Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The purpose of this forum / Suggestions

• 05-06-2009 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

The Dance Music Production Forum aims to be a focused exchange of information for development of production skills and to help those beginning this growing area of electronic music and beyond.

We'd ask that people bring their first hand experiences of equipment and techniques, but please be aware that other users may use different equipment and respect the differences in contributions.

We'd be open too suggestions for stickies, and personally i'd like see some detailed guides that newbies can be pointed towards for the biggest areas that most of us may have encountered musically and i'll throw out what I know when I can.

There are also many genres we are dealing with under this thread, if posting advice about techniques - please mention the genre it might be used with (if relevant).

There are some distinct areas that should be pointed out by the posters - dance music aimed at the dance floor and 'electronica' in the broadest sense meaning music that we might make for no reason other than to entertain yourself or not be banged out of 60k rigs.

We will build a page of links to the likes of gearslutz and a 'Basics' thread to send new people too (or we end up repeating ourselves endlessly)

In terms of Gear V Gear arguments and comparision - please be aware that 99% of the readers can probably afford fruity loops/reason/MC303 at best - so please keep things real.

Mac or PC debate? - NO, it's the software/techniques that should be looked at - and quality advice about the production should be generic as people use both platforms.

Too enable a decent level of help for the newbies I will personally be making avaliable copyright free samples and content. If you'd like to contribute content that is either image or audio then PM Neurojazz and I can host files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Excellent stuff..

V.glad that you're on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Cheers, will be an interesting experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Good buzz with the forum.

Fair play Neuro for everything you've done in the past 12 hours.

this forum must have the record for most activity in the first 24 hours of it's existence.

Haha, well the weekend is nearly here and i'll start on the cider ;)

Who knows what will happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Would love to see a video tutorial of a particular program eg. Logic(as i am getting that right now :pac:) and explained in simple terms for a complete noob.
    A track from start to finish. (just a simple track with most basic elements and rules that define a track )
    From loading up samples to finished product.
    Software based track only.

Sick of using various software, just jamming with beats,basslines and general mucking about and not finishing anything :mad:

Video file might be big, but a torrent could be created or FTP etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

derra wrote: »
    Would love to see a video tutorial of a particular program eg. Logic(as i am getting that right now :pac:) and explained in simple terms for a complete noob.
    A track from start to finish. (just a simple track with most basic elements and rules that define a track )
    From loading up samples to finished product.
    Software based track only.

Sick of using various software, just jamming with beats,basslines and general mucking about and not finishing anything :mad:

Video file might be big, but a torrent could be created or FTP etc.
    i just uploaded a video tutorial on basic drum arrangement yesterday.
    have a look around for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Excellant stuff, the mentality that Neurojazz put forward is exactly what I was hoping for. This forum should turn out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭0neo8

I'll be living off this from now on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Guessing this is the best place to ask.

Would anyone be for a 'not enough to justify it's own thread' thread? For just saying random things about production, or asking questions that don't merit a thread etc. Like the random thread over on the main board, except where we won't get judged for talking about production :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah good idea. was thinking a while back when someone was looking for logic tutorials and I said sure just stick up a thread and you'll have most answers in the next post.

A Q&A sticky where Neuro can delete anything but the question and the answer (if the person who asked the question is satisfied with the answer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I see a good few threads with people looking for a collaboration. Can a new thread be stickied for people looking to collab so its in one place?!?

I see a good few threads with people looking for a collaboration. Can a new thread be stickied for people looking to collab so its in one place?!?

Too many stickies! (it gets messy after a while)

BUT, I recommend doing this - get a gmail/google account (it's free) and invite collaborators to a shared Google document to manage the project - that way your project doesn't get buried or hijacked but other people collaborating.

Then the original thread will naturally drop off the page and fresh people don't bump zombie threads (if that makes sense :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77976376#post77976376

Soundcloud embedded player requested anyone like to see this feature being added to the music forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77976376#post77976376

Soundcloud embedded player requested anyone like to see this feature being added to the music forum?

Great idea, but we also have to get the SOPA/ACTA angles checked - Youtube embedding is covered legally - but unsure about the implications of SoundCloud embedding / linking - could be a can of worms, so will check if devs come back and say they can do it :)

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Great idea, but we also have to get the SOPA/ACTA angles checked - Youtube embedding is covered legally - but unsure about the implications of SoundCloud embedding / linking - could be a can of worms, so will check if devs come back and say they can do it :)

Here's something that may be useful soundcloud Content Identification System

If its the same as the myspace identification system its completely flawed. Had uploaded a track to myspace a year or so ago and the automatic copyright filter blocked it saying it was a westbam track from way back yonder. It was the reason I moved to soundcloud actually!
    I looked into how it identified my track, which was 100% original work, as being a westbam track, which sounded nothing like mine, and it turns out it detects frequencies in the audio spectrum to identify content! So the big record companies are basically putting copyright on frequencies! To get around the copyright filter I simply changed the pitch of the entire song up a few cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I was thinking about the "SoundCloud" thread and making it easier for everyone to just add their own boards name and soundcloud name to the list.
    Would be no work involved for the mods except create a public google document and leave the link there so people can add their name real quick?
    Just an idea, I'm a frequent visitor of another section of boards.ie and they have it done.:)

Advertisement