Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calow//an underrated county

• 22-08-2002 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

Is Carlow not one of the most underrated and unknown counties.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's one of the worst, certainly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

When you say "one of the worse" you mean underated and unknown I am sure.
    The problem with Carlow has to be is that it is on the road to somewhere e.g Waterford.
    Or maybe it has to do with the fact they are not so good at GAA at a county level

As of me I am a proud "Scallion Eater" and proud of my little county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

How is it underrated?

All thats in carlow is the town and with that comes the biggest bottleneck on the waterford to dublin road.

Carlow needs some serious changes made like.

Its got a good nite life, i think that is fairly apparent tbh, if you go to the foundy at the weekends the amount of dubliners that go there for stag/hen partys and people who come from wexford and kilkenny all seem to enjoy it.

I've lived in the town for 4 years and enjoyed it very much. the student life is second to none tbh. :P

How is it unknown???

OK so it is known by the stundents who come there to study ,I am talking about the county on a whole as at a national level.

There is a lot more to Carlow then the town ,you only have to go south to Borris etc to see that SouthCarlow is one of the most unexplioted tourist regions in the SE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well, Carlow Town has a fair bit-o stuff, granted so does kilkenny City,

We have a Very good GAA pitch
    Carlow's Rugby Club is one of the best in the county
    We have a huge rowing club
    A small kayaking club
    A bowling alley
    All the Major Supermarkets (yea yea ESAD to all the geerers)
    We even have Aldi (God Help US)
    We have 2 colleges Carlow IT and St. Patricks College.
    We have a 3 screen cinema
    Apparently we have a WAN http://carlow.irishwan.org/
    We have a Graig *shudders*
    We have a Castle (all say 2 walls of it that is still there)
    WE HAVE LOADS OF PUBS (and some serve cashels)
    2 Major Niteclubs
    Train Station
    Bus Something (not a station/more than a stop)
    We have AberaSomething (spelling) McDonalds and Supermacs
    Loads of others fast food places but there the national/international ones
    We have a Internet Cafe *shudders at the thought of the place*
    WE HAVE LOADS OF FIELDS stocked with PLENTY OF SHEEP (in case your that way inclined :))
    We have Internation Companies located and loads of heritage site (i'm even told that those of us bold enough to go into the library can find out where they are :))
    Oh yea we have a library
    We have a swimming pool (yes i know it's in graig *shudders)
    We even have a kna.. eh Mart Trading Place once every week i think...
    We have I think the only sugar factory in the Republic
    We have CKR radio's headquarters :)
    Finally we have a huge Courthouse (for all the dublin skangers who come down every weekend to the foundry to cause trouble :))

Can't think of nething else, did i mention the fields with the sheep and grass?

Anyone add nething to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

Spent two years going to the then Carlow RTC, and I have to say that my experience in carlow was overall......ok. Didn't really like the people, they were like outcast dublin scummers. Nightlife was the dogs though, used to consist of a few cans from the offie, to (the always jammed) Tullys for a swift half or two. THen onto Cobblers for a pint of bulmers or three and then finally to Scraggs for a few vodkas. Then you would hit the Foundry for a bit of girl huntin'. Lots of dark corners in case you pulled minger too. Didn't like all the mirrors in there though, spent more than one occassion politely asking myself to move aside so I could pass.
    Apart from that.....cultureless feckin' hole of a place. The College was pants too.

Hey Slydice,,You de man,,do not forget the Dolman with the biggest stone in Europe,and the Fighting Cocks among others

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I give it 3 stars.... there you go. Now yer rated :)

Dev.

Originally posted by DeVore
    I give it 3 stars.... there you go. Now yer rated :)

Dev.

fsck off dublin skum, get off me bord ya baillix

(note: beer invloved :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Well i am a student in Carlow IT and i live in a town called Tullow thats 10 miles from Carlow and i love my little county!!
    I used to regularly go to dublin for a night out but carlow has really come along and now i would much rather go to Carlow cause i honestly have alot more fun there!!!!
    From the people to the pubs i love them all (especially Scraggs and Tullys,,, Buzz's to a lesser extent)!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

From the people to the pubs i love them all (especially Scraggs and Tullys,,, Buzz's to a lesser extent)!!

that's cause you're a man-wh0re :p

but seriously i much prefer carlow over g-g-galway..carlow is VERY clean and much fun to go out on :D (and there are lots of lovely ladies :))

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of LOVELY LADIES!!!!!!
    Do i make my point???

Hey Shay ,so I can take it from that that the women in the Irish are as bad as ever

galway is teh win tbh :)

carlow ain't bad for a night out, but there's always ****e music being played in the pubs/clubs, which is a terrible shame. but at least the company is good/alright/not-too-bad :)

and yiss, the women are very nice
    *nod*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ Hanna Agreeable Thankfulness

Beign from KK, i still say Saints & Sinners owned

gwan Carlah!

Carla is a good place to go on the beer allrigt. Saints and Sinners was before a log of the lads here time. Its now 2 pubs and 2 clubs :) Mad like. IMO there all kips hehe.

Prefer Dinn Ri over most pubs tbh, cause its never so packed, smokey and *usually* the beer is quite good. (the last one last nite had some after affects :P)

i blame Stephen and Ruaidhri tbh. fscking baxtards.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Carlow is pretty cool if you are on the West side of Dublin...you can use it as a shortcut to get to Wexford :)

ooooh, burn! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

oh, I forgot the QUAD Bike course (proably cos i've never been)

I hear it's good

i wasn't aware the wheel had been introduced to carlow yet

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seano
    Hey Shay ,so I can take it from that that the women in the Irish are as bad as ever

I never got to the IRISH its a F***ing S**t whole!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by flamegrill

Prefer Dinn Ri over most pubs tbh, cause its never so packed, smokey and *usually* the beer is quite good. (the last one last nite had some after affects :P)

i blame Stephen and Ruaidhri tbh. fscking baxtards.

P.

pffff just because you cant handle your drink :p

yes, he's a bit of a wussy isn't he?

Advertisement