Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Seat Leon - blink and you'd miss it?

• 07-06-2009 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

What do you think of the new leon?

Not much difference over the old one...

leonbrx.jpg
    2009 with brilliant flappy paddle shifters... Jeremy Clarkson loves them...

leon08.jpg
    older Leon

Interior still looks a bit grey / plasticky

Anyone ordering one?

See the new annoying advert at: http://seat.co.uk

leonad.jpg
    edit: had to throw in another image -- still looks no different to 2006-2008 model...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Yowsa!!!

You put different headlight bulbs in a car... and hey presto you got a new model on your hands!

I get seasick looking at those leons, way too wavey looking for my liking! :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sure it's just an update, like the Mk4 fiesta and it's facelift model.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not the first car to have a subtle facelift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It's not a 'new' anything rather a subtle facelift - happens all the time. I have elderly relatives who change their Corolla every 2 years on the dot for the 'new' model and can't tell the difference between 'facelift' and 'new'. Looks like the OP is similarly afflicted. Why beat up on the Leon over that?

Pointless post.

The Leon is probably the best of the current SEATs (not saying much). I still think this could have been a cool brand if they stuck to the cheap-yoof-Spanish Alfa vibe they almost got going in the early noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I actually like that Leon. As long as it's not basic, it looks well.

The Leon Cupra is another story then, cracker altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I actually like that Leon. As long as it's not basic, it looks well.

The Leon Cupra is another story then, cracker altogether.

Have to agree, saw mountains of them on the continent last year, that Cupra version is delicious. I'd have it over a GTi Golf any day.

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Have to agree, saw mountains of them on the continent last year, that Cupra version is delicious. I'd have it over a GTi Golf any day.

Aye, a basic GTI, ie. with no mods other than it comes standard with can be very boring. The Leon Cupra looks very well IMO,

seat-leon-cupra-k1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

To me the advert is shouting like it's an all new car. I wouldn't even call it a facelift - more a change of lipstick!

I like the Leon - but why bring out such a tiny change that results in driving prices of the current stock down...

Pity there aren't a few more 1.4 TSI models on the second hand market here - I'd be interested in one

edit: ^^^ great looking version above - why not bring some of that through to the standard car.. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Ummmm... i got it i got it.... it's the alloys, do i get a prize?

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Ummmm... i got it i got it.... it's the alloys, do i get a prize?

No, but the alloys get one for the worst photoshop job! LOl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Boring... next!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At least they didn't just put a Seat nose on an old model A3 and call it new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They could have done a lot more to be honest.

The biggest difference is the rear windows bigger and it gets the air con controls from the Golf/Octavia. The model pictured is an FR so the grey Paddy spec one below wont look a lot different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Howitzer wrote: »
    To me the advert is shouting like it's an all new car. I wouldn't even call it a facelift - more a change of lipstick!

What's strange, is that the ad has been filmed with english actors, but the car's a LHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I thought the facelift model had a new front so it looked a little more like the new Ibiza? I think they call it the arrow design or something.

Also, that picture of the white Leon is the Cupra K1. Its the standard cupra with the aero bodykit on it. Its only available in the UK. In fact, its next to impossible to get a cupra here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

IMO I dont think they could have done a lot to improve the '06 model, I think that model pushed the design envelop in the right direction for SEAT it looks right from every angle...not many cars you can say that about (e.g. subaru) think this wouldn't even be called a facelift... more of a smoothing and rounding! its still nice & understated its also going to have cool daytime running lights.. :p

Also getting the new 211 hp 2.0 TSI which is supposed to be a fantastic engine.

If its not broke dont fix it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Are the doors more sculpted on the facelifted version? Seems like that from the picture...

Does this model have the new engines? Part of the A3 facelift late last year was that the car had the new Audi Common-rail diesel engine fitted, it's more frugal and a lot quieter than the older TDI. Maybe that's in the facelifted Seat?

The FR is def getting common rail and the 1.6 CR diesel is also going to make an appearance in place of the 1.9 eventually. Not too sure if the PD 2.0 TDi is staying or being replaced with CR

I presume all the 4 pot audi engines will be used (1.4T - 2.0 petrol and Diesel)

I presume all the 4 pot audi engines will be used (1.4T - 2.0 petrol and Diesel)

Aye, usual 1.4 and 1.6 (might not make it back here), 1.4T and the two 2.0T's. There's also a 1.8T but I dunno if it will be available here either. Rumors of an even more powerful Cupra (maybe Cupra R) too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I noticed that in the UK Leon (2.0 TDI) is almost more expensive than the golf. There is little chance that a like for like Leon will be moe expensive than a golf in Ireland. Does this mean Irish drivers pick solid cars with low depreciation over the "sporty image"?

Dunno is that a trick question, in the uk SEAT sales were up last time I checked.

Leon Spec is huge though for the money, and most Golfs will have a few extras whacked on. But Seat dealers are known for discounts on new cars in the UK

Advertisement