Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3-M50 interchange

• 10-10-2008 10:06am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

folks, where could I get my hands on plans/maps for the upgrading of the N3-M50 interchange?

Cheers.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks. Intersting picture, though it doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, extra roads all over the place for no apparent reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Here are the up-to-date designs
    normal_n3new.jpg
    Hi Res
    normal_n3.jpg
    Hi Res

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

I still can't work out how you will get from Blanch village to M50 south!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭SeanW

What the ... looks like the plan is for a crazy amount of road - but they're still going to have that lame-ass mega roundabout there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I think (maybe, but not sure) but any movements from the N3 to M50 or vice versa won't use the roundabout.

Similar situation on the M1 M50 junction. The roundabout is there but won't be necessary except for traffic wanting to leave or get to the N32. Its like they are building a juntion around the existing junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The design is confusing to say the least, but considering the limitations I guess it's pretty good.

BTW The roundabout makes the whole thing look AWFUL...

It looks really stupid sitting in the middle of the place.

• As long as we can all get from A to B safely along a well signed route via the junction, who cares what it looks like.

As long as we can all get from A to B safely along a well signed route via the junction, who cares what it looks like.

Are we talking about the N3/M50 junction in Ireland? :D

• BluntGuy wrote: »
    Are we talking about the N3/M50 junction in Ireland? :D

WISHFUL THINKING :D

Ther need to hand the signage project to a UK company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

indeed, Irish road signage is possibly the worst in western Europe as its littered with mistakes, inconsistencys and is generally hard to read and often lacking in information.

• or overloading the motorist with information, on a dozen different panels.

Or giving the information when it is completely useless...

The 'Motorway Ahead' signs placed on the slip roads AFTER you have entered the motorway on the fermoy bypass are a great example. Who honestly thought that was a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

This is the EIS for the new junction.
    Size Warning! 34.7MB
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15160,en.pdf

Thanks for the EIS link! Unfortunately, I'm sure not many of us have the time (or the broadband) to read all that, so I've just taken some of the pictures out of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Assuming the Blanchardstown Roundabout is being replaced (the small one) - I still can't see how you get in to Blanch village from the M50 southbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

MYOB wrote: »
    Assuming the Blanchardstown Roundabout is being replaced (the small one) - I still can't see how you get in to Blanch village from the M50 southbound?
    Same as now! ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

*facepalm*

Never thought of checking to see if the existing movements were preserved for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The issue I have with the new interchange is the excessively long pedestrian route. See highlighted section of the attached image.

I realise that the current (short and direct) route cannot be used because the Castleknock end of that is being transferred to the tennis club (exchange for some of their land I believe).

The climb in the highlighted (double underline) double-back section should be incorporated into the M50 crossing.
    The first, smaller double-back on the Blanchardstown side could probably be eliminated too.

I do wonder if the inclines are such to accommodate wheelchair users (though I still feel that an incline across the M50 would be okay).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

still can't see how you get from blanch village to m50 south

also these plans show nothing of the new bridge they've just built into the hospital. how will this affect that junction??

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

As i use the route from blanch village to m50 south...

After looking at the diagram this is the route i think you'd have to take!! (see attachment)

pardon for non steady red line in image, damn laptop thumb pads!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MessyRedBlue

goin by there today, they are fairly progressing. Does anyone know if they are getting rid of the roundabout at the new Connolly Hospital bridge? its kinda hard to tell from the photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Progressing? really? They've cut down a lot of trees but is there real progress there?

Any photos or anything?

Random wrote: »
    Progressing? really? They've cut down a lot of trees but is there real progress there?

Any photos or anything?

Theres an entire bridge deck in; lots of support pillars for further decks; some M50 south offramps are moved well well over to the left, theres been quite a bit done.

MYOB wrote: »
    Theres an entire bridge deck in; lots of support pillars for further decks; some M50 south offramps are moved well well over to the left, theres been quite a bit done.
    I'm just challenging someone to show me some updated photos really .. :)

site has very poor pedestrian access, you got a copter we can borrow? :D

Sorry, I need it for my trip to Cork City this week - but it might be free next week ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

goin by there today, they are fairly progressing. Does anyone know if they are getting rid of the roundabout at the new Connolly Hospital bridge? its kinda hard to tell from the photos.

The roundabout is due to go, they have started clearing before it and supports are in for a for a pedestrian bridge i believe.

Random wrote: »
    I'm just challenging someone to show me some updated photos really .. :)

Its not the easiest junction to get photos, give me a lend of your helicopter, and it would be easy! The main new N3 bridges are in good order, lot of the concrete is done.

Coming off the M50 going northbound just shows a few tress gone, but thats the handiest part of the junction not much work needs to be dont that side, its mainly the pilliar for the new offramp. All the work is on the other side. They are defo behind the M1 junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MessyRedBlue

Davy wrote: »
    The roundabout is due to go, they have started clearing before it and supports are in for a for a pedestrian bridge i believe.

It'll be great when that goes, major bottle neck there in the morns. re supports ... are they not for an over head sign?

• Advertisement

Is there anywhere at all to get live updates / photos etc on the progress? The www.m50.ie website is useless :(

Advertisement