another €130 or there abouts getting it done in a garage. Bummer eh? Should have listened to the wife when she said somethings going to go wrong :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

It shouldn't have been that tight. If you had something to slide on the end of the socket to give you more leverage it might have helped. I've also seen people levering the socket handle down with a crowbar by levering it against the sump with a piece of timber between the crowbar and the sump. Not recommended though.

tell the mechanic not to tighten it super tight. They will have it up on a lift so they will be able to swing out of the nut. its harder to get a good pull on it when you are lying on your back.

Not to sound as if you were a fool or anything but are you sure you were turning it the correct way? Its the opposite to what you think because it is upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

This very problem was recently discussed on here. Do a search and you will find the thread or maybe a good citizen of the forum will find it.

I had this problem myself and solved it with some wd40 (it works, ok :p) and a hammer, spanner and a bit of sweet talk and off she comes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

very good post, should be stickied (if it isnt already)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just discovered the lock nut is missing from my car :rolleyes: anyone know how to remove the nuts without the lock...

welcome to an awful awful world my friend, i ended up paying 160 euro for the privilege of such a removal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

thats the point of a locknut, it could cost a fair bit to have another one cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Good thread volvoboy. Will be relied upon by many in these recessionary times no doubt I'm sure. Have always done as much work on the car as I could myself and well with the extortionate hourly rates garages and certain mechanics charge its well worth learning the basics and getting your hands dirty.

Would you be able to advise on the procedure involved in changing a complete timing belt kit including water pump and coolant on a 99 vectra 1.6 16v please? Pretty please?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Hal1 wrote: »
    This very problem was recently discussed on here. Do a search and you will find the thread or maybe a good citizen of the forum will find it.

I had this problem myself and solved it with some wd40 (it works, ok :p) and a hammer, spanner and a bit of sweet talk and off she comes. ;)
    I contemplated some WD40 and a hammer but I really didn't want to fcuk it up. Last thing I need is a rounded nut!! I really should have at least tried the WD40....I'll give it a go next time. I figured they've wedged this tight with a power tool and only a power tool is going to get it off. I'm booked in for a service now so I'll ask them not to tighten it too tight and give it another go in 6 months time. Very frustrating though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

Unsure if its being asked in the thread already but is anyone aware of how to remove an oil filter in a 2002 mondeo 1.8 litre? I was talking to a former Ford mechanic not too long ago and he told me it is black round yoke at the front of the engine in the middle underneath it. Thats grand I see it it and everything but can't for the life of me turn it and I wouldn't be too weak - never have a problem loosening conventional oil filters in other cars.

Is any special tool needed to slacken it? It does turn in the same direction as per the sump bolt and which one would expect, or is it a reverse thread on it?

Anybody out there with any knowledge of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hi steve had the same car as you. you need to get a special tool for the fords it can either be a belt or a chain that tightens around the filter and you twist it to loosen it off. there is a name to them but I cant think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

blahblah06 wrote: »
    you need to get a special tool for the fords it can either be a belt or a chain that tightens around the filter and you twist it to loosen it off.
    Just called a chain wrench I think .

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote: »
    hi steve had the same car as you. you need to get a special tool for the fords it can either be a belt or a chain that tightens around the filter and you twist it to loosen it off. there is a name to them but I cant think of it

It's called a screwdriver. ;) Just put something underneath to soak any spillages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's called a screwdriver. ;) Just put something underneath to soak any spillages.
    Dodgy advice, imo. What happens if you can't shift the oil filter after you've punctured it with the screwdriver?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Is any special tool needed to slacken it? It does turn in the same direction as per the sump bolt and which one would expect, or is it a reverse thread on it?

Anybody out there with any knowledge of it?

A pair of marigolds will actually work wonders, gives you more grip.

Pink or yellow ones work especially well:D.

esel wrote: »
    Dodgy advice, imo. What happens if you can't shift the oil filter after you've punctured it with the screwdriver?

That method worked for me after previous mechanic put it on too tight. Remember when doing this job OP hand tight will do and smear some oil on the thread of the oil filter before you install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

any of these will do the trick
    400px-Oelfilterschluessel.jpg818408094383.png302.jpg35.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Just read the OP's post and dont see anywhere that the car needs to be supported by something other than the car jack, purely on safety grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Think it's a cartridge type filter on that car. you only replace the element. so don't stick a screw driver near it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Just read the OP's post and dont see anywhere that the car needs to be supported by something other than the car jack, purely on safety grounds.

Your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 poxx

conlonbmw wrote: »
    If you are a newbie and Plug is scaring you, then its best to have a mate with you who knows a lot more than you do when you try it.

No you dont, stop tryin to complicate it

Sometimes?, so then you are saying you do not need a primer all the time

Soon many more people will realise how easy it is to service cars.

They will realise how they have been ripped off for years by paying 200 quid for a "routine service" that has cost a garage no more than 70 quid.

They will realise how the garage makes 25% profit on parts.

They will finally understand that when you become skilled in mechanics that the 2 hour labour a garage charges actually only takes 40 mins to 1 hour to perform at home on your own.
    point 1 the fuel system on this car runs at a max pressure of about 1800 bar, if you have any starvation of fuel you can very easly wreck the high pressure pump or the injectors (approx 6 grand to repair complete system). also at cranking speed you are looking at around 300 bar (your tyre has a pressure of about 2 bar) if you introduce a leak on the high pressure side it will have enough pressure to pierce your skin instantly (hypodermic pressure) but you probably already knew all this as you are a SKILLED MECHANIC point 2 that takes 4 years and a good teacher not a clown with a lap top to start become one of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevie.enright

Got oil filter out with a bit of a struggle. Thanks for assistance everyone....Next job up is shocks, they need doing badly. Has anyone done this at home. Is the spring compression tool absolutely essential or there any alternatives. Remember a friend telling me before that he managed to change his without it although it was not easy. Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement