Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You are not your post count and you may just have to accept that there is a chance that the boards staff may not be able to restore the thread to the poker foum.

If not then whoever moved it should step down as admin/mod.
    It was a heated and frankly stupid move which was not thought through, locking it was more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Rb wrote: »
    Sorry, but are you referring to the post by Sceptre?

You do realise that post was made long after people had tried to discuss it, only to have the posts pruned by Kinetic, don't you? Quite a few posts were deleted before Sceptre made that post, which at the time was quite void because every attempt to discuss it on feedback merely saw the thread being locked.

Or are you referring to Kinetics post which was responding to a poker mods request that people do not fling bile at the admins or other mods in the thread, however I along with others did not fling "bile", we tried to have a calm discussion about it and found our posts deleted.

Shot from the hip, horrendous moderation at its finest and I lol at you attempting to defend it.

Did you not see that Kinetic was backing up what the poker mods had said and done already? Or are you just refusing to see that?

The poker mods made the same warnings and snips earlier in the evening but they were ignored.

Later when the discussion went a way that the poker mods requested it didn't Kinetic stepped in. I didn't see any poker mods online at that time either so Kinetic was doing what is required of him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

You are not your post count and you may just have to accept that there is a chance that the boards staff may not be able to restore the thread to the poker foum.

not going to and not able are 2 entirely different things...

at the moment the last word we have on it is "not going to"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Wasnt going to respond to any of this but kinda had to on this point.
    seamus wrote: »
    But then I don't understand the appeal of off-topic threads at all.

I dont understand off topic threads either!

Except this wasnt an OFF TOPIC thread, it was the point of the poker forum
    (that and the this is how to play properly you idiot threads;))

People to talk to at 4 in the morning when some idiot called for his whole stack with 63 and busted your AA 6 hours into a tourni with a $250,000 first prize and you ended up with $50
    Esp when the same idiot just called you a loser cause he saw your ROI is -% on some website

Going to killarney for a tourni, rec a hotel, pub etc, fancy a pint type stuff

Talk sports/cricket/football/gaa etc without having to deal with the sports forums trolls (espically the football trolls:mad::rolleyes:)

Talk politics without having to deal with the politics trolls

Talk film without the film nerds, poker players have awful taste in film comedy by the looks of it(serious lads, some of the films ye watch are aimed at 12yr old boys with idiot issues:D)

The poker forum was the only reason i was still coming to this site as the trolls were just getting on my nerves

Btw count to a million? lads life is short, on your death bed
    "Doc i once counted to a million on an internet forum"
    Doc: What?
    "ooh nothing nothing, wish id done more with my life doc"
    SEE IT BE IT!!!

Id say even if ye put it back , its probably broke, they will probably go off and set up their own, get a load of advertising revenue and do quite well out of it

Wait, lads my idea, im in on the ground floor or there be beatings:cool:

seamus
    This is my 1000th post, big deal in the poker world apparently
    was supposed to be about the tourni i win at 4 in the morning when calling with 63 to bust some suckers AA:D:rolleyes:
    but then again:
    But then I don't understand the appeal of off-topic threads at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I suspect if it was a simple matter of a 'undelete' then it would have happened by now, but dev has pointed out there are technical obstacles to restoring it.

That's fair enough, and if it can't be restored than I guess we'll just have to live with that.

However, there is more than the restoration of the old BBV being discussed here, at least imo. There is the fact that the thread was moved as some kind of punishment for the entire boards poker community for the actions of a few. There is the issue of why we were not allowed to discuss this either in the poker forum or on feedback before things got way out of hand. And there is the shameful accusations being levelled at the poker forum mods, who seem to feel very hard done by over this. And finally a small number of posters seem to be using this issue to throw sly digs at the poker forum community.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    Nobody is defending it. From the thread it appears it was great craic, even for the mods.

Why have you more a right to use boards.ie in peace then the TCN regulars? Did you know about the trolling, if so why didn't you report the post ?

In all fairness to the "TCN regs" while the personal abuse was way over the line how can you really troll a thread where poeple type a number, not like there was a discussion being ruined or whatever.

That is the most pointless thread on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

IMO restoring that thread is the only way to keep the poker forum alive, so Gordon just lifts the thread without thought of the ramifications and our mods are the ones getting heat. Excellent modding there

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fair enough, if people do say they don't care, but I still don't consider it fair to say that the community is to blame here, and that it should be their responsibility to police themselves. You can't require people to care about every other little facet of boards, and I'll be honest with you, there's about a bazillion forums here that I don't care about either.
    But if you saw a post on one of your preferred forums recommending that they start **** in a thread on the "Italian" forum, you're report it, right? Why?
    Come on admins, if the thread doesn't really matter, then it's no skin of your necks to restore it.
    Bit of time. The other admins are still talking about this. I'm not all that involved apart from poking my 2c in, but I wasn't there for the initial decision so I'm going to leave it up to the others unless I feel my input/decision is required. There's no point in continually calling for its restoration - it'll either happen or it won't.

The opinion of the poker forum regulars is apparent and taken on board, but you well know yourself that this isn't a democracy and no rash actions will be taken on the back of 30 or 40 angry posters.
    Do you think ostracising one of the largest, most active forums on the entire site is good for boards?
    With all due respect, I think the Poker forum thinks too much of itself. The site was here and flourishing a long time before the poker forum. Remember that you guys came to boards, boards didn't come to you. That's not me saying, "Piss off, we don't want you", but comments like that are one step away from, "You need us boards, don't dare cross us". And that's not a road anyone wants to go down.

Onkle wrote: »
    Did you not see that Kinetic was backing up what the poker mods had said and done already? Or are you just refusing to see that?

The poker mods made the same warnings and snips earlier in the evening but they were ignored.

Later when the discussion went a way that the poker mods requested it didn't Kinetic stepped in. I didn't see any poker mods online at that time either so Kinetic was doing what is required of him

It's a discussion for a different day... my posts were made long before requests for "no discussion" were made.... then when the "new" BBV got locked last night someone went in and deleted all attempts to discuss the matter.. including my reasonable posts...

Anyway we were directed here and here we are... in force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd have thought a fresh start would be the way to go. Gets rid of the stigma now attached to the old thread. .....
    FWIW I am a lurker on the Poker forum, lurk there quite a bit actually

Oh, how unexpected of you.
    Onkle wrote:
    That thread is a cancer on the site. Removing it is akin to chemo. So boards will go bald for a bit but come back bigger and stronger

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Blured wrote: »
    Did you not call the BBV a cancer earlier? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60680802&postcount=25

Seems you have something against the forum and its current (excellent IMO) mods.
    I wasn't the one who used the cancer analogy first there if you read back. I don't have anything against the forum. I'm shocked that the mods allowed this behaviour. That IMO is not the behaviour of an'excellent' mod. An excellent mod would have nipped it in the bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

Beruthiel wrote: »

You will not be getting your old thread back.
    DeV has started a new one and you can use that.
    Be aware the if this happens again, you run the risk of not having one at all.
    I suggest you all take that on board for next time so you do not stand by and allow a few people ruin your forum.

I find this deeply offensive and patronising.

There seems to be a lot of criticism of the lads who moderated the poker forum. Can I just say, that in my opinion, the person whom wrote the above should not be involved in anthing involving moderation or discretion of any kind whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Boston wrote: »
    Why have you more a right to use boards.ie in peace then the TCN regulars? Did you know about the trolling, if so why didn't you report the post ?

I don't have anymore right than anyone else. I didn't see the posts in the BBV, and even if had and had not reported them I would not deserve any punishment.

God that was Onkle that wrote that, you dont even deserve an opinion after that post you wrote, quite disgusting and offensive i found that.

mdwexford wrote: »
    God that was Onkle that wrote that, you dont even deserve an opinion after that post you wrote, quite disgusting and offensive i found that.
    Are you saying it's ok for a thread to be used to form attacks on other forums/mods? I mean come on how can you expect that kind of behaviour to be tolerated.

I am as entitled to my opinion as the next person

Are you saying it's ok for a thread to be used to form attacks on other forums/mods? I mean come on how can you expect that kind of behaviour to be tolerated.

You are putting words in my mouth.

I said the way you phrased your view was disgusting and offensive, nothing more. I am condoning nothing.

The opinion of the poker forum regulars is apparent and taken on board, but you well know yourself that this isn't a democracy and no rash actions will be taken on the back of 30 or 40 angry posters.

But the rash action of moving the BBV will be taken on the back of 2 or 3 angry TCN posters?
    With all due respect, I think the Poker forum thinks too much of itself.

You misunderstand me. I was not trying to say the poker forum is something special. It is a simple statement of fact. Poker is one of the largest and most active forums on boards. I am sorry if that came across as in some way boastful. To be honest I believe you thinking that is what I meant reflects more on your ideas about the poker forum than any ideas we may have about it ourselves.

I'm sorry but you're obviously failing to read properly.

The poker mods asked that people not fling bile at the admins and mods, after some comments were made about DeVore. Discussion continued without this "bile" and then Kinetic decided to prune the thread.

I have my posts that were deleted, there is no bile flinging at the admins or other moderators, yet they were deleted by Kinetic under the excuse that they were.

This is the last time I'm going to respond to you on the matter also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Really folks this is crazy. I'll repeat what I said before:-

Some posters did something wrong and deserve to be punished.

None of the posters have defended these actions and in fact those who mentioned it accepted they should be punished.

One or two people have said they didn't report posts because they didn't care and it is being used as a basis to justify everyone else's culpability. Lets ignore for example 5starpool saying he would have acted had he seen it.

Nobody and I repeat nobody is saying what was done was right.

What most of us would have accepted is the appropriate people being punished which is not what has been done. This red herring of everyone who looked at a computer screen while one of these posts was visible is an absolute and total disgrace. For shame admins. You have obviously decided you have be united on this issue so you won't back down.

I see how admins with little knowledge of the value placed on this thread by poker regulars but I can't see or accept that now it has been made plainly obvious they persist in defending their actions. You overreacted. Sticking to your ground because somewhere you all agreed that was the plan of action does not make it the right stance.

please don't drag up this argument again... Many have agreed that it was wrong... punish them in the normal manner... this is agreed by all including the people involved.. they will all take their bans on the chin and get on with it.

I did nothing wrong... why have I had 50% of my posts removed and why has the BBV been moved to the recycle bin...

this is the issue at hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Well at least the important thing to remember here is that now people are free to post 5 characters in a thread untill it gets to a million in the peace they deserve...

Seriously? I know nothing about the poker forum and even less about TCN but I'm with the poker guys here. The thread is obviously very important to the entire forum and to move it wholesale because of a few posts in it was a big overreaction. If you're unable to move it back then hold up your hands and say "yeh, sorry about that, our mistake"

In a related matter, if admins/smods/cmods were so active at that time of night and since then, why werent the offenders just banned from TCN? Maybe the mods there need to be looked at rather than the mods in poker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Are you saying it's ok for a thread to be used to form attacks on other forums/mods? I mean come on how can you expect that kind of behaviour to be tolerated.n

Missing the point completely. Everyone is saying the exact opposite. It's just some are saying blowing up an island to get some bloke in a house on that island is a bit too much.

Rb wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you're obviously failing to read properly.

The poker mods asked that people not fling bile at the admins and mods, after some comments were made about DeVore. Discussion continued without this "bile" and then Kinetic decided to prune the thread.

I have my posts that were deleted, there is no bile flinging at the admins or other moderators, yet they were deleted by Kinetic under the excuse that they were.

This is the last time I'm going to respond to you on the matter also.
    I saw the poker mods snip posts earlier in the evening. A good number of posts were actually snipped. The poker mods requested that the issue not be discussed there. In fact Luckyloyd even snipped one of his own posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

But if you saw a post on one of your preferred forums recommending that they start **** in a thread on the "Italian" forum, you're report it, right? Why?

Yes, I would. But that's just me.

I'm not defending anyone, but I'm not condemning them either. A lack of action is not the same as taking part in an unsavory action, nor should it be taken into account.
    Bit of time. The other admins are still talking about this. I'm not all that involved apart from poking my 2c in, but I wasn't there for the initial decision so I'm going to leave it up to the others unless I feel my input/decision is required. There's no point in continually calling for its restoration - it'll either happen or it won't.

Aye, that's fair, but from reading this thread, it's very unclear as to whether the thread would be restored or not. I think you do need to give people a far more clear picture of what's going to happen.
    With all due respect, I think the Poker forum thinks too much of itself. The site was here and flourishing a long time before the poker forum. Remember that you guys came to boards, boards didn't come to you. That's not me saying, "Piss off, we don't want you", but comments like that are one step away from, "You need us boards, don't dare cross us". And that's not a road anyone wants to go down.

Seamus, do you not think that comments like "the poker forum thinks too much of itself" is not just stoking the fire here? You're actively propagating the us vs. them attitude that's going on. No, boards probably doesn't need the poker community, but even if people are acting like it does, it shouldn't matter, I think the boards admins should be above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

I'd have thought a fresh start would be the way to go. Gets rid of the stigma now attached to the old thread.

I mean 4 of the mods have stepped down so why not let the new mods guide the new thread the way they see fit. I mean, the old thread isn't gone altogether, it's still there, still readable just locked and in a different place. Yo have a new one new, use it and take this as a lesson, report posts and don't encourage childish behaviour.

And Fatguy I'm not saying you encouraged behaviour or didn't report posts, what I'm saying os maybe in future the community as a whole will be more proactive in maintaining the integrity of your forum.

FWIW I am a lurker on the Poker forum, lurk there quite a bit actually

As you say "you's have a new with the old one still there" why not just put the original one back in its proper place?

Dustaz wrote: »
    If you're unable to move it back then hold up your hands and say "yeh, sorry about that, our mistake"

I'd go so far as to say if it was moved without knowledge of the consequences to not only the community but to the actual data structure of the website, then the person who moved it should certainly not have had the ability to do so.

As you say "you's have a new with the old one still there" why not just put the original one back in its proper place?
    The fresh start will be good imo. Means all the crap attached to the old one is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

The fresh start will be good imo. Means all the crap attached to the old one is gone.

A handful of posts out of 60,000 to be more precise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

mdwexford wrote: »
    In all fairness to the "TCN regs" while the personal abuse was way over the line how can you really troll a thread where poeple type a number, not like there was a discussion being ruined or whatever.

That is the most pointless thread on the site.

Thats not for you to decide. Your don't get to destroy something for your amusement.
    Wreck wrote: »
    I don't have anymore right than anyone else. I didn't see the posts in the BBV, and even if had and had not reported them I would not deserve any punishment.

You shouldn't be punished, but I do think you're full of it when you say you care about the site, as a result.
    Dustaz wrote: »
    Well at least the important thing to remember here is that now people are free to post 5 characters in a thread untill it gets to a million in the peace they deserve...

Seriously? I know nothing about the poker forum and even less about TCN but I'm with the poker guys here. The thread is obviously very important to the entire forum and to move it wholesale because of a few posts in it was a big overreaction. If you're unable to move it back then hold up your hands and say "yeh, sorry about that, our mistake"

Just because it was pointless doesn't mean the poker regulars should be allowed attack it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

To what crap are you reffering?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement