Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS9 fans: Favourite quotes?

• 29-05-2009 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Pretty straightforward. What are your favourite DS9 quotes, from any season? Whether they’re deep, funny, or just delivered brilliantly.

I thought the sweeping statement Quark makes about human nature in The Seige of AR-558 was fairly epic. He says to Nog:

“Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people – as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts... deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers... put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time... and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people will become as nasty and violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces, look at their eyes...”

That really struck a chord with me, although I don’t think it’s true of all humans.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah I really like that Quark quote myself.

Another good one is in ep "in the pale moonlight" where the Romulan senator says "It's a faaaaaake" very good.

Or where the Defiant crew and the Jem Ha'dar are going in search of rebels who control an Iconian gateway and O'Brien says "I am Miles Edward O'Brien I am very much alive and intend to stay that way!".

You'll get some good quotes here..
    http://homepage.eircom.net/%257Eodyssey/Quotes/Popular/SciFi/DS9-47.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Both quotes from In the Pale Moonlight

Elim Garak: Precisely. And the more they deny it, the more the Romulans will think that they are guilty because it is exactly what they would have done in their place. That's why you came to me. Isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant. And in the end all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain.

and

Benjamin Sisko: At 0800 Hours station time, the Romulan Empire formally declared war on the Dominion. They have already struck fifteen bases along the Cardassian border. So this is a huge victory for the good guys! This may even be the turning point of the entire war. There is even a 'Welcome to the Fight' party tonight in the ward room. So... I lied; I cheated; I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men; I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all is... I think I can live with it. And if I'd have to do it all over again... I would. Garak was right about one thing...a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it...because I can live with it. I can live with it. Computer, erase that entire personal log.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Some of the best quotes from DS9 were humorous ones.

Colm Meaneys delivery was brilliant. I posted a link to a card...quote at bottom! :D

http://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?id=15&cardID=2331

Another Colm Meaney quote, and again the delivery was great. I watched this episode again recently...not quite O' Brien though!

http://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?id=4&cardID=76

Quark versus D'Ghor :)

http://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?id=10&cardID=1413

Quark summing up hew-mons

http://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?id=13&cardID=1983

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Hmmmm, nothing so deep comes to mind, but in Way of the Warrior, when Odo finds Quark outside his bar during the station evacuation. Goes something like:

Odo: What are you still doing here?

Quark: I'm staying to defend my bar from the Klingons.

Odo: How?

Quark: With this (holds up box)

Odo: You're going to hit them with a box?

Quark: Its my Ferengi disrupter pistol....yadda...yadda

Quark opens box, disrupter is missing, there is a note: "Quark, I took parts of your disrupter to fix the replicator, will return later, Rom."

Quark: I will kill him!

Odo: With what?

Quite witty, very well delivered by both actors.

(Sorry I couldn't be a**ed getting the correct quotes)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Kiith wrote: »

Elim Garak: Precisely. And the more they deny it, the more the Romulans will think that they are guilty because it is exactly what they would have done in their place. That's why you came to me. Isn't it, Captain? Because you knew I could do those things that you weren't capable of doing. Well, it worked. And you'll get what you want: a war between the Romulans and the Dominion. And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant. And in the end all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain.

and

Benjamin Sisko: At 0800 Hours station time, the Romulan Empire formally declared war on the Dominion. They have already struck fifteen bases along the Cardassian border. So this is a huge victory for the good guys! This may even be the turning point of the entire war. There is even a 'Welcome to the Fight' party tonight in the ward room. So... I lied; I cheated; I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men; I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all is... I think I can live with it. And if I'd have to do it all over again... I would. Garak was right about one thing...a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it...because I can live with it. I can live with it. Computer, erase that entire personal log.

A pair of great quotes by one of the best episodes of the best trek series. I mean, just think about Janeway giving that Sisko quote with that nasal, superior voice..... shudder

As for my favourite quote (Apart from the O'Brien "BOLLOX" Of course) was from one of those (Normally terrible) alternative universe episodes with Ezri Dax and Quark and Rom

Quark: Are you suggesting we go back home?
    Dax: It'd be the smart move.
    Quark: Do we look smart to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I watched the episode with Tosk this morning and it struck me what an unwittingly gas auld fellow he is.

Tosk: I am Tosk.
    O'Brien: Is that your name, or your species?
    Tosk: I am Tosk.

Tosk: I am sorry I have no vices for you to exploit.

^Brilliant

In a way, he almost reminds me of a reptilian-humanoid version of Chuck Norris :p

Tosk: I have no use for fantasy adventure. I live the greatest one could ever desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I'm partial to Worf's words of encouragement to his Baseball team...

"Death to the opposition"

Or his suggestion for a city to visit on Earth...

"Minsk......... Minsk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

One word
    Miles: Bollocks!

I have often wondered if that was written or if Colm just said himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

In the pale moonlight is my all time favourite star trek episode. I actually still have it on vhs somewhere here :D

for quotes quarks opinion on root beer are awesome
    "Root beer. This is the end of Ferengi civilization."

- Quark, on Nog's acceptance to Starfleet Academy

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

My favourite quotes all seem to come from Garak....

Odo to Garak: You would shoot a man in the back?
    Garak: Well, it's the safest way, is'nt it?

Or, when faced with 3 angry Klingons in his tailor shop -

Garak: Let me see... You're either lost, or desperatley searching for a good tailor!

To Doctor Bashir after the aforementiones encounter with the Klingons...

Bashir: They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle!
    Garak: Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

Bashir: Assuming you're not a spy.
    Garak: Assuming.
    Bashir: Then maybe you're an outcast.
    Garak: Or maybe I'm an outcast spy.
    Bashir: How could you be both?
    Garak: I never said I was either.

Garak: The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Everything Garak says is pure gold.

Quark: Garak, I want you to kill me.

Garak: Excellent choice, if I may say so. I offer a wide range of terminatory options, all guaranteed to be of highest quality. If you aren't completely satisfied with the manner of your passing, I'll cheerfully refund your money.

Quark: But I'll be dead!

Garak: Details, details....

"You know what the sad part is? I really am a very good tailor."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Classic Garak...

Garak: Might I trouble you for a glass of canar?
    Quark: Help yourself. It's on the house.
    Garak: How uncharacteristically generous of you.
    Quark: I'm in an uncharacteristic mood. Besides, I've got eighty cases of the stuff sitting in my stockroom and the way things are going I'll never unload another bottle, unless it's to you.
    Garak: How thoughtless of me not to consider the effect the destruction of my homeworld would have on your business. These must be trying times for you. Be brave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

irishthump wrote: »
    To Doctor Bashir after the aforementiones encounter with the Klingons...

Bashir: They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle!
    Garak: Ah, but I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos.

Bashir: Assuming you're not a spy.
    Garak: Assuming.
    Bashir: Then maybe you're an outcast.
    Garak: Or maybe I'm an outcast spy.
    Bashir: How could you be both?
    Garak: I never said I was either.

LOVE these! Garak is hilarious.

Also:

(Bashir tells the story of the boy who cried "Wolf")
    Bashir: If you lie all the time, no one is going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth.
    Garak: Are you sure that's the point, Doctor?
    Bashir: Of course. What else would it be?
    Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Have to say the time Miles states in the presence of Worf that Keiko is having another baby is hilarious. The subsequent look of sheer terror from Worf and quote "What.........Now???" is priceless. Miles then says the predicted due date of the baby to which Worf responds"Erm....unfortunately i will be away......far away.......visiting my parents.....on Earth....Excuse me" Exit stage left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Kiith wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

In the way of the warrior Gowron says in a creepy voice to Sisko, this we do not forgive, or forget.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In the way of the warrior Gowron says in a creepy voice to Sisko, this we do not forgive, or forget.
    Everything Gowron says is either creepy or crazy. Great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

"What's this holosuite program of yours called again?"
    "The Battle of Clontarf. You and me and a thousand stalwart Irish warriors against a ravening hoard of Vikings. It's like the Battle of Britain, only with swords."
    "Why do you get to be the High King?"
    "I'm a direct descendant of King Brian Boru... Besides, it's my program."
    - Bashir and O'Brien, refighting history, "The Bar Association"

cha cha cha cha cha cha.

DS9 os probably my favorite Startrek series.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Has to be from season 6 when The Dominion realised that the Federation was about to retake Deep Space Nine,

The Vorta Weyoun says:
    Ok time to pack

Witty and to the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

Mister LaForge....are we there yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Garak:

I'd like to meet that earl grey fellow and teach him a thing or two about tea leaves

Advertisement