Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safe cross code

• 08-06-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Remember:

ONE Look for a safe place

TWO Don't hurry, stop and wait

THREE Look all around and listen, before you cross the road remember

FOUR Let all the traffic pass you

FIVE Then walking straight across you

SIX Keep watching, that's the safe cross code. That's the safe cross code. Know the safe cross code, KNOW THE CODE!

I've a tear in my eye thinking back on that song. Shows how effective it was though that I can still remember all the words and the tune to this day. Where I grew up feck all people had cars, lol. Great song though!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I just sang along to it.... I remember the tune!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It sticks in the memory alright .............and most of the roads did't even have white lines in the 80's .

When i see all the jaywalkers out there nowadays , it always comes back to me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Wasn't Wonderly Wagons judge in a safe cross code ad campaign?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I remember the ad clearly too. There was a cartoon strip Safe Cross Code ad starring Judge on the wall in school too...feck! Thats a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I had a badge and a pamphlet. :)

• Advertisement

Thats it, I remember the badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Judge was in the campaign when I was doing it and there was a picture of him on the badges we got. Still remember the song but I had forgotten some of the lyrics. Good campaign to have stuck with us so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Brendan Grace did the singing in the ad.

That explains this photo.....ignore the muppet in the middle.

safe-cross-code-61.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I remember getting a badge and a little comic with Judge in it. I also remember getting a reflective armband, although that may have been tied into those ads that had an old fella in a black overcoat getting hit by a car, while the fella with the white coat and the armband survived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thelurch

Any of you Dubs go to the traffic school in clontarf ?
    In case my utube box did not load heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO90cesLpo

Love the teachers haircut and the green fields around it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

thelurch wrote: »

Any of you Dubs go to the traffic school in clontarf ?
    In case my utube box did not load heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO90cesLpo

Love the teachers haircut and the green fields around it !!

That garda was a bit harsh on the girl in the red coat I thought!

+1 Lol at the haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Actually I was only singing this to my six year old last week :)

Brendan Grace has just made a new recording of the Safe Cross Code. It is going to be on a add campaign and all school kids or going to DVD with the song on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I can remember the orange VW Variant in the clip. My dad had one at the time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Code finally cracked: FF TD outed as child star of road safety ad

It's the kind of secret from your youth you hope your cousin won't blurt out over the national airwaves.

But when your cousin is chatterbox national broadcaster Ryan Tubridy -- and he knows where all your youthful skeletons are closeted away -- then it's nothing short of a miracle that Fianna Fail TD Chris Andrews' past activities took so long to be brought to the public's attention.

For the deputy's cousin, Radio One broadcaster Ryan Tubridy, informed the nation during his show yesterday morning that the Dublin South-East TD was one of the two children featured in the iconic Safe Cross Code telly ad which had just been re-launched. The road safety ad, which first hit the country's small screens in 1974, was accompanied by a hugely catchy song, which promptly imprinted itself on the brains of at least one generation of schoolkids.

The whole article here

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tif

I teach the same code to the children. They love it :D You always hear them singing it quietly to themselves :) It is so cute but great cos it helps them. It helped me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This used to be on the back of school copy books in primary school in the 70s/early 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Another with Judge, looking a bit like a demented Mickey Mouse here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement