Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gun identity??

• 04-06-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi folks this is a 4/10 that was left to me a good few years ago its a s/s but its of unknown make.. Can anyone help identify it for me...The pics aren't great.. Here goes...
    2ngdklu.jpg
    312eejn.jpg
    6pcb5s.jpg
    2upu8tk.jpg
    152jdbn.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

Possibly a Webley & Scott or another English make built on a Webley action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or a Belgian copy of the above?Nice little piece all the same.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is the outside of the barrel not a bit... rusty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If you look at the flats under the chambers of the barrels you can determine from the proof marks if it's an english or continental gun. You might also be able to determine the approx year of manafucture from the stamps.

That said, it looks like a relatively good quality piece - probably pre war Birimingham.

Google "British gun proof marks"
    or look at this https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Proofmarks.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Sparks wrote: »

as well as blueing and blacking there is also browning, it may be that these barrels were browned to begin with-just a guess on my part though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Sparks wrote: »

Its just a little service rust... Ive drop it in for a full service and clean. So she will be fit for storage..As it doesnt really get shot that much....

Rosahane.. Now that you said it my grandad hailed drom kidderminster which isnt a million miles away from birmingham.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If I were you I'd look after it. It looks like a well made little gun that could be worth a few bob if it's English or Belgian.
    If it's Belgian you should find an oval proof mark on it with a crown on top and the letters ELG in it, the letters laid out in a triangular fashion. If you find those start looking for a manufacturers name. If it by chance says Lebeau-Coralie or Saive or the likes get it valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

see if you can find the cert from the person who left it to you,the make should be on that.
    if you got it from the uk then the police will have records,just quote the serial no.
    if none of these work then try christies auctioneers or another who deal in old guns.
    try and google some of these auction sites also.
    nice gun might be worth money

Had a second look. It's hard to see from the pics but looks like damascus barrels which you can tell from the swirling pattern of lighter and darker steel from the forged twisted wires. These were usually given a brown rather than 'blue' finish. If thats the case the gun probably dates from the early 20th centuary. The make would then more likely be W & C Scott (not sure when they merged with Webley, the service revolver makers). I think Belgian imports were scarce in the days of Damascus barrells.

Small guage English guns are in demand. A beauty in that condition may be worth getting valued. If the barrels are not pitted it could be worth a couple of K.

Holland & Holland in London hold the records for Webley & Scott and W & C Scott vintage guns. If you give them the serial number, they might help you out. May you pass it on to your grandchildren.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey lads this could be it;

08-146-002_sm.jpg
    135. Manton & Co. London SxS Shotgun with Boxlocks
    Serial# 92503, 12 gauge (2 1/2" chambers). 30" barrels, excellent bores choked Improved Cylinder in both tubes. This SXS retains approximately 99% of a restoration quality blue on the barrels and has a single bead sight. The receiver is gray with some very light pitting and is nicely engraved with a scroll pattern. The triggerguard and floorplate are reblued and scroll engraved as well. The straight gripped stock has been recheckered but still grades about fine with some marks from field use. The forend has been recheckered and grades about fine as well. The barrels are Nitro proofed to 3 tons, "(crown) NP", "(crown) BP", "(crown) BV" + "(crown) BNP". This has double triggers, extractors and a length of pull measuring 14 1/8" over period red rubber buttpad.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a good match, i'd be surprized if it wasn't it (or at least a european clone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd also suggest going easy on the servicing and cleaning-up, and certainly don't do any 'restoration', until the gun has been positively identified and valued.
    Many's the valuable antique that has been significantly devalued by uninformed but enthusiastic restoration.

Almost identical too. Here's what I was thinking of;
    http://www.gunsinternational.com/WCSCOTT-SXS-12-GAUGE.cfm?gun_id=100061171
    100061171-1-l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Only trouble is most of them are 12GA.But myself I would tip on a Webly& Scott and a bit older than early last century,as Damascus barrels were starting then to become a thing of the past.Check around for proof marks again.It might have been reproved from black powder to nitro with damascus barrels,if there is anything that has been "crossed out" so to speak of the proof marks.It will show the gun was nitro proved and you can date it abit more easily.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd swear this is the same shotgun. http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/Higham%20BLE/Higham%20BLE%20Details.htm .Its the same as the one i posted about the other day. Found the exact same shotgun today in Stakelums in Thurles. "E&G Higham" is engraved on the side. There were three shotguns of similar shape and design but only the one in the link above and in Stakelums had the same detail on the breach as the one in the pictures posted by elius.

The one in the link is from the late 1880's but the one in stakelums is not so old.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

These proof marks may help you to verify the origins if you can find proof marks on the shotgun.

Belgium.pdf

Britain 1887-1925.pdf

Britain 1989.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Hi lads thanks for all the info you guys have shown.. I got it back form a service the other day and its a grand job, The barrels where re blued and a good oiling. Although there was a small piting on the barrel its perfectly safe to use...

With regards to make.
    On the underside of the barrel.

It has written,

400, bv, np, bp, nitro proof, 410LC, choke, 7/16

So im taking its since 1904. Judging buy the Proof markings.
    As for make make although those guns posted are similar mine has very little in the way of ingraving. Must have been a budget one:D

Can anyone reccomend an irish antique's gun dealer is there even one.

Thanks again lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

elius wrote: »
    Hi lads thanks for all the info you guys have shown.. I got it back form a service the other day and its a grand job, The barrels where re blued and a good oiling. Although there was a small piting on the barrel its perfectly safe to use...

With regards to make.
    On the underside of the barrel.

It has written,

400, bv, np, bp, nitro proof, 410LC, choke, 7/16

So im taking its since 1904. Judging buy the Proof markings.
    As for make make although those guns posted are similar mine has very little in the way of ingraving. Must have been a budget one:D

Can anyone reccomend an irish antique's gun dealer is there even one.

Thanks again lads

Just a thought. Try contacting Fultons Gunsmiths on the Bisley Range UK. These guys have been around a long time and may be able to help you. Just a friendly thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Grind up a bit of chalk and dust it along any proof marks or stampings you can find, this should show them up nicely for a photo.
    There could be more than you can make out on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

could it be a bsa ? looks like one i used to have .

• Advertisement
Advertisement