Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contributors' Backgrounds

• 19-06-2009 11:56am

A suggestion from another poster.

Just curious to know how many contributors to these topics have:

1. A Technical Engineering background
    2. A qualification in Civil Engineering
    3. Civil engineering/project management experience in road design
    4. Civil engineering/project management experience in road construction
    5. None of the above

What is your background 25 votes

A Technical Engineernig background
    0% 0 votes
    A qualification in Civil Engineering
    72% 18 votes
    Civil engineering/project management experience in road design
    12% 3 votes
    Civil engineering/project management experience in road construction
    12% 3 votes
    None of the above
    4% 1 vote

Comments

I have a techncal background, but nothing to do with civil engineering!

IT background.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Architectural Tech. Nothing to do with roads or rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have a techncal background, but nothing to do with civil engineering!

IT background.

Same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Physics background, nothing to do with roads really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Mechanical Engineering, but worked in Building services in a consultancy with civil engineers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

IT background, though my father is a Civil Engineer who worked in roads at one stage and is a historian of all things industrial engineering wise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

IT background, but I follow closely enough with my own investigations/pics/research that I've put my own site together, in the sig below.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Van driver :p

(well, IT engineer, but its field service, so thats partially true). Do up to 2000km a week for work and a fair bit privately too so have a justified major interest in roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Marine Engineer but I'm back in college studying Energy Engineering which is partially through the Civ Eng Dept of UCC and partly through the Elec Eng Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

20 odd years in local govt in the UK on highway and drainage maintenance and design. Then 8 years project mnagement with a specialst drainage company (lot of work on London Underground, that was fun!). Spent some time here on the N7 Nenagh to Limerick job before giving up :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

This is an interesting thread.

Pity only a few people replied. :( It would be interesting to know whether more of the regular contributors have an infrastructure/engineering-related background.
    Physics background, nothing to do with roads really :D

Aye, same here.

Though physics does have quite a bit to do with roads. Unfortunately nobody cares for equations and formulae, we'd all just prefer to see pretty pictures of new motorways. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Historical researcher - no background in engineering or planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

My degree is in Transport Operations...but I haven't got it yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Soil Mechanic

Hello,
    first post from a long-time lurker!

Background in Geology (HND), working in Geotechnics for past 3+ years,
    (Specifically Site Investigation [S.I.] Function, some QC/QA materials.), on huge variety of Civil/Geotechncial projects North & South.

Don't think that qualifies as "Technical Engineering", as not an Engineer, merely a lowly Technician.
    (Should have worked harder at Uni....:o)

King of the D.C.P. & DDMC though!

Cheers,
    SM

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Agricultural Engineer. Involved in farm buildings/structures design and construction amongst other things.

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

BSc in Civil Engineering and a BSc in I.T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

BEng in Electionic Engineering

Work as a Electronic technician so no relation to roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Hi all,Have followed this forum closely but contributed very little!

Anyways,have a B.Eng in Civil from NUIG and 6 years working for a main contractor here. (Mostly structures,very little civils)

Keep up the good work here its one of the more informed sections out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Sales Marketing and Commerical Career;

Sociological Historian in terms of university "training"

Behavioural psychologist and observer of people by habit, believer in the greater good of civic society, and the importance of the civilising process to enable people to live together more harmoniously, both as individuals and as members of society.

Firm believer that making your own bread is good for you; doubtful about the existence of God but prepared to listen to arguments on both sides. Does not behold to any particiular faith but expects to end up in church in a box due to the mores of society.

Would prefer cremation and to be thrown on the vegetable patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dking

well all
    1st year student in civil engineering in ucd.
    have a big intrest in roads an all infrastructure.
    granny lives beside the new M7 project in trumera in laois so do be watching the job..

• Advertisement
Advertisement