Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

an post delays/customs

• 04-06-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Anyone else finding their items being held in customs a long time? Usually they are quicker then this, Have items still at the mail center in portlaoise since last thursday. Anyone else experiencing this or have your packages been delivered quick during the past week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Haven't anytyhing held by customs recently, normally a day or two is the delay.

You can ring them and ask if you want to know more.

Customs Portlaoise: 051 862 850

Also, An Post Customer Service: 1850575859

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

i dunno i rang those numbers and the one at the sorting center sounds like she's fobbing me off by asking me to ring back on friday late in the evening...when they get off. She told me they are backlogged due to the bank holiday weekend but that doesn't make sense as this came in last thursday. Also they don't seem to be able to check if the packages are there in the sorting center and where they are which i find really weird. Im beginging to assume the worst here. Are robberies, thefts of parcels commonplace in the sorting center. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

It wouldn't be uncommon for customs/sorting office to get backlogged on a bank holiday weekend to be honest. If the package has a tracking number, then you should be safe enough, I don't think it's that common for things to go missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

I had problems with a package myself.
    It wasn't airsoft stuff, but it was just left in the local sorting office. I was told they attempted delivery but no one was home, (even though I work from home, so I'm always home). And they left no slip to say they attempted a delivery. And I was told they tried to deliver it Wednesday the 27th so the bank holiday shouldn't have cause problems for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

If its in the mail centre than Customs have it and will be getting around to putting a charge on it. Any time I get anything that spends more than a few hours in the mail centre it means customs have it. You may have to wait till the release it without charge or sent you out a letter asking for you paypal receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

i'm sorry to jump into this thread but i'm importing stuff soon but i'm afraid customs might charge be loads for the stuff, can anyone enlighten me. i'm getting frags , m203 shells and claymore among other things but they the "worst" i'd say unless mags, face mags and hydration bladder brings up some suspicion :rolleyes:
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I do believe it is called tax. Get the total cost in Euro and divide it by four. That is roughly how much you will have to pay.

total with cost of delivery or without it?:confused:

Without it I do believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Without it I do believe.

Its actually with, believe it or not. Shipping fees are liable for VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

It depends where you are importing from, if its from outside the EU VAT is due. I'm expecting a shipment from Poland but as I've paid VAT there should be nothing to pay.

o with, thanks Shiva, its about 350 ish i'm ordering from ehobbyasia.com just some stuff no guns, i'll be going to eirsoft for the 3.8 baby hi capa :D love that gun. so 88€ that nearly as much as delivery, delivery is €90 is it me or does that seem a bit much:confused:

Is it express delivery?

ye its the only one i can choose :confused:

That is why it is E90, express delivery prices, are based on destination, weight and cost, the only reason you can choose express delivery is because of what you have ordered.

o rite so what would i have to order to get other shipping options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I was told they attempted delivery but no one was home, (even though I work from home, so I'm always home). And they left no slip to say they attempted a delivery.
    I've had that happen to me, even though I was at home at the time, actually watching TV in my front room with a view of the front gate. I suspect it's the delivery driver basically lying because he couldn't make it in time for whatever reason. They get away with it because most people don't pursue the issue or often as not there is no one home. Next time it happens. I'm making an official complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Next time it happens. I'm making an official complaint.

Yeah. Exact thing happened to Doc just this week with An Post. He made the complaint, and his dad is a pretty senior chap in An Post (Yes, thats right...Doc's dad actually is the postman !) All to no avail...Moggy ended up going out of his way to collect it. I have had nothing but trouble using An Post, with the result we actually use a courier company now rather than deal with them. When we had a particularly busy week, we'd often have a couple of hundred parcels sitting in the local depot waiting for collection, and the guy who was supposed to collect them would take one look at them, and leave it for the next guy.

An Post are a joke. They still seem to have the monopoly mindset.

I was talking to Doc last week i think it was in your shop and he was saying that he was ordering stuff in, that sucks that it never arrived, did he get it it the end. Do An Post "deliver" the items when people order on line 'cause if they do ans people are this much problems I might have a few my self :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

T4RGET wrote: »
    I was talking to Doc last week i think it was in your shop and he was saying that he was ordering stuff in, that sucks that it never arrived, did he get it it the end. Do An Post "deliver" the items when people order on line 'cause if they do ans people are this much problems I might have a few my self :(

Yeah they do unfortunately, on another note my own Ebaybanned order was seized for charges, my first encounter with Customs and Excise.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

An Post are a joke. They still seem to have the monopoly mindset.
    or the old style public service (lack of) mindset. Couriers are better, the last two actually rang me to check I was home. But Fedex also do the 'no one at home' trick.

Blay wrote: »
    Yeah they do unfortunately, on another note my own Ebaybanned order was seized for charges, my first encounter with Customs and Excise.:rolleyes:

So what did you do, did you get it back, or have to pay xtra?

So what did you do, did you get it back, or have to pay xtra?

Have to email them the Paypal receipt for the package and pay a charge because it's over a certain limit, think it's €125 then it incurs VAT of 21.5%.

what was the limit? did you order in AEG or just some gear?

what was the limit? did you order in AEG or just some gear?

The limit's €125 I think but if it's over €150 it incurs Customs Duty too. It was a stock, handguard, gearbox and a receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The limit is €40 in my experience, anything over that is slapped with 21.5% VAT.

The limit is €40 in my experience, anything over that is slapped with 21.5% VAT.

Your probably right, €125 is sticking in my head for some reason, seems a bit high though:o

wow the stuff im getting is 264€ ahhhh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

The limit below which you don't have to pay VAT is €25 if I remember correctly but I've never been charged on anything below €30 (the an post handling fee of €6 would be above the VAT amount so it appears they are nice and don't charge). The limit below which you don't have to pay import duty is in the area of €125 (but you still have to pay VAT).

As I said above this is from memory and I'm off my face on coffee so I could be +/- €2 or €3 on the figures.

Most of the confusion seems to come from the fact that not all packages are stopped, and of those that are stopped not all have a charge applied to them. Seems like customs in An Post look at it and decide to hit it with a fee or not.

From my experience An Post beats all the courier companies hands down, they know where I live and I (or someone else) don't have to wait around all day for them to arrive only for them not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 blackest

AN Post and the customs have to be the biggest bunch of.... jokers in ireland I have been waiting for a €28 battery (including delivery since the 18th of November. Unfortunately its been to Ireland twice now just heard this morning from the supplier its been returned to them again.

Just what is their problem. Ok its over €25 so there is €6 vat and €5 for an post collecting the €6 to pay. Thats fair enough but they don't even try to collect it or notify me or anything just ship it back to china.

If I was trying to smuggle in Firearms or drugs or even booze and fags I could understand the problem, But all I want is a decent battery for my laptop.

Has anyone had any success dealing with the P.... ^h customs.

Advertisement